Healthcare bill about to pass

Started by SardonicSmile, March 21, 2010, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

It's the attitude of some that kill it for all.  My wife has taught swimming lessons in our school district for 30+ years.  This week, one of the parents came to sign up their grandchild.  She mentioned that they are free/reduced lunch(they catch a break on tuition).

My wife made the comment to me that she remembered the grandma's kids were ALSO on free/reduced lunch. 

So many of these things have become generational.  The attitude of a free lunch is passed down the family lines.  I have a son in law who was the first in his family in 3 generations to complete HIGH SCHOOL, let alone COLLEGE.  I think if my daughter told him that she would marry him, but not move in with him, forced him to get a job. 

And yes, plenty of us ARE anti-government, at least the way things stand now.  There are things the government is SUPPOSED to provide, and then there are a lot of things they think they SHOULD provide.  The difference is where many of us are upset.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

NM_Shooter

Sorry BM, you're out of your area of expertise.  Facts and logic?  Produce proof. 

The logic that I supplied is pretty straightforward.  It appears to me you have no ability to understand it.  You're emotionally based, I'm logically based. 

Provide one clear example of where my logic is flawed.  I'll pay attention.  You were the one who had an issue understanding how insurance companies worked for profit.

I'm only anti-BIG-government.  I love the little, conservative ones.  Liberals also tend to react emotionally, and put words in other person's mouths when they are caught in a corner and can't answer simple questions.  Stick to what I am saying, not what you think I am saying. 

Here's a challenge for you...

Tell you what.  I'll pay you $1000 a month for healthcare.  But I'll only buy it from you right before I need that operation, and I'll cancel as soon as I am better.  I'm going to have to ask you to either accept or acknowledge that your beliefs are hypocritical.  Oh... and I am going to need you to tell your neighbors that they have to pay for 90% of my premiums. 

I'm guessing you're not going to reply to that challenge.  Right?

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

muldoon

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on March 21, 2010, 10:34:57 PM
I know it will benefit me.  I have COBRA insurance that will run out in July.  I am self employed, and have a history of cancer and bleeding ulcers.  I cannot get individual health insurance at any price because of preexisting conditions.  I don't want free health care; I just want a chance to buy it at a reasonable rate.  This bill will make that possible.

I fully understand that the current system is broken for many people.  I have no qualms with trying to fix that.  But this bill is a tax, it's is not even about healthcare, it is about health insurance.  

The provision noted above for pre-existing conditions, is slated to kick in for 2014.  Thats 4 more years pox, but thats ok as you get to start paying premiums now.  

Personally I cant wait for the 4 years to be up for different reasons.  Currently I pay about 10k a year for insurance for my family.  The penalty for not having insurance under the new plan is 2% agi or about 2,000.  Once the "no prior conditions" clause kicks in I can fully elect to just ditch health insurance al together and go on a pay as I go basis.  The only reason to carry insurance is for those massive disasters that you don't see coming.  Getting the flu or broekn arms are chump change to just pay for the visit and the meds, but its the looming threat of cancers and leukimias and heart diseaese that keeps me spending that money every month. Soon enough I will just drop the 10-12k insurance, pay the 2k fine and if I or anyone in my family does get those dibilitating diseases, we'll just get insurance then -- after all, no pre-existing conditions can bar me.  Talk about unintended consequences.  

Thank Big-O.  you the man.

eddiescabin

Someone way back said "Suicide is against the law"....well not here next to the Golden Gate!  Get with it, it's a damn sport!  Same with high school kids kissing moving trains here!  Want to see Government entitlement programs fully taken advantage of/  Come to the oakland ca. social security or county buildings...if you speak english you will be one of the few!  These govt. dependants WORK the system, rubber stamped by like minded minorities, if you are the wrong minority, your application gets "lost"  All the while these societal leeches with a palm up to the Government are chatting on their $500 iphone and wearing the latest $175 air jordans!  This is a FACT. The illegals here have more rights than citizens.  They ABUSE the system...and the slacker welfare crap people DEMAND your tax dollars that go directly to DRUGS!  KNOW IT.

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: muldoon on March 22, 2010, 05:25:50 PM

The provision noted above for pre-existing conditions, is slated to kick in for 2014.  Thats 4 more years pox, but thats ok as you get to start paying premiums now. 

I already pay premiums, so no loss there.  And if HCR was not passed, how long would I wait for relief from exclusion because of pre-existing conditions?

If not now, when?  If not us, who?

peternap

Virginia Files to keep Health Care OUT! ;D

http://news.oldva.org/?p=13591

Don't be causing a stink in Old Virginia

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on March 24, 2010, 06:13:09 AM
Quote from: muldoon on March 22, 2010, 05:25:50 PM

The provision noted above for pre-existing conditions, is slated to kick in for 2014.  Thats 4 more years pox, but thats ok as you get to start paying premiums now. 

I already pay premiums, so no loss there.  And if HCR was not passed, how long would I wait for relief from exclusion because of pre-existing conditions?

If not now, when?  If not us, who?

Yes, you are paying premiums now...but...

Do your premiums that you are paying now include all the hidden taxes that are included in the new law?  Do you think the insurance companies, drug makers, medical device makers and hospitals are just going to eat their increased taxes?  I'm sure those WILL be included in their next round of premiums. 

How about when the insurance companies start insuring those that they haven't before?  When their payouts for services skyrocket, do you think they are going to eat the increased costs?  Nope, you'll get to pay those increased costs also in your premiums.

When I first got cable, the bill was $20 /month, including all applicable taxes and fees.  My cable now includes at least $20/month in fees alone...before it even begins to provide me with a service.

If you thought your premiums were expensive now, hold onto your wallet...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Pox Eclipse

Premiums are already going up 40% per year in some places.  So how are you going to determine that reform was the cause of any new increases?

fishing_guy

d*

Keep your head in the sand...this law isn't going to make it any better for healthy Americans.

Our state (Minnesota) instituted a 2.5% tax on all things medical to pay for Minncare, their version of the Federal program.  It is picked up by all those who use healthcare, and by default the insurance companies.  You don't think that was passed on as increased premiums by all?

BTW, the state is salivating over the new federal program.  It will take over those on Minncare and the state gets to keep the 2.5% tax for the general fund...It isn't going away just because the program will be.

fishing_guy

In a strange quirk of fate, the health care bill actually cost (or has the potential to cost) me insurance coverage.

I worked at a job for 18 years.  Just long enough to be vested in their pension plan.  One part of it was money...Not a lot, but enough to pay some bills when I get of age.  The second...company sponsored medical insurance. The second part was the part I will need most in old age.

I was informed, that because of the new healthcare laws, the company I used to work for is dropping retirement medical all together.

Awesome!

I'm always happy to donate to the cause of the slackers less fortunate.

NM_Shooter

This is the part that sucks.  You've worked steady at a job for a long period of time.  Due to the needs of those who for whatever reason (bad luck, laziness, stupidity, whatever) you are now not only going to have to pay to fund some/all of their healthcare, but you are losing benefits as well.  Unfortunately, there are more have-nots than haves, and the have nots have figured out that they can vote their way into your pocket. 

It's a lot easier for them to do that than to actually be productive and earn their own keep. 

We can start to repeal this once the liberals are removed from office, but unfortunately there will be a significant amount of irreversible damage before we can do so. 

I will be celebrating hard the day pelosi is removed.  Will probably throw a party. 

I'm sorry you got caught in the crap. 

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"