2 story post and beam foundation questions

Started by Jimmy_Cason, February 22, 2005, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

We plan on building the house  20' x 40'

Due to a 54" in drop in elevation along the 40 foot span. I will not be able to do a slab foundation.

While looking over the plans for framing the floor I've become a bit confused.

If I plan to use regular wood joists (not I-joists),
Will the end beams and center beam need to be a build up of 3 or 4  2x12's then place 2x12 joists on top of those? Also do the  beams and floor joists need to be pressure treated?

One more question.
Will the 6x6 post be sturdy enough with the 54" ground to beam distance?

jraabe

Yes, the built up girder is under the joists. A 6x6 solid or built up post will be fine under the girder. Use a bracket or a couple of 1x6s to reinforce the joint. You will be doing a vented crawlspace I presume. You do not need PT wood unless it is close to the ground (less than 6"). See Wagner, "House Framing" p. 71, 75.

Jimmy_Cason

Thanks John, I bought the book yesterday. It will make things so much easier!

I still have a question after browsing the book.
If I want to make a 6"x12" built up beam.
Will this need to be three 2x12s  or four 2 x12s?

Here is my confusion.

6x6 posts= 5-1/2"

2"x12"=   1-1/2" thick x 3 boards= 4-1/2"

2"x12"=   1-1/2" thick x 4 boards= 6-1/4"

For the post and beam foundation
it shows a 6x12 beam

Am I reading the plans correctly?

I am trying to get my foundation planning and cost together and I dont want to over build or under build.

jraabe

There are a couple of ways to do built up beams. If you have construction adhesive and extra plywood use 3 - 2x's glued up with 2 - 1/2" ply layers = 5 1/2". Nail from both sides into the end 2x.

Or you can use 4 2x's and shim at the post for the connection.

Preston

I know this is an OLD post but now I'm wondering Jimmy.  You said you used 3 2x12's, even though that equals 4 1/2 has that worked for you?  Hopefully someone will read this!  if not i'll PM

Preston
The secret to being boring is to say everything.  --Voltaire

MountainDon

In a word, spacers.   :)

see    http://www.countryplans.com/builtupbeam.html

That link's at the bottom of the Country Plans Home Page (not the forum page.)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Preston

Thanks MountainDon for the link!  I ran across it months ago but have since fogotten.  Do you think that it's necessary to do that or do you think there would be a significant difference between doing the built-up beam with spacers compared to three 2x12's together?

-Preston

MountainDon

Well, one of the big reasons for building it with spacers is to bring the size up to where it will fit standard post bases, caps, etc.

The primary strength does come from the 2x. The use of 1/2 spacers doesn't add much to cost, and adds a little strength. If you were wanting to save something there, and if you didn't place more value on your time than on materials, there is a way to save a little cash.

Instead of cutting full depth 1/2" material you could cut 2 to 3" strips and nail them in at the upper and lower edges of the 2x material. Lot more work but about half the spacer material.  This is what I plan on doing. Cut the material all to size here and nail up the completed beams on site.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Preston

I like the idea of bringing the mto site already built.  Guess it's time to get a truck...

desdawg

Trucks and trailers. How does anyone ever get along without them? I don't even own a car.  
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Built up beams are heavy. Well, so are one piece beams.  :) That and the length are my reasons for site assembly. I don't have the machinery to assist and there won't be more than just 2 of us.

Jimmy_Cason

O.M.G!!!!
I  remember when I asked this question in Feb. of 2005.. It is now Oct. 2007.  
Wow! When I think of all the things I have learned from the folks at Countryplans.com.

At the time of that initial post I was not sure if I would be able to do this.
Everytime I had a question I got an answer...Or two....or  Three....

Preston, in answer to your question...
I did not use spacers and it did cause me to get creative with securing brackets.

glenn-k

No question about if you can do it now, eh, Jimmy.  

We knew you could all along. :)

Preston

Jimmy, It's nice to see what you've done and knowing where you came from 2 years ago!  I've been playing the can I's in my head all day, everyday, but I've seen the incredible support that everyone has for everyone here!  It's almost time to buy plans now  8-)