Protecting new floors from water damage

Started by Willy, December 29, 2007, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I built a A-Frame Cabin many years (30) ago and just rememberd doing it. When I put down my plywood I painted it real good with several coats right away before any rain got on it. The paint worked great for sealing the wood and keeping the water from soaking in. When it did rain it beaded up and was easy to sweep off. After the roof was up there was no damage at all to the wood and paint is cheap! You could also use some Tompson Water Seal to help during the short time the wood is exposed. Mark

Redoverfarm

Mark I would spend the extra money and invest in Advantex or similar product. It is T&G 3/4" that is good for a least a year.  I used it and mine was exposed for a good 6 months in the winter with snow and there was no damage just discolorization.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 29, 2007, 06:29:11 PM
Mark I would spend the extra money and invest in Advantex or similar product. It is T&G 3/4" that is good for a least a year.  I used it and mine was exposed for a good 6 months in the winter with snow and there was no damage just discolorization.
I haven't heard of that material before. On my new cabin I am planing on having the roof on in a few weeks so that won't be a problem. I was thinking of covering the floor with my ground vapor barrier material till I got back in a few days for more work. My plan is when I start is to use up a full load of lumber, work 2 days in a row come home for more materials and a shower/cloths change ect and go back again. I will keep this up till it is done. Should not take but a few weeks to have it all dried in and painted. I should say when I was building a few years back it could be done but I hope I am not that run down yet? Mark

rdpecken

Quote from: Willy on December 29, 2007, 06:44:19 PM
I was thinking of covering the floor with my ground vapor barrier material till I got back in a few days for more work.

I'm not certain about the ground vapor material, but I suspect the results may be similar to the tarp that I placed tight over the floor for the shed that I built prior to our little house...

We got condensation under the tarp, which was in contact with the floor, which had pretty bad water blistering about a month later. ???
I never tried the paint or Thompson's water seal, but just left the floor to our little house exposed when I built it.
We still got some water blistering, but not nearly as much as on the shed. I would try the paint, if I were to build again.
Later...Randy

FrankInWIS

ask a paint dept. / store expert about type of paint, I believe latex enamel would be the way to go. 

here is something about a Valspar product: 

Features
Interior/Exterior Latex Porch and Floor Paint Enamel is a non-glare, very low sheen acrylic coating which gives floors tough, long-lasting protection. The latex formula is ideal for indoor applications where low odor and fast dry are important. Durable and weather resistant, this enamel lasts for years in exterior applications. Easy water clean up.

Where to Use
Properly prepared concrete, wood, porches, basement floors, stairs, breezeways, primed metal, indoor and outdoor floors. Not for use on exterior wood decks, garage floors or other automobile parking areas.

http://valsparatlowes.com/products/product/Latex_Porch_and_Floor_Paint.html