Claw foot bath tubs -Pros/Cons/How

Started by Chuckca, March 09, 2005, 01:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

???What are the difficulties with installing a claw foot bath tub in the 20x30 1 1/2 model (not yet built)...I don't have this info and I can't remember a discussion...

Would appreciate a geneeral discussion if possible...Has anyone used a CFB in their design.... :)

glenn kangiser

My son restored one and used it in his house several years ago.  Since the claw foot tubs are self contained there is not too much of a problem that I can see other than providing for the concentrated weight in the foot locations with proper support and providing for the plumbing.  The kits I have seen go through the floor similar to a normal tub, but exposed -not hidden. Looks like other options are available from the picture below.  Shower hardware is also available and is real nice looking and fairly expensive.

There is a major supplier of parts and used bathroom fixtures in Murphys, Ca. with a good online catalogue.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.deabath.com/Spec_Tubs/spec_tubs.htm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dan

Our 1906 house we live in has one that was in the second floor bathroom, only bath when built.  When I remodeled that bathroom, I stored it in a closet until we remodeled the main floor bath (was originally built as a dentists office, long converted when we bought the house) then we refinished and put it down there in the "fancy" bath.  The only real issue as Glenn pointed out is the weight.  Getting the monster down the stairs from our second to first floor was accomplished when four teenage boys were over visiting my then teenage daughter.  About the only time I appreciated having them around.   ;)

oh, my wife loves taking baths in it, once it is warmed up it stays that way for quite a long time.

Amanda_931

Acrylic clawfoot tubs are available at the big box stores and at some of the on-line places.  Don't know if they give anyone out-gassing problems.

And there seems to be a fair market in USED clawfoot tubs--there's a store up in the next county.

But they tend to be pricey, and heavy, and may take not-quite-standard faucets (and the lines going either to the tub (top or inside) or a freestanding unit all SHOW.  No PVC plumbing for these jobs.  Not sure whether you are better off with a tub that needs to be swept under or one where the mold can grow undisturbed in the dark.

See this link (first one up on a search, no idea what they're like, but the pictures show what I want them to) for the idea:

http://clawfootsupply.com/style97

I really like the combination of a soaking tub and a hand-held shower head.  I replaced the tub faucets in Nashville and that's what I ended up using, but it was a built-in tub.

Amanda_931

Oh, yes, and when I lived in Indiana in a nicely designed but poorly built duplex, the tub (drop in style) were set lengthwise on the joists, (probably undersized), and in all of the units eventually fell down the (undersized) floor/subfloor and IIRC broke the joist.  You might want to consider this as well.

True of all kinds of tubs.  But spread that weight out.