Piece Building

Started by StinkerBell, August 24, 2007, 08:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Hi gang!

I have a question. Piece building a home. My hubby and I are in a fun debate, but for us it is still a debate only one person can win. ;)

Here is my question. I know that overall it is better to build your entire home at once, but what if you do not have that large budget and that time? I have suggested to my hubby that we should do something right now and add additional bedrooms and stuff later. He feels that it would double the over all price. I disagree, A slight increase and having something up sooner would be better. It would be easier to take time off from work to work on a smaller project. I guess one of my arguments would be that who knows what the price of wood will be in 3 years, if its much higher and we need less to do an add on, wouldn't that balance out?

glenn kangiser

If properly planned it wouldn't double.  It would only be slightly higher.  

You could frame an opening then put a wide window or sliding door where the rooms would join. Put a header over the door or window so there would be no problem or major extra work.  You could even put a gable over the door or window to match the future expansion roofline later eliminating the need to cut into the shingles and add a big cricket --(remember those) --  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

I would feel brave enough to eat a chocolate covered one.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

QuoteI would feel brave enough to eat a chocolate covered one.

Would you take pictures to post :-?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Mark_Chenail

I built my house in pieces.  Started with a 8x14 shed and added on pole buildings as I went along each year.  I now have a 5 bedroom, two story house with  4 fireplaces and Im planning to add on a big studion and a new bath next year.  Added cost would
depend on your building method, particularly a need for foundations.  My pole buildings dont need them.  It is certainly doable.
mark chenail

tanya

When I was a kid some neighbors built their split level in stages.  Lived in the lower level while the upper level was being built.  They had a bunch of kids too.  The price of lumber probably did go up over time but the amount used probably stayed the same they just layed roofing paper over what would eventually be the floor during the time they lived in the lower level.  The lower level plans called for a guest suite with mini kitchen and there was a bathroom already planned as well so the costs didn't increase on those items.  It will depend a lot on your plans.  
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.