Waterproofing Wooden Garage Floor

Started by jbos333, October 28, 2008, 05:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi everyone, I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this or at least might have a solution (hopefully fairly inexpensive):

I have a 1 car garage on piers (hilly terrain) that I use pretty much just for storage, not for vehicles. I would like to use it for my compact tractor esp. for the upcoming winter. The problem is the floor is a double thickness of 2 x 6 southern yellow pine set flat. I don't want all the snow/ice soaking the floor all winter. I was thinking of cutting a drain hole in the center of the floor and possibly using a thick rubber membrane (pond liner/roof membrane) but I don't know if it would hold up under traffic. Also thought of a self-leveling epoxy or grout? Any new ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance. This forum is great, I read it daily.

rwanders

I don't remember the brand name, but I know both Lowes & Home Depot sell thick rubber interlocking tiles. designed for garage floors, entryways, etc. I would favor good sized floor drains (maybe more than one even) and covering at least the parking area with the rubber tiles.The tiles aren't glued down and are heavy enough to stay in place.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

rwanders

Forgpt to add this to my previous entry----because the tiles use no adhesive and just interlock like jigsaw puzzles it would allow you to easily take them up periodically to allow the wooden floor to dry out and breathe when the weather allows.

MountainDon

A problem I see with those, if they are the ones I'm thinking of, is what will happen if you turn the steering wheel while on the rubber squares.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

Not sure about that situation-----but they are marketed for garage floors. I have seen similar material sold as sheet goods like vinyl flooring specifically for garages at Costco.

Redoverfarm

jbos333 There are a couple of problems that I see with your desire.  One being that cutting a hole in the floor will only drain within a small area unless the floor is pitched toward the drain.  If you go with tiles the water will seep down between the joints and accumulate between the tile and the floor which would be an accident waiting to happen in regards to rot and mildew.

If you would go with the one piece membrane and then the tiles or some other surface for the wear the water would accumulate between the two and if both were water proof there shouldn't be a problem. Just take a broom and work it to the door if it starts to puddle.

glenn kangiser

I think EPDM will likely do it -- possibly research it more.  Lowes and HD sell it I think but a place in Oregon is about 1/2 price.

Found it.

http://www.direct2usales.com/

Check compatibility or resistance to oil.  UV does not bother it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

EPDM (60mil) is used to line the huge spill containment structures at the Valdez Marine Terminal of the trans-alaska oil pipeline. It is definitely compatible with hydrocarbons. It can be mechanically damaged however so something to protect it at least where tractor wheel wear could be a problem would be advisable.

jbos333

Thanks for all the replies. I think the epdm is the way to go. Maybe some recycled snowmobile tracks upside down for wear resistance in traffic area.Glenn,I'll check out that online source, locally I found a 10x20 60 mil for $175.00 + tax. Was hoping for free but I'll probably be waiting a while for that!

glenn kangiser

That doesn't sound too bad - I think 50x 15 at HD was around $400

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

It's a shame you couldn't find someone taking out an above ground pool to use their liner.  Maybe Glenn would let you use his liner ;D

glenn kangiser

Sorry, John.  Winter time it comes back in to cover the mattress.  [crz]

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free