Best screw gun?

Started by firefox, July 22, 2012, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

I had been using a sears screw gun for years, but the depth control never worked that well. I am looking to buy a new one that can handle dry wall as well as decks, etc.
I'd like to get one that had really good depth control/shut off. Not sure what is really available. I've always used corded tools, but if the battery ones are better for this then
I'll switch.

Can anyone make some suggestions as to what they think are the best, and why.

Thanks a bunch,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Ndrmyr

If you are replacing the sears, and aren't an every day builder, my vote has to go to Ryobi.  Perhaps not the quality of Dewalt or Makita, it has a great virtue.  Home Depot supports it, and replacement batteries are readily available.  If a Dewalt battery goes bad, don't be surprised when the battery costs as much a new drill/driver.  And all of the Ryobi 18 volt equipment uses the same battery, whether Ni-Cad or Lithium-Ion.  I am on my 3rd generation of batteries, and my Ryobi's are still running fine.  Look for special sale during holidays.  I am currently running both Ni-Cad and Li-Ion. Beware that Ni-Cads work much better in the cold.  Li-Ions don't work well cold and must be kep warm.
That being said, I had a set of the sub-compact Makitas in 10.0V Li-Ion, and I won't be without them. I'm on my 2nd set, since the first was stolen when my teenage daughter didn't lock the truck.  The lights are great for my middle-aged eyes, and the ability to drill and screw without changing bits by having both a drill and a driver makes any quick-change chuck obsolete.  It is my driver of choice up to 2" screws.  For bigger, I want more power, but it is simply the best must-have tool I own.  I keep the factory case stuffed with an assortment of drills, bits and nut-drivers and is a sweet set-up.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Ndrmyr

An addition....just got an email from Home Depot aka "The Borg" and they have the Ryobi 18V Li-Ion on sale for $79, drill/driver, (2) Lithium-Ion batteries and charger for...$79.  That is the price of just the batteries, so the drill and charger is FREE.  I'm thinking of getting it just to get 2 more batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100596701&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_mmc=hd_email-_-L03_CLR-_-20120823_08232492596-_-laminate_2&et_rid=19378004#.UDVRds0ifr8
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

firefox

Thanks , but that kit uses the 12 volt batteries, and there doesn't seem to be any info
about controls for screw depth control.
I appreciate your help,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Ndrmyr

And I must recant.  I've never seen these in the 12 volt before, and my brain assumed it was 18.  As far as controlling depth, I can only assume that you are referring to a clutch, which this drill/driver does have, as does the 18volts I was talking about.  I am very pleased with my 18 volt Ryboi, but, in a smaller drill, I have to stand by my Makita's in the sub-compact category.  To be precise, no drill controls depth, with the exception of a drill press which has a stop that limits travel.  In a hand held drill, YOU are the cradle, the press, and YOU control the depth.  The depth in a drill with a clutch is a factor of power and resisitance.  The larger screw or drill bit, the harder the material, the greater the resistance.  With a clutch set at 10, a 1/8" drill bit and a marshmallow, the clutch does not control depth.  With a 3/8" Lag screw, 6 inches of white oak, it might.
As a comment, generally speaking, only drills have clutches.  Impact drivers do not.  Drills are for drilling, and drivers drive.  Resistance is less of a factor in drilling than driving, so once again, a clutch is not equiviant to a depth stop. IMHO.

josiahmac

I would go Makita. Ive used a lot of different drills and I think they last the longest. Ryobi is cheap and ok for occasional use but do not hold up. Dewalt is over priced when it comes to cordless tools. Porta Cable does not have good power nor does Hitachi. And I would suggest going online to either Amazon or Toolking.com. I always stay away from big box stores for tool. JMO

firefox

Someone out there must have a screw gun with a depth stop system. The old sears on I have which finally broke had a depth stop gizmo.

Als, It doesn't have to be cordless. Dragging a cord around can be a pain, but the actual drill driver ends up lighter.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Rob_O

"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

rick91351

Bruce I will vouch for the DeWalt Drywall Gun.  Mine is not cordless but WOW all the stuff from cedar fences to in the wood shop to actually hanging dry wall with it believe it or not.    ;D    Easy to set the depth.  I use mine all the time for stuff.... :D 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

firefox

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the Dewalt Rick based on your recomendation.
I have a dewalt drill and it has been very reliable. I also prefer corded stuff.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Hi Rick,
  Which model did you get?
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rick91351

I will have to check.  We have sold our place here in the valley  [cool]  a lot of stuff is packed in the shop will have to look for it. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

It was still on the shelf.  DW257 That said I shall post the disclaimer "Hey it works for me."     ;)

Rick

firefox

Thank you very much Rick! I really appreciate the help.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824