Shopping for a new cell service provider.

Started by NM_Shooter, May 09, 2012, 12:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Sprint service has been horrible.  Looking at the other "plans" and all these folks are nothing but criminals.  The way that they all collude to force you to buy data plans if you have a smart phone.  Or you can go with a simple phone that is a cripple and works very poorly.  Those are the choices, thanks for playing.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

I use T Mobile and have full data access and no plan. I pay about a hundred dollars a month for two phones and unlimited everything.
The bad part is I don't use mine for much because I can't see the damn phone. I do use the phone as a mobile hotspot for my laptop or tablet and I can read them sometimes.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sassy

Quote from: peternap on May 25, 2012, 06:37:27 AM

The bad part is I don't use mine for much because I can't see the damn phone. I do use the phone as a mobile hotspot for my laptop or tablet and I can read them sometimes.

I had that problem too, Peternap...  the Samsung Note is much better for me.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

AdironDoc

Beggars can't be choosers. As much as I think ATT is overpriced, I have to say, even way up in the forest, miles from the nearest one horse town, I get full signal. Verizon swore they got the whole region covered but when I asked the salesman to zoom in on the coverage map, there was one small patch that wasn't shaded. That would be me  ;D

tommytebco

here's another solution, from blog in mother earth news

http://www.motherearthnews.com/the-happy-homesteader/living-off-grid-remote-cell-service.aspx

I have a cheaper alternative, from the same supplier on order. "from no bars to full bars" is the claim.

I'll report back after I get it and try it out.

I use Virgin Mobile FYI.

NM_Shooter

Excellent post Tommy!

I was unaware of the field test mode.  This will be very handy.  I have the HTC EVO, and entering field test mode (along with other phones) is listed here:

http://www.wpsantennas.com/pdf/testmode/fieldtestmodes.pdf

BTW, rumor is that Verizon is coming out with a family data plan this summer.  I'm going to tread water until then.

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

tommytebco

thanks Shooter,

FYI, virgin is a prepaid service, owned by Sprint,  that uses Sprint towers.

Current rates are $35 per mo.for unlimited data and messaging with 300 phone minutes.Up to $50 or so for unlimited everything. You have to buy your phone.

Squirl

I had the wilson electronic booster.  I had the one in the Jeep (stolen).  It worked great.  I went from the job site with no signal to 4-5 bars.  I went from 1-2 bars edge data service to 5bars 3G.  I had the one with a receiver antenna for the whole cabin of the vehicle.  That is bunk.  I had to hold the receiver antenna directly to the phone, but then it worked great. 

Doc is right, it can be very location specific.  I would love to find another service, but ATT owns upstate NY.  Almost no other service works regularly outside urban areas.