Water Tank

Started by new land owner, April 04, 2012, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

I was wondering if anyone is using one of these water tanks?

They are sold around here and are called "food Grade"  This one had vegtable oil in it.

It seems like a good solution as the price of a water tank, Including shipping is up there?

Redoverfarm

I have two of them.  Mostly used to transfer water when needed.  The ones I got were food grade as well.  I am not real sure if they are UV protected.   Mine has been outside for the last couple of years and they are still holding together.   ;D.  They are not really that heavy and I am sure they are not made for below grade use.

MountainDon

I'm pretty sure the plastic would have UV inhibitors to prevent breakdown of the material. Otherwise would there not be a danger posed to shipments?   ???

On the other hand because they are white algae could grow freely inside.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don I think they classify them as disposable or one use containers. That's why I wasn't sure of the UV on such short term. Mine actually came from Sweden and had soy lectin in them.

DirtyLittleSecret

I've been thinking about getting two of these to bury (after reinforcing with plywood walls) as emergency cisterns.  Wouldnt be too difficult.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Don_P

At the furniture plant we got glue in them, they certainly looked the same, not sure if the plastic is the same or not. I got several for construction site water. Mine were not UV stabilized, they got brittle and shattered after awhile.

alex trent

I have two sitting outside...never got to put water in them. But they are cheapies (nothing to indicate UV sabilized or not) and been outside for almost two years and no damage.

If they are really a good buy, you can coat with anti UV stuff on the cheap and use for a long time. 

Biggest thing is to be sure about what they were used for on the last use and ALSO before that. Some of these can be used for bad stuff a few times and then for "food grade" stuff...but small residues persist. So you small soybean oil but the plastic has other molecules in it.  Yes, folks that happens all the time. They tale the "disposable use one and use them again and again...save a few bucks.  Good market in that.

NM_Shooter

Looks like maybe you could pull the top straps and remove the tank from the frame.  Maybe spray paint it with a light coat of RhinoLiner or something similar. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

new land owner

Quote from: alextrent on April 05, 2012, 08:41:45 AM
I have two sitting outside...never got to put water in them. But they are cheapies (nothing to indicate UV sabilized or not) and been outside for almost two years and no damage.

If they are really a good buy, you can coat with anti UV stuff on the cheap and use for a long time. 

Biggest thing is to be sure about what they were used for on the last use and ALSO before that. Some of these can be used for bad stuff a few times and then for "food grade" stuff...but small residues persist. So you small soybean oil but the plastic has other molecules in it.  Yes, folks that happens all the time. They tale the "disposable use one and use them again and again...save a few bucks.  Good market in that.

That is my concern.  How do you really know what they are used for prior?  I don't think UV is and issue as I intend to use these in the crawl space and will not see any sunlight.

alex trent

To find out possibly contaminants...

You'd have to fill with water wait some time, sample the water and have tested.  There likely is a general test for organic materials that would cover most of the possibilities.  Not sure of the cost, but likely not too much as lots of the same tests done on wells, etc.

They look like nice tanks, so might be worth it.  I may just be paranoid.  If it had vegetable oil in last use and you see that by residue, likelyhood is that it is OK..other party (foodie) likely had some procedures in place to ensure that.

UK4X4

In the middle east they are the staple desert water transport - 1000ltr in the back of an LC

regardless of where the tank came from or what was in it I would use a filtration system on the water if i was to drink it- black ,pink, food grade plastic -whatever for a $100 you can get safe water

Usually they are not single use, mostley the frames I've seen are stainless steel

Just shipping back is about the same as selling on locally

buried i think they would be fine

Redoverfarm

Quote from: UK4X4 on April 05, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
In the middle east they are the staple desert water transport - 1000ltr in the back of an LC

regardless of where the tank came from or what was in it I would use a filtration system on the water if i was to drink it- black ,pink, food grade plastic -whatever for a $100 you can get safe water

Usually they are not single use, mostley the frames I've seen are stainless steel

Just shipping back is about the same as selling on locally

buried i think they would be fine

I have noticed that they are not as heavy as other tanks sold.  You could maybe beef up the stucture for below grade but I wouldn't bury "as is".  I have used the other tanks sold and you can barely push the sidewall or top in like you can with these. 

UK4X4

sorry in my head I was thinking of one of the previous posters who said side with plywood
which should work fine

considerations

I have an off grid "neighbor" who has been using 2 of those tanks for over 5 years to store their rain water, which is their sole water source.  They are on the shady side of the house and still functioning.  I see them stacked out behind one of our local wineries...don't know what is shipped in them.  Sometimes one of the local feed stores offers them for sale as well.

alex trent

Out of direct sunlight UV is not an issue...UV does not bend around corners. 

What is in the tank is unknown and may be being over cautioned about here....just that drinking water is so critical  Ask he winery what came in them and if they have a label on them, which will certify previous contents are not toxic. Feed store would be a choice farther down my list as the record keeping and restrictions on that use are not as strict.

My guess is you are OK...just do a bit of checking.

I would not rely on the typical consumer water filter to remove organic contaminants which are harmful. They may or may not.

KLF

Quote from: new land owner on April 04, 2012, 06:25:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone is using one of these water tanks?

My classmate used to work in local food factory, logistics. They brought in chemicals in IBC totes like in the picture. My parents have a farm and my friend called asking if they would need some for free. Just take away and never bring back :D No-one knows what has been inside, but they weren't supposed to be for drinking anyways.

My father took three and my brother two. Father put them on tractor trailer to transport water to the field (not to water plants, but for crop dusting, to avoid driving around filling the tank).  My brother keeps them filled in the barn attached to some hoses. He doesn't have running water there but does welding and stuff like that what could start a fire. So, some water with little pressure is better than no water at all...

Usually when someone is selling those, he has gotten them free from somewhere and washed them. With a little luck you could find the source yourself, ask around. Friends of friends in food business? :)

Yankeesouth

They make good poop tanks!