Deck Stain

Started by beckhamk, April 04, 2012, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

I am looking to stail our new deck in a cedar color.  Any recommendations on a good lasting stain.

Alan Gage

Oh, I just realized you might not actually be using cedar. Should be some good information anyway, especially the second link which isn't focused on just Cedar.

Danfish

I have had some good results with Sherman-Williams Woodscapes Semi-transparent Stains.  Their Cedar Bark color looks good on a variety of woods, especially cedar.  I was turned on to this product by a large firm that prestains shingles and siding materials.  It is water based and a pleasure to work with when compared to oil.  They indicated they had tried a lot of products and this produced the best overall result.  I used Chabot products (oil based) on another project and it looked terrible after one winter.  For actual application see New House, Truckee CA Historic District in sticky posts.  The entire exterior and all decking is this product.

Alan Gage

Just to stick up for Cabot a little. That's what I used on my house last summer and it still looks great. Granted, a year isn't much of a test, but apparently it's better than it worked out for Danfish.

I used semi-transparent

20111011_001 copy_web by Alan  Gage, on Flickr

Alan

alex trent

looks great..

On my house in NICA.....see NICA mtn Cabin on the builder portion of this site for a look.

I had not planned on staining or oiling the outside...which is semi rough wood. Color is great and do not really want to change it.

I oiled a few of the beams exposed below the siding and they look great, but darkened them a bit. Did good for them as they were not great color ,but cautious about siding.

What happens with now oil/stain?  I do not mind natural weathering look.

Alan Gage

You can apply a water repellant preservative, which is clear (though will darken them a bit). This will keep water from absorbing too much and keeps the nasties that really rot wood (mold) away. Sounds like it doesn't last long without some protection over the top of it so you'd probably be re-applying every couple years. Application is easy though since you don't really have to worry about runs, just slop it on.

Alan

MountainDon

I have used a variety of cabot products and have thought enough of them to repeat their use.   ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

beckhamk

How many of you have actually sanded your deck before applying the deck stain?

Dave Sparks

I sand it when I reapply. Just the area that looks damaged. I also use a solid color ceder stain. It is not as pretty but lasts longer. It also does not show the rodent parts my cats bring me as gifts. ::)
"we go where the power lines don't"