post and beam books, plus....

Started by genebelmont, May 03, 2009, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genebelmont

Hi All,
Does anyone know of a book that is strictly on the subject of post and beam (not timber framing) construction? Most of the references to p&b go straight to timber framing ... waaaaay too complicated for me.  What's puzzling is that most of the info says that p&b is a practical, relatively simple way to build a house, but then no how-to.

Going for a 2fer. Here's a link to a great cabin ... architect calls it a hut ... that I really like for my Hawaii fantasy house.
http://www.momoy.com/2009/04/01/alpine-hut-minimalist-wooden-residence-by-ofis-architect/

The overhangs and insets keep out the sudden rain showers of Hilo and Puna, and the actual foundation pad is small. The 1st floor is about 20x30 and the 2nd is about 20x37.

Dream on ol' Gene

Erin

Make sure to check red's last link.  It's the viewable version of:
Timber Framing for the Rest of Us: A Guide to Contemporary Post and Beam Construction

I have to say that one is probably exactly what you're looking for.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Don_P

"The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" James Mitchell
This one is very technical, not cheap, but is the standard reference "Timber Design Manual" American Institute of Timber Construction. There is alot of info free on their website as well. These are the glulam folks but the principles apply to heavy timber as well. The standard details download is good.
http://www.aitc-glulam.org/shopcart/index.asp
The AFPA free downloads library also has some info. darn, I just checked, they're charging for them now,
http://www.awc.org/Publications/WCD/index.html
PM me if you want them, I can dig around, anything is possible  ;)

As an aside timber framing is wood connected heavy timber framing, post and beam is steel connected heavy timber.

This was a little project around the homestead that got outta hand. It's sort of a Whitmans sampler of timberframe, post and beam and built up construction.
http://windyhilllogworks.com/shop.htm

genebelmont

Hi All,
Sorry to take so long to say thanks for the replies. Gave me some good material to research and ponder.

Did anyone get a chance to peek at the hut (cabin) idea I noted? Don't ya just hate a pushy "newbie?" The reason I like it is because it's about half way between a 1 1/2 and 2 story cottage, which is just what I wanted. And, of course, for all the reasons I cited in the original posting.

Thanks again for the help. 8)

Gene

rwanders

[cool]  The 'Hut" is a great post modern version of a classic cabin design-----beautiful in many settings! It will require some pretty good finishing materials and skills to do it justice. 
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

pagan

The "Hut" is nice, but a tad minimalist for my tastes. I got a kick out of the "Expandable Camper." Looks great...until it rains or the squirrels and raccoons find you.

genebelmont

Hey, thanks rwanders and pagancelt for the replies.
Yeah, I'm going for "semi-rustic- Hawaiian-open floor plan" for my finishing. Nice and tight for the shell and exterior. Open beams in the interior. Plenty of windows facing north. 

Fortunately, the general style of the structure is reminiscent of Polynesian architecture.

Geez, I love this forum. Plenny action.

Gene   

MushCreek

Anyone on here ever looked into Timberlinx? It looks like timber frame, but should properly be called post and beam, since its held together with metal fastening. http://www.timberlinx.com/index.html
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

They work fine, kinda pricey and require accurate placement. I'm not a TF purist by any stretch, post and beam is fine, for most things I don't mind an exposed bolted steel plate or allthread, washers and nuts in plugged holes

MushCreek

Working with metal my whole life, I actually LIKE the exposed bolts and metal plates!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

Don't look at me to argue with that sentiment, that's pretty much the construction I grew up in  :) Someone that can think out and fabricate well, and is allowed to do so, can overcome an awful lot of construction hurdles. Using materials where their particular qualities shine is just smart.

The AITC link above will be right up your alley spend some time surfing their site if you haven't. There was a free "Wood Design" magazine put out by the CWC, I think, that featured commercial wood,steel and glass buildings each month. Most of it was pretty far out there for my taste so I dropped it, it did have some neat ideas though.

On the AWC website there is a connections calculator that gives basic design strengths for wood/steel plate/bolted connections. The NDS goes into detail for how to design group bolt patterns with side plates in wood. It is also available on the AWC website, sometimes through interlibrary loan. The current version is the '05 edition. I want to retain the older version to reference changes but my '01 copy is just collecting dust if someone needs a loaner.

This is a pretty neat connector, I quickly threw this mockup together after reading a paper by a couple of professors who were working on this. Looks like alot of potential