Want to build inexpensive 1BR house in backyard

Started by Trader Will, June 13, 2010, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trader Will

Hi all,

I would like to build a simple 1BR house in my backyard. This is going to be my first house that I'm building. I like the little house plans 14x24 with the flat roof, but I would like it to be a bit bigger, and have 1BR instead of just one big room. Do you guys have any recommendations for me in terms of plans? The house can't be taller than 15 ft high due to zoning restrictions, but that's ok because I like the idea of the flat roof for ease of building. With the little house plans can you use the roof as a deck?

I'm in Jacksonville FL, and if I build it with minimal cost in mind, but also have a kitchen and a bathroom; do you think I can keep my costs under $40 per square foot? I know it can be tough to estimate these things, the little house plans says you can build the small cottage at $10 a square foot, so I was thinking if I can keep it under $40 or maybe $50 with some local help, that would be great. Any ideas to perhaps point me in the right direction for getting started on finding plans or any other tips you can think of would be very good. Tnx in advance.

glenn kangiser

The Big Enchilada Plans kit would give you the Little House Plans plus several ways to expand.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/43.html
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

You could also extend the length of the Little House to make it larger.  Width changes do not work well.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Trader Will

Could I take the little house plans from 14x24 up to 14x28 or maybe 14x30 or 14x32 and still do the pier and post foundation and have the flat roof? What size do you think I should make it in order to partition off 1BR? With the space I'm working with I need the house to be a rectangle. Also, I was thinking I could get the structure built first then finish the inside and add appliances as I get more money.  What would be a reasonable operating budget before I attempt getting started, 10K? ???

Don_P

I suspect you will need to run this through the building dept there. That potentially will have an impact on budget. I believe you are in a ~120 mph wind zone. I suspect you will need more foundation than you are thinking.

archimedes

I built a 16 X 24  1.5 story, one bedroom with a kitchen, in central FL for about $22k - give or take.  That was everything (except tools), foundation, lumber, siding, windows, plumbing, electrical, appliances, cabinets, flooring.  I did all the work myself so there was no labor expense in that number - my number is materials only.  Your mileage may vary.

P.S.  I built it about 5 years ago, before I found this website, so I didn't have John's plans.  Consequently, there were quite a few head scratching moments, and hours on the internet looking for answers,  I highly recommend you get the plans.

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

bayview

We built a 16X20 "Mother-In-Law" cabin with a full bath for $41.00 per sq. ft.   Using a concrete foundation.   2X6" walls, full closet, Pergo flooring, acrylic tub.  We built our own cabinets.   Exterior was completed with Hardi siding and architectural shingles.  We did sub-contract the foundation and the sheetrock.  Under counter frig, microwave and hot-plate.   We don't have a conventional stove.

Not included in the price was water and sewer hookup.

Here is a floor plan of the cabin we built . . . Opps, the door swings toward the tub, not the sink.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

DirtyLittleSecret

First off, what is the intent/purpose of building the said "home"?  Is it for a mother in law, expanded guest house, sole residence, etc?  Will make a huge difference in how much you'll want to spend on such things as appliances and the layout (ie: if its a guest house you probably wont need a washer/dryer/dish washer/full size range or fridge).  I believe you can adjust the length of the CP little house kit out as much as your wallet will stretch.  Oh, and as a first timer I found that I underestimated the costs of the necessary/wanted tools (but I also bought nice tools).  Best bang for the buck: Ridgid palm nailer.

Dang Bayview, that's a great floorplan.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Trader Will

It's going to be a mother in law suite type of place, I would like to partition off a bedroom though if budgeting allows. I would like to have a stacked washer and dryer eventually, but there's a washer and dryer in the main house so I guess I could skip that for now, maybe permanently. I was envisioning living in the house out back and renting out the front house. I can get by with a fridge and a hot plate, though I would like to have a little range with an oven eventually, though perhaps I can get by with counter top appliances. Rigid Palm Nailer is a new one to me, what is it?

Trader Will

Quote from: Don_P on June 14, 2010, 05:43:39 AM
I suspect you will need to run this through the building dept there. That potentially will have an impact on budget. I believe you are in a ~120 mph wind zone. I suspect you will need more foundation than you are thinking.

Yes, I forgot about hurricane requirements. I might end up having to get a concrete foundation. Though the House I'm in now is an above grade wood frame house sitting on bricks built in 1940.

Trader Will

Quote from: DirtyLittleSecret on June 14, 2010, 11:10:46 AM
First off, what is the intent/purpose of building the said "home"?  Is it for a mother in law, expanded guest house, sole residence, etc?  Will make a huge difference in how much you'll want to spend on such things as appliances and the layout (ie: if its a guest house you probably wont need a washer/dryer/dish washer/full size range or fridge).  I believe you can adjust the length of the CP little house kit out as much as your wallet will stretch.  Oh, and as a first timer I found that I underestimated the costs of the necessary/wanted tools (but I also bought nice tools).  Best bang for the buck: Ridgid palm nailer.

