Homesteading New Mexico - Rancho Perdido

Started by GunPilot, July 06, 2007, 12:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunPilot

Ah - I gotcha now.  Well, that is one detail that I didn't know about.  I will say that I think 4' is okay due to the fact the well site is actually on high ground, and it is unlikely that any runoff could reach it.  Not sure what NM says about it.  Need to find out...

glenn kangiser

The reason I bring it up is that when we bought this property, the seal had fallen and it was open around the casing as far as I could see.  I already knew the drillers were lax on this point.  I always sealed to 20 feet but many others didn't bother.

Care to join me in a nice glass of dog doo-doo water, anyone? :P
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

GunPilot

Care to join me in a nice glass of dog doo-doo water, anyone? :P

Yer killin' my new well buzz... :-[ :-/

glenn kangiser

I don't really think you have a problem as long as they put the seal in there.  Just watch for holes around the casing with disappearing drainage water.  Likely it will seal with the mud that was in the hole too.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Note that it's a relatively easy fix if you ever do have a problem.  Just get someone to bring a backhoe in and dig down about 10 or 12 feet.  Plug the annulus around the casing and pour in a few bags of bentonite pellets.  When they get wet they will swell up around the casing and seal it up tight -- then cover it back in.

GunPilot

I'm in nee-go-shee-ayshuns for a backhoe of my own... I got the bill for about 6 feet of 3' ditch yesterday...  Yikes.  I'm a pride of ownership guy anyway.

glenn kangiser

That's great.  I think we should have all the toys we want anyway.

6 feet of 3' trench -- let me guess -- something like move in and out fee -   $300  Dig trench $50

GunPilot

Well he already had it there due to the well, but he charged $195 for the ditch.  Took him about a minute and a half.

There's a guy on Craigslist that wants to trade his Case 580 for a boat.  I have a boat.  I sent him an email.

firefox

GunPilot, if there was a phone number on that Craig's list notice, use it. A lot of times
people get something posted on Craigs list by a friend, but don't use email themselves.

Good Luck, I wish I had a back hoe. Maybe someday.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

GunPilot

Well (that's a deep subject) Dan installed a 3/4 hp 5 gph pump, and it pumped 8 GPH for an hour and a half before he finally shut it off.  Whoo hoo!  I think we have water now.  On to building!

glenn kangiser

GunPilot

A teaser... we're back.

After a 5-year hiatus... back to the ranch.

MountainDon

Quote from: GunPilot on July 17, 2012, 11:32:25 PM

After a 5-year hiatus... back to the ranch.

I knew it had been a while, but didn't realize it was that long.   I've seen you online once or twice in the interim.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rdpecken

Welcome back, George... We're still here cheering you on!

db4570

I'm looking forward to seeing more about your project. I like the area you're in, and have been poking around a bit on line, looking for a nice little chunk of land.

Keep your updates coming!

David

GunPilot

Our new secret weapon in the top picture above is Uncle Barney. Uncle Barn is a real professional and knows what he is doing.  Our project here is a 12x16 barn shed mainly to house our 8N tractor and tools until we get the larger pole barn up.  Barney designed the structure with a little input from me and we pre-built the rafters before we brought them to the site.  Our round-trip distance at the time this was built (March 2012) was 2000 miles.  We have since moved back to AZ and things are back to normal. (?)  The barn was erected in 10 days of building snow or shine,  with Barney and my wife doing most of the work as I was at work 350 miles away.

Some building sequence pics:

GunPilot

(Phone camera pics, sorry)

The shed is mostly complete now, still needing roofing and siding.  We're going to get up there before the snow flies to at least wrap it.  It does have windows and entry door installed since the last pics were taken. It's really too nice to be just a shed.  I'm so proud of Uncle and my little wife for the work they did on this.

GunPilot

We spent about $2000 on materials for this barn/shed.  Uncle sketched this out on a piece of engineer paper, costed out the materials, and he and my Sweet Pea bought and loaded the lumber.  Sweet Pea drove the truck/trailer the 2000 miles round trip to the ranch.  When they were done building, there was almost no waste, no leftover materials, and there were no trips to Socorro to get anything additional.

MountainDon

Curious about the floor construction and support system if you are driving a tractor in and out, starting and stopping inertia....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

GunPilot

Reference my deck framing pic above, in the July post.  The two center PT skids line up with the tractor wheel track. The floor is 3/4 T&G over that.  So the tractor weight is transferred directly down through the floor joists to the skids.  The 8N is a pretty light tractor too, barely 2000 lbs. In practice there is no deflection of the floor at all. I was going to lay some 1x lumber longwise on top of the floor sheeting for additional reinforcement, but it has not proved necessary.  I do not carry any heavy implements in with the tractor.

dablack

Beautiful place and I hate you for having an original Funk 8N. 

You are correct about the load being carried to the skids when the tractor is just sitting there but I think Don is more asking about moving the shed when you drive into it and hit the brakes.  Basically, if I was running and suddenly stopped on top of a 4x8 sheet of ply that was sitting in my yard, I might stop or the ply and I might keep moving a little.  HA! 

I think Don and I got into this conversation years ago when I was thinking of a pier and beam foundation garage.  The static load of the tractor sitting there is EASY to calculate.  The dynamic forces of a moving tractor stoping on top of wooden foundation is a little more difficult to figure.  Years ago, I did about 10 minutes of math and actually cracked my old physics book but I got distracted and gave up.  NOTE:  I refuse to open my old dynamics book!  That class was hard then and I haven't done any of that stuff in 15 years!  There is no way I could get up to speed again quickly........that might have been a little dynamics joke.....

Austin

GunPilot

Negligible. The tractor is moving .1 MPH entering the shed, and in fact I pushed it in last time.  No way possible the tractor could move the shed.  I think he may have been referring to buckling of the floor sheeting or rolling the floor joists over.  Not going to happen with that little tractor.

I won't be using it for the tractor for very long; just until the pole barn is up.  I couldn't leave the 8N sitting outside in the weather. 

The Funk got traded for a nice Ford 860 (1955) that was a really good and practical tractor with live power and PTO.  Unfortunately it died when my shop burned down in Nebraska.  Insurance bought me a new one though.  That's another story...

dablack

I'm sorry.  I didn't explain that well at all.  I was just using the example of it moving the shed as how the dynamic loading is so different than the static loading.  Yes, you are correct.  The slower it enters the structure, the more like the static loading it becomes.  My point was that the dynamic loading is hard to calculate.   

I think the 1953 jubilee tractors had better features as well, but I'm not sure.  Sorry about your shop.  NO GOOD! 

Austin