Roof weather proofing concerns

Started by jan nikolajsen, September 22, 2010, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan nikolajsen

Okay, I'm the type who needs to do everything myself.

But, because of a broken heel, I had a licensed contractor 'paper' the roof until I can get the the metal up there. He used a Tyvek like product called Tri-Flex Extreme, with a 120 day exposure rating, to buy me some time. It needs to be nailed on with plastic washers, at clearly marked locations. This was done pretty good. Also the spec'ed overlaps are fine. It has been up there for 60 days. The roof is 3/12 slope.

And every time it rains the whole thing leaks like a sieve. Now what's the purpose of this barrier under the metal if it can't temporarily keep the moisture out? Should I throw down a layer of tar paper right before the metal or just chill and not worry?

Thanks!!

diyfrank

According to the web page it shouldn't leak at all. :-\
Home is where you make it

dug

I would not be comfortable with it leaking like that. I had plain old tar paper on for several months and it endured some torrential rainstorms without leaking a drop as far as I could see.

astidham

i used palisade synthetic and it hasn't leaked yet
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

It seems to me that there's a problem. Does it leak all over or in one area in particular? Not rain being driven by high winds up under the overlaps is it?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jan nikolajsen

Water drips from 80% of the plywood seems, and yes it is typically windy but all orientations leak evenly.

I've settled to the fact that I have to redo it before roofing next week. No biggie, the materials are cheap and so is my labor. The one thing that was costly was having the pros do it in the first place..

MountainDon

Something odd there. Our cabin sat for a couple months with roofing felt (#30) and our house sat through an 8" snow with the accumulation sitting on the synthetic barrier (Titanium UDL) and neither leaked.  Bad enough having issues but more annoying when you have paid someone to cause the issue.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

That does sound odd. I know there is no way but it almost sounds like they lapped it the wrong way! Or maybe just barely lapped the joints.   ???

MountainDon

or somebody walked on it with golf shoes so they wouldn't slide off.   ;D

rocking23nf

I covered my whole roof with weatherguard for eaves.  Boy that stuff is great. I had tarpaper up, came home one day and it was all blown off and torn.