Window Bottom Height Code?

Started by Willy, April 06, 2008, 10:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

What is the minium window bottom height before it has to be saftey glass? Does it only have to be saftey glass if the pane is large enough to walk thru by accident like a sliding glass door window size? In reading the code it is a little confusing. I take it as 18 inches for fixed windows but in 24 inches for non/fixed regular sized windows. Of course if there not installed by pools, saunas, stairs ect. Mark

PEG688

Quote from: Willy on April 06, 2008, 10:48:53 AM

#1: What is the minium window bottom height before it has to be saftey glass?

#2: Does it only have to be saftey glass if the pane is large enough to walk thru by accident like a sliding glass door window size?

#3: In reading the code it is a little confusing.

#4:I take it as 18 inches for fixed windows but in 24 inches for non/fixed regular sized windows.

#5: Of course if there not installed by pools, saunas, stairs ect. Mark

#1: 18" to the glass  from the floor .

#2: No what your confusing here is IF you have a re-light ( window to side of a door )  that window  has to be 2 feet away from the active side / and or side of any door , AS well as 18 " off the floor .

#3: They like it that way ::) And as we / I know from being on forums the written word is rarely clear when dealing with building issues , builders / language  , ability to read  without bias , etc all contribute to this non- clarity.

#4: See #2.   

#5:  Yes all those add other issues into the mix.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

Mark from what I have read in a publication titled Modern Carpentry by Willis Wagner the top of the window glass is set to 6'8".  The bottom varies from room to room IE Living rooms the bottom of the glass at 12", Dining Room @ 2'6" and the Kitchen @ 3'-3'6".  I am not sure how this aligns with code.

Willy

Quote from: PEG688 on April 06, 2008, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: Willy on April 06, 2008, 10:48:53 AM

#1: What is the minium window bottom height before it has to be saftey glass?

#2: Does it only have to be saftey glass if the pane is large enough to walk thru by accident like a sliding glass door window size?

#3: In reading the code it is a little confusing.

#4:I take it as 18 inches for fixed windows but in 24 inches for non/fixed regular sized windows.

#5: Of course if there not installed by pools, saunas, stairs ect. Mark

#1: 18" to the glass  from the floor .

#2: No what your confusing here is IF you have a re-light ( window to side of a door )  that window  has to be 2 feet away from the active side / and or side of any door , AS well as 18 " off the floor .

#3: They like it that way ::) And as we / I know from being on forums the written word is rarely clear when dealing with building issues , builders / language  , ability to read  without bias , etc all contribute to this non- clarity.

#4: See #2.   

#5:  Yes all those add other issues into the mix.   
Wow thanks for the answer in great detail! Now tomorrow I will not feel unconfertable framing in my loft window upstairs which I needed to do to finish. I wanted a egress size window (which wasn't realy required) but my wall size did not allow a large one unless I lowerd it some. I was shooting for 24 inches off the floor since it would be next to a bed area and not in a well traveled walk way spot. Mark

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 06, 2008, 12:24:07 PM
Mark from what I have read in a publication titled Modern Carpentry by Willis Wagner the top of the window glass is set to 6'8".  The bottom varies from room to room IE Living rooms the bottom of the glass at 12", Dining Room @ 2'6" and the Kitchen @ 3'-3'6".  I am not sure how this aligns with code.
All my windows are set at 6' 8" to the top including my doors and slider. I used a 2x12 header on all of them so they matched. This one window is up in the loft and will not have a real header since it is not a bearing wall and under the rafter on the side of the building. It is a top angled wall and it messes with the height if I wanted the wider egress window. Mark