Our 20x34 in our Woods - Central AL

Started by VannL, July 09, 2012, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Quote from: VannL on January 08, 2013, 01:33:38 PM
Well, it looks like I don't have to worry about how unconventional or not my cabin design is. I just ran into a timeline issue. Momma wants the grandkids down here and not 600 miles away. So, working in concert with our daughter and son-in-law, we are going to be able to bring them down in the spring, which now means I will be rebuilding the small bedroom at the back of the house and making a master suite for her and I so the kids can have the much bigger bedroom.

Oh well. Best laid plans and all that. Cabin later.

Thanks guys.

Life has a way of throwing you a curve ball occassionally.  Maybe you can hone in on your construction skills making the additions.  Nothing says you can't post your additions to your home and maybe gain some insight in the process.  G/L

VannL

I like that idea, John. I just might do that. Thanks!
If you build it, it will be yours!

VannL

Orders from the boss. "JUST BUILD ME MY CABIN, PLEASE."

Well, all you had to do was say so. Major remodel turned into minor remodel. Kick starting this project one more time.

I have a few questions going in the General Section regarding 2X6 outer walls and, most importantly, the foundation.

VannL

Well, it finally is happening, we are starting. I didn't have much time this weekend to work on our cabin, but I did get the foundation area staked out. That was a ton of measuring but accuracy is what counts! Yes, I'm taking a huge amount of time getting this part right, but it is the first time I have attempted a foundation of any type and I want it to be as perfect as it can be.

Below are the first pictures in a long line yet to come. Here's to building it!

This is more a ceremonial picture than anything, but it means a lot to me. This is my first stake in the ground. It was a little weird hammering it in and realizing that I was now responsible for not only the design concepts, but also the physical structure of something that will become our permanent home. Very exciting and nervous at the same time.

Here you can see the stakes I hammered in after measuring and remeasuring. I will start working on the batter boards next. Oh, and that tree will have to go.

We have a great tree in our homestead. I like to call it the "Hard Working Honey" tree. Each time I'm in the yard working, some magical elixir appears. I like this tree!

I know it's not much, but after all this time, it's a start. Much more to come!

bayview

Congratulations on getting your project started!

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .