Don't skimp on windows they say...Well which ones are GOOD ones??

Started by Erin, November 13, 2012, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

OK, so I had been laboring under the notion that expensive windows are good windows...or at least Pella/Anderson/Marvin, etc. 
But the more research I do, the more I learn that that isn't the case.  Aargh! 

Which windows did you go with, and why?  I'm not sold on all vinyl, vinyl clad or fiberglass clad yet, so I'm still open so far as that goes. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

MountainDon

My 2 cents...  Pella/Anderson/Marvin do make very good windows. I have a soft spot for Pella windows, especially their casement windows. When you buy those brands you also pay for all the ads, etc.

The best pricing and quality combination may come from a local builder of windows, if you are close enough to a large enough population center.

As for vinyl, vinyl clad, metal clad, all wood..... a lot of that comes down to a personal like or dislike of the finish. Pella has a vinyl window that is probably better than many other similar products. They inject foam into the hollow cores for better thermal efficiency. But if one does not like the appearance of vinyl they would be a lousy choice. IMO.

Our cabin has BetterBilt from Lowe's. Vinyl framed and available in the tan/sand color we like, good low-e performance and not a bad price. They beat the local builder of windows in cost and the performance specs were very similar.

Windows are made with different u-factors and SGHC values to suit the average need in particular climate zones; just to confuse the issue even more.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

We spent a lot of time looking at windows. Here in SC, window salesmen seem to be a slighter lower life form than used car salesmen, if you get my drift. From what I could find, it seems like the low-end Pellas and Andersons are no bargain. Almost all windows will perform about the same when new, but there are a lot of complaints about windows not holding up over the years. The higher end name-brand windows are well-made, but you pay a premium. We wound up going with Marvin Integrity, which is a fiberglass clad window. They seem to hit a good balance between quality and cost. Also, I liked the dealer, and he has a solid reputation in the area. This could be important if there is a warrantee issue.

We wanted a paintable window, for one thing, and vinyl windows don't have a good reputation in hot climates. They tend to warp and sag over time. We went all casements except 3 windows across the front where we wanted the traditional appearance of a double hung. Time alone will tell if we bought the right windows. I'm going to do the installation, so I know it will be done right. Poor installation probably causes the majority of problems with windows, even when they are installed by so-called professionals.

It amazes me that windows in old houses are still functioning, even after 100 years in many cases, and yet I always hear about people replacing their 'old' ten-year-old windows. I always thought windows were a life-time investment. They certainly seem to cost enough to be a life time investment.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Erin

Canvasman

I have marvin ultimate casement windows aluminum clad,, in the home I'm building. I'm not impressed with the plastic pivot hinge, they have since (installed 2 years ago) switched to a metal pivot hinge. They seem alright, but for the price, I would have expected better quality. I installed norco windows in the house I currently live in, since they have become jeldwen. Not inpressed with them at all. All norcos replaced with jeldwens. I will say, jeldwen came out and took care of problems I had with seal leaking argon gas out, on the old norcos. How you install is important.

MountainDon

A note on PVC frames. They are never factory made in any dark colors as they heat up more in the sun and can warp. Hence I doubt you'll find any vinyl window maker stating it's okay to paint their vinyl frames.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

The big box Pella (Thermastar white vinyl) are not worthy of the Pella name in my opinion.   I had bad luck with them on a retrofit build.  On the plus-side, they are cheap and if you have a problem they will take them right back.  Other than that, they are a marginal choice.  If you are building a weekend cabin they might serve a purpose.  Or maybe not if they leak.

I have Pella low-E casement on my home and love them.  Wood interior and clad exterior.  The hardware is smooth and they require no maintenance.

The Thermastar windows we installed would stick and jam. They are barely square.  You get what you pay for with windows. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Ndrmyr

A thought-provoking thread.  Being up north, I think Vinyl is a more viable option.  I can see how heat build-up in the south could really shorten the life of vinyl.  Just like cars, up north the salt on the roads destroys the metal, the searing southern sun eats up the dashboards and interiors.
Sadly, a lot of windows are now made in China, and quality has suffered for it.  A local installer who advertises $188 installed, had a bunch of failures due to china quality, but, they seem to have survived.  Perhaps a bankruptcy or two to erase liability and any past obligations, but they are still advertising.
Personally, I purposefully chose vinyl for the ease of cleaning.  Powerwash the outside and wipe down bug spots on the inside in a struture that is somewhat seasonal and unheated in the winter when un-used.  And,  heat isn't a problem.  I did buy mine at auction, 1200 windows for sale that year, and I averaged $22/window.  Low-E, double-glazed, internal lights.  I've been happy, but would have kicked anyone of them to the curb and put in another at that price.  But these were expensive windows, I suspect the 44 windows I bought would have ruined $20,000 retail.  Would I have the quality and number of windows I have at retail?  Nope, not close.
Would I have looked for creative options?  Yes.  Patio door take-outs for scenic fixed panels.  Take-out windows with storms, what-ever it took to control costs.  When building, you can make the hole the size you need to fit the window as opposed to replacement.  Would I spend the money today on a home to buy the big names? Ouch, I just don't know. Probably not.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Danfish

I woud recommend staying away from Pella and JeldWen sold at the box stores.  These are the bottom of the line models.  While they seem to be pretty good on their service policy (warrantly expires in one year), I had two JeldWen units fail within the first year after install.

Installed Milgard windows last year and real happy with quality and appearance.  The casement units are some of the smoothing operating windows I have seen.  Did have one unit that glass cracked due to shipment from low to high altitude (probably failure in equalizer tube), Milgard jumped right on repair (lifetime warranty).

All multi-pane windows eventually fail, usually within 10 - 15 years.  The manuafactures have yet to come up with a good seal between the panes.  Some say the Canadians have the best design...the Chinese, well that's another story!  Be prepared to pay as much as the cost of a whole new window unit just to replace the failed glass assembly.

Metal clad Vs vinyl becomes a matter of aesthetics and budget.  Many more color choices with metal clad, very limited with vinyl (did I say white). Some feel vinyl looks too plastic with age, but to me they both look about the same over time.

davidj

We went Marvin Integrity too (fiberglass outside, unpainted wood inside).  No problems so far (2 years).  The casements seem really nice, a solid mechanism, although we ended up with a bunch of double hung as most of the main windows are sitting over decks.  It was a huge investment, though - arguably the biggest extravagance on the whole project.  Close to $12K in windows for a 20x30 (albeit with lots of windows and tempered glass everywhere).

Windpower

We went with Pella from a distributor on the recomendation of the carpenter--- he says that there is very rarely a problem but they avery good at fixing them promptly

Anderson -- not so much (have a 20 year old Anderson that is rotting on the exterior brick molding)
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

waggin

There was a good article sometime in the last year or two in Fine Homebuilding.  Here's a similar online one from them, but it doesn't list manufacturers like the print version.  Might require their subscription to the website to get the full articles.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021166052.pdf

I seem to remember hearing about Thermotech fiberglass windows, which are intriguing, but then there are forum posts like in the following:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-products-and-materials/22968/complaints-about-fiberglass-windows-plus-what-nex

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/energy-heating-insulation/do-thermotech-windows-perform

While I'm not currently in the market for windows, it is a subject I'm quite curious about, so would love to learn more.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Alan Gage

I certainly did some hand wringing over window choice. Talked to our local building supplier about their recommendations. Their favorite was the good clad Andersen windows. The step down from that was Gerkin (midwest company) vinyl windows. They recommended the Gerkin vinyl windows over Andersen vinyl.

I was soon frustrated though in the lack of choice in window coatings (Cardinal makes coatings for pretty much every window manufacturer) with the vinyl windows. The only way I could get the coatings I really wanted was to step up to high end clad or fiberglass windows. The cost was about 3x that of the Gerkin vinyl. I finally had to call Gerkin personally. Finally, on the second call, I got someone who knew what they were talking about and they said I could have any coating I wanted if Cardinal currently offered it. There was no extra delay or cost.

I'm very happy with my Gerkins. They're more expensive than most vinyl windows but considerably cheaper than the move up to wood or fiberglass. They feel more solid than most of the cheap vinyl windows I've dealt with. They're also the only vinyl windows I've seen where the manufacturer actually puts their name on them.

Alan

Erin

Midwest, phooey.  They're made in South Sioux!  (I'm from Wayne, originally)
This bears investigation.  :)

ETA:  I just talked to my dad, a DIYer and he agreed that Gerkins are good windows.  He said Heritage Homes used to use them (not sure if they still do) and that's what he used for the windows in the sunroom he added on, 20 years ago