We were so poor that.... A birthday present story

Started by poppy, February 16, 2010, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

My 16 yr. old granddaughter has heard many a story of how poor I was growing up.  One story is that we were so poor that the only Crayola crayons that I ever got was a box of 8.  Only the rich kids got a box of 64.  :(

So guess what my granddaughter got me this past week end for my 64th birthday?

Yep, my first ever box of 64 Crayolas.

And, of course, it has the built in sharpenter.  :D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Love it!   Good grandkid you've got there.   ;D

Sassy

Congratulations!   :)  Now you'll have to do some coloring & post the pix on CP  ;D

Reminds me of the Christmas before my mom passed away...  my sister & I were teasing her that the reason we had problems was because we never got a real Barbie doll   :( Mom said they were too expensive so we'd get the cheap copies.  Anyway, that Christmas (1997) we each got a REAL Barbie doll...  And then what do you think my younger sister did?  She lost the high heel shoes off of her Barbie so took mine!  She used to sneak into my closet & take my clothes & wear them to school - I always took care of mine & hers would end up on the floor or under the bed.   :-\
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

eddiescabin

poppy

Sassy
QuoteNow you'll have to do some coloring & post the pix on CP 
My granddaughter asked me if I also wanted a coloring book, but I said I couldn't stay in the lines; that I was better off going free style.  Anyway, she also expects some work from me, but so far I can't stand to break the "cherry."

The other problem is that with 64 colors, where do I start?  I think I was better off poor.  ::)

I need some ideas to get me started.  :-\

That's a funny story about the dolls.  It's tough being the older sis.

MountainDon

Quote from: poppy on February 17, 2010, 01:46:40 PM

I need some ideas to get me started.  :-\

Cabins, cars, guns. Not necessarily in that order.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cordwood

I still remember the one they called "FLESH"! I don't think that one is around anymore is it? It only came with the fancy ones like Magenta and Burnt Umber & Burnt Sienna, I always thought those were made up names for messed up crayons they couldn't sell to the smart (poor) kids!
I got mad when my Grandparents gave my cousins the big box and gave me the 8 count box that said in big letters on the front "SAFE TO EAT" d* My first picture I drew with them was truck and I only used the Black one, My mom told me I could have done that with a piece of coal like she used to use and I never got anymore crayons much less Crayola Brand crayons. [frus]
We couldn't afford colored paper so the White one was a waste for me. Mine was basically only a 7 pack :-[
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

poppy

cordwood, I feel your pain.  ;)

I always wondered what it really meant when my dad would tell me that all he got in his Christmas stocking was a piece of hard candy and a lump of coal.

I should have realized that the coal had a practical use.  :P

Whitlock

Poppy you want to feel some pain just leave the crayola's in you pocket for your mom to run though the wash :(
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

poppy

Yea Whit, and remember the cars of old that had a shelf behind the rear seat?  Don't leave your crayons on that shelf.  [slap]

eddiescabin

Poppy!  I think we have rounded a corner, now the Grandkids are hanging our crayon drawings on the fridge!

poppy

OK, I'm only doing this because Sassy asked.

My future cabin viewed from the SW.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

hey, that looks great - very nice cabin and you still remembered  how to color  ;D  bet your granddaughter is impressd  :) 

btw, happy b-day!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free