Dang Bayview, that's a great floorplan.

I'm either going to live in the front and rent the back to the someone or vice versa. I was thinking more along the lines of living in the back and renting out the front.

Trader Will

Quote from: bmancanfly on June 14, 2010, 08:23:47 AM
I built a 16 X 24  1.5 story, one bedroom with a kitchen, in central FL for about $22k - give or take.  That was everything (except tools), foundation, lumber, siding, windows, plumbing, electrical, appliances, cabinets, flooring.  I did all the work myself so there was no labor expense in that number - my number is materials only.  Your mileage may vary.

P.S.  I built it about 5 years ago, before I found this website, so I didn't have John's plans.  Consequently, there were quite a few head scratching moments, and hours on the internet looking for answers,  I highly recommend you get the plans.

Ya I'll probably end up buying the little house plans, tnx.

Trader Will

Quote from: bayview on June 14, 2010, 09:28:38 AM

We built a 16X20 "Mother-In-Law" cabin with a full bath for $41.00 per sq. ft.   Using a concrete foundation.   2X6" walls, full closet, Pergo flooring, acrylic tub.  We built our own cabinets.   Exterior was completed with Hardi siding and architectural shingles.  We did sub-contract the foundation and the sheetrock.  Under counter frig, microwave and hot-plate.   We don't have a conventional stove.

Not included in the price was water and sewer hookup.

Here is a floor plan of the cabin we built . . . Opps, the door swings toward the tub, not the sink.

Thanks for the numbers, good to know. I know I can't do all the work myself. I'll probably end up being the general contractor, and then offer my services as a laborer to the subs in an attempt to reduce costs. I do like the idea of building this thing myself a little at a time after work, but I don't know how realistic that is because I've never built anything like this before. I would say my handy skills are low to moderate.
/

Trader Will

What size dimensions do you think I would need to make the little house plan long enough to partition off 1BR? If one of the stock plans comes as 14x24 would I have to bump it to 14x28 to make it big enough for a bedroom on one end, or would I have to bump it to 14x30 do you think? I'm just trying to get a rough idea. tnx

John Raabe

Have you seen this Little House in the CountryPlans Gallery? (check out others in the Gallery too)

http://www.countryplans.com/keller.html

None of us are as smart as all of us.

DirtyLittleSecret

Quote from: Trader Will on June 14, 2010, 01:45:54 PM
Rigid Palm Nailer is a new one to me, what is it?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100618250&navFlow=3&keyword=palm+nailer&langId=-1&searchRedirect=palm+nailer&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%403c581776&ddkey=Search

I'd also look into the Haier (check amazon) washer and dryers as they are tiny, but work great.  BTW: is your 15 foot rule to the ridge or the median of the roof?  Many roof height requirements are median and would afford you a loft area (more room/vaulted).

Trader Will

Quote from: John Raabe on June 14, 2010, 08:41:55 PM
Have you seen this Little House in the CountryPlans Gallery? (check out others in the Gallery too)

http://www.countryplans.com/keller.html

That pic in the link I like, it's pretty much what I want to do as far as lengthening the plan to add 1BR, but I'm pretty sure zoning says I can't make the house more than 15 ft high, so would that angled roof work? If I could build the house with a loft office like the pic shows that would be awesome, but that house seems like its taller than 15ft, so I was thinking of going with the deck roof version. Anybody know how tall the house in the link is, and or is there any reason I can't do the flat roof with the little house plans modified to something like 14x30? Tnx

Trader Will

Quote from: DirtyLittleSecret on June 14, 2010, 08:57:05 PM
Quote from: Trader Will on June 14, 2010, 01:45:54 PM
Rigid Palm Nailer is a new one to me, what is it?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100618250&navFlow=3&keyword=palm+nailer&langId=-1&searchRedirect=palm+nailer&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%403c581776&ddkey=Search

I'd also look into the Haier (check amazon) washer and dryers as they are tiny, but work great.  BTW: is your 15 foot rule to the ridge or the median of the roof?  Many roof height requirements are median and would afford you a loft area (more room/vaulted).

Oh its a nail gun. I thought it was some kind of siding.  :D

The question about the roof line is a good one, I don't know the answer to it, but I'll find out. If I could have a loft that would be great. I could just make the loft the bedroom, or do like this guy did and make the loft an office and still do the bedroom. I like the looks of the house with the steep roof and metal shingles. Is that galvanized iron the inexpensive way to do a metal roof?

Does the median of the roof mean the height of the ceiling, or does that mean halfway to the peak of the roof?

DirtyLittleSecret

halfway from the top of the ridge to the bottom of the eaves (you can always make eaves a little longer to give more headroom though I seem to remember there being a code limiting them to something like 3')...