tresspassing

Started by Michael Lopiccolo, March 28, 2005, 11:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Lopiccolo

Hi ,this is my year to break ground,One problem , quads and snowmobiles.I have 14 ac. up state ny with power lines running threw.I posted, gated my road and even stopped them on my property,still tresspassing. Next step.....Troopers, DEC,Police....sounds good,but Iwill have materials,tools in a shed, and eventually,a cabin. I dont need broken windows ,missing tools etc. Can someone make me feel good about having quads running threw my property?

Shelley

Here's a happy thought.  We've had a robbery of some kind at every house we've built.

We have learned not to leave power tools...but the robbery of only hand tools was still over $1000 to replace.  Those "bucket buddy things or just plain drywall buckets are useful.  Sort your hand tools by task.  Take them with you.

Check your existing HO insurance to veryify they will cover your tools.  Don't put any windows in the shed.  Try to make it as stout as possible.

Get a policy on your new place.  Liability on the vacant land.  Some type of builder's risk when you start construction.

Now, on the other hand, don't think the snowmobilers will rob you.  They're probably just going where they've always gone and the "keep out signs will not stop them...specially if power poles are the only improvements.

You could fence it I suppose.  Simple wire fence with T-posts would keep them out unless they're totally preverse and cut it.  Least that would show you what kind of people you're dealing with.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

hunter63

Power lines may have an easement thru your property, check with them on what can be done.

How well do you get along w/ the "locals"?
Got in w/ some at the local saloon when I first purchased my property, they spread the word and help watch it.

Still the cabin got broke into, took booze and a flashlite, but other than the door nothing else was harmed. Broke the door in.(Standard prefab door, so just popped the pins and replaced it)

Still only leave "China" tools behind.

Rob Baker

I take all my tools, both hand and power, with me when I leave and I also leave the door unlocked. I haven't had any problems since I started doing this. I was thinking about a remote Web-based  camera but when you're 300 klicks away, what's the point?

glenn kangiser

The only way that would work was if you also added a remote detonator ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

QuoteI take all my tools, both hand and power, with me when I leave and I also leave the door unlocked. I haven't had any problems since I started doing this. I was thinking about a remote Web-based  camera but when you're 300 klicks away, what's the point?

Would work great in an area where ATV's are registered. Nice picture of the crime and the getaway plates.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Pete Velsko

Hi, In regards to your concern about property tresspassing, I would contact the electric company and see (if any) what responsibilities they may have as far tresspassing on their rigth of way. You need to be careful as far as allowing people to use your property. Do you know what a "Prescriptive Easement" is? I don't think you want to find yourself having to deal with that type of potential situation. Good luck. Pete

markbrown

if you have snow, try a load of chicken poop, right where they enter, this worked for my dad's next door farmer friend, they were killing the winter wheat.  quads and snowmobile do not mix well with chicken poop.
Mark