Barndominium contruction problem

Started by Windpower, May 15, 2009, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

The edge view of the barndominium 'tin' looks like this -- the flat part is about 1.5 "

__       __       __
    _/    \__/     \__/    \

I am trying to figure out how to seal the inside sidewalls to the tin profile

how about foaming the gaps with great stuff or the like -- not sure if that would be rodent proof though

it would be very difficult to fit wood in the gaps ( I think -- unless someone knows of a 'trick' to cutting the wood fit the profile)

Ideas ?
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Redoverfarm

A lot of work involved but you would only have to make the plug so to speak.  Then duplicate several times. insert them into the bottom and secure each one with a galvanized roof screw. The spray foam might work if you hade a way to incorporate rabbit wire at the bottom. Anything that you do if it's exterior will not be able to create a shelf at the bottom that water running down would enter into the cavity.  Recessed 1/4-3/8" would be better.  They make a seal for roofing and I am sure they make it for that style steps.   Only down side is that it is foam.  Not much for intrusion by critters. 

They used to make a product I think it was "Cobra" vent which was flexible inter twined strands that you might be able to cut and force up into the cavity.

You may be able to cut rabbit wire just narrower than the demensions of the steps, Spray foam and while it is still stack place one up into the foam.  Just use needle nose plyers as the only thing that will clean it off your hands is Acetone.

A lot of ideas come to mind but these are just a few. Maybe sleep on it and something else would work.

lockman

They make foam inserts that fit the various metal roofing profiles. One for going under the panel, one for over the panels. They even have ones with screened ventilation holes for use with a ridge vent. I got mine from the same place that I bought the metal roofing from. The regular ones were about .20 each, but the vented ones were close to 5.00 ea. The home depots around here sell the ones to match the roofing they sell in foam and wood.

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

mikkelibob

Flashing:
http://microship.com/resources/pole-building-rodents.html

Also you might as well by a 5 lb roll of steel wool and put it in every gap from the inside. Its cheap.

firefox

How about filling the last foot or so with light weight concrete or something like that.
Just put a sequence of nails in with their heads sticking up half way in the cavity for the
concrete to grab on to. You can probably make some cardboard inserts at the ends as
a form until the concrete cures.
Anyway, just an idea.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824