Trees

Started by firefox, June 28, 2013, 03:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

I believe sometime around 2001 a neigbor showed up and asked if I would like
some trees for my front yard which he would give to me. Sounded good, so I said sure.
He brought over three very tiny trees that were at most 2 1/2 feet tall, and very scrawny
and feeble looking. I had already said I would take them, so I planted them on the corner in a triangle about 6 feet apart from each other. I was convinced that one of them would never make it and I had my doubts about another.

As you may have surmized, we live in Berkeley, CA, and the trees are redwoods.

I am now faced with a little problem. The trees are now way taller than my house
and are starting to get close to the power lines. I guess I shouldn't have worried about their surviving.

Can someone recomend a branch clipper that has a long extension that would allow me to clip small branches that are getting close to the power lines? I don't think I need anything motorized since these are basicly pretty slim branches not more than
about 1/2 inch in diameter. Maybe a little bigger but not by much.

I almost hate to clip them since they are beautiful trees, but I can't afford to piss off the power company.

Obviously price is a concern, but I don't want something that will fall appart.

Thanks for any help,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

John Raabe

Here are some to look at. These have a pull rope clipper and a pruning saw on an extension arm.

http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1260422

I think I got one with a fiberglass arm maybe 10 years ago. It still works fine - when I give it minimum attention (cleaning and oiling).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

firefox

Thank you very much John!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MountainDon

We have one of those that extends to an overall length of 24 feet.  Had it for years and have recently (last year, maybe the year before) finally replaced the blade. Handy but can be arm tiring if used a lot in a short space of time.

There is a tiny Sequoia in the forest next door to us. Planted by a mischievous forester (not I) several years ago. I wonder how it will fare; started out as one of a dozen. I guess it would be called an invasive species? I think of it as bringing diversity to the forest.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: John Raabe on June 28, 2013, 05:06:46 PM
Here are some to look at. These have a pull rope clipper and a pruning saw on an extension arm.

http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1260422

I think I got one with a fiberglass arm maybe 10 years ago. It still works fine - when I give it minimum attention (cleaning and oiling).

Bruce we have a couple of those one with the fiberglass handle and one aluminum tubing that me dad owned still in great shape. Both are in great shape after a lot of years.  Not exactly 24/7 service but they have a fair amount of usage.  Neither ready for the land fill. 

But if you need a power pole saw one of these days with those critters I think I would rent before I buy with just a couple  three trees.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

firefox

Thanks guys! I ordered the one from Ace that John refered to. I figure I can carefully get up on a
solid A type ladder if I need any extra height since I could place it on a sidewalk and not in rough ground. also with some one holding the ladder. I could also make an extension if I have to.

These trees are growing at a tremendous rate.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

cholland

You planted the tallest tree in the world. Redwoods are amazing at surviving, especially in Northern California. They will grow fast with lots of water. The branches you cut off will also take root if you stick them in the ground and keep it moist. One of the very few conifer trees that will do that. If you want more that is.

firefox

Thanks Cholland, I was actually thinking of adding another to the back of the property.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Before and after shots for the curious, thanks to the help of a real friend.

I believe this was taken in 2001

Here are the two after shots:

This is the one that I was concerned about getting close to the power cables.

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Thanks again for the referal  John, and now you can see why I needed it.
Thanks also to Don for helping me wit the post and the nice editing.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rick91351

WHOA Bruce here in Idaho the utilities do that kind of trimming.  Actually they contract with a tree trimmer.  Would assume would be the same there.  It does not cost us anything.  Well maybe on everyone's power bill.   ???  Nothing is free....  We have to trim from the meter or is it the transformer   ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

firefox

To be honest, I didn't check d* But I really don't want someone else cutting on my trees if I can avoid it.
I would just as soon not have a ragged mess of a hole.
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rick91351

Bruce here they are a first class bonded company like Davey.  They come up here every other year with a rep from Idaho Power.  They are a no BS outfit and just do a great job.  Even up here they chip all the branches and clean everything up better than they found it.   

But hard telling what it is there however. 

firefox

Thanks Rick, I think I will ask around and see what the story is. I still need to do the limbs that
are providing highways for mice to the roof, so the clipper is definetely not a wast.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Thanks again John, I got the corona tree pruner today, and man is that thing sharp!
I have the blood to prove it, just removing the blade from the package. ;D
Ace's price is also lower than from the Corona web site.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824