Nice house in Scotland

Started by Alasdair, August 05, 2010, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasdair

Stopped and snapped some pics of this new build last time I was home. Thought some country planners might like the style.

Al

glenn kangiser

Neat house and looks like it could be done similar off of the 20x30.

I have done some of the wavy edge siding on my mill.  Do you know what type wood they use there for it, Al?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dug

Love it! Especially the siding and the (octagonal?) dormers. I'll have to build a few more houses before I attempt that math!  [crz]

considerations

I've planned on that wavy siding look for a few years.  It would be Western Red cedar, which is the predominant tree around here.

Alasdair

Looks like it's most likely Larch with a stain on it.

Pritch

Beautiful.  I saw some similar dormers recently and wished I  had a camera so I could share them here.  Vey rustic, even with the solar water, skylights, and satellite dish!  Needs a chimney or  two, though!  :D   
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

Nice look and I like the siding too. However, I don't understand why there is no rain cover for the doors. This is Scotland is it not?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Alasdair

Since rain in Scotland is usually horizontal the whole house is a rain cover. We call the ones around doors porches ... ;)

DirtyLittleSecret

Homes in Scotland have no foundations.  They have moorages.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

considerations

I've been there in the "Spring"....Just like the North Coast - Raw, wet, and wild.....but when the wind calms down and the temperature increases, the midges appear!  Spring in Scotland is ok.....I suppose winter is similar to ours as well. 

Being from the "Left Coast" it was hard to get my head around touching buildings that were easily 1,000 years old.  It the rare building around here that is older than about 1850.   

MushCreek

I did some research on that kind of siding, and it has a number of names- Adirondack, live edge, flitch, even 'brainstorm'. I really like it; there was an old house in CT like that. That's a neat looking house- interesting dormers.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.