Design Software

Started by BenB, October 05, 2012, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenB

3D Home Architect is not to be found but the rec was to use that to modify plans.....
???so what have you used that may be compatible with the templates?

If nothing - any recs????
Thanks

BenB

Thanks for the link ..... I've read it 4x now and not sure if I am deciphering this all.
Will the HD Suite 2012 allow use of the templates from here with the mods? And if I am reading this correctly (?) it will do the material lists but not plans suitable for the permit, right?

What I want to do is take the 30x20, stretch it out to maybe 34'-40' depending on how things layout inside, and then have something suitable to submit to the township for a building permit. Somewhere here I am getting lost in the way to do the mods if I deviate from the Plan set.

Am I making sense in what I am hoping to accomplish w/o resorting to retaining a firm to do so.
This is sad...... maybe I am losing it and it is right there before my eyes?  d* d* d*

hpinson

Hi Ben. I can't really speak for Homedesigner 2012. The tests I did last year were with the prior version-- Homedesiger 2010.  That said, it did import the files with two problems:

1. Libraries were missing-- i.e. a particular library object, like a toilet, was associated with the original file, and since I did not have the library object, it did not report, and errors were generated. There were a lot of these, because a lot of the original files relied on objects associated with  3D Home Architect, of a certain version.

2. Other errors. THere were a very few import errors which probably have to do with differing formats.

Overall, based on the tests I did, I would say import worked to some degree, but the resulting files had only the structural elements, floors, walls, and were missing things like doors and fixtures.  Depending what you are looking for that was in the original, that may or may not be good enough.

I would not trust the imported materials list, if you can get it to import at all. I can't remember if we tested that.  Double check against the plans you get from John.

Any version of Home Designer/Chief Architect other than the Professional version is not up to the task of printing plans for submission.  It is really a non-pro visualization tool.  I've heard that the Pro version of Cheif Architect/Home Designer can print usable plans, but have no direct experience with that.

However, it is possible to export in DXF format from HD, and import that into a CAD or Draw program and fix up the drawings to the point where they could be submitted. I do that, and use CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator.

You may be able to get ahold of or download an evaluation copy of Home Designer to test all this out yourself.

hpinson

Another approach is to scan parts of Johns plans, import those into something like CorelDraw!, scale and manipulate them, and add the required elements for submission to planning.  Then there is pen and grid paper, which if you have any drafting or drawing skills, may be easier and you learn more about the building in the process ;)

BenB

Thanks for clarifying this all to me - would it be fair to assume many take John's plan and then use someone to draft and change from there when they needed final plans to submit?

The software itself is not a bank breaker - just hate to toss money away if it doesn't produce whats needed I guess.
You have been most helpful and I appreciate it!

BenB

another thought/idea - I have an old Dell XPS that has WIN XP on it. Therefore my understanding is this dinosaur could run the old Ver 3 software if I can locate it --- and then maybe all the templates could be used and life be easy and good. I think ????????

hpinson

Quotewould it be fair to assume many take John's plan and then use someone to draft and change from there when they needed final plans to submit?

Yes-- it's very likely you will want to customize to your own needs, and your locality may have some differing requirements for submitted plans beyond, or differing from what John provides.  Many here do seem to take plan modification on themselves.  Google Sketchup (free), and Home Designer Pro (about $500) seem to be favorites.

Older versions of 3DHA should run just fine on WinXP. Hook up an old printer, or print to PDF, and bring final drawings to a newer computer for printing.

BenB

Thanks ---- now I just need to find the dang power supply cable and pray she's still working.  ;)
I always knew there was a reason I kept that brute around for something other than a space hog.  ;D

UK4X4

I used Johns dwgs as the base of my plans- not only the structure but what way he drew the certain parts and details

My final plan was a way away from his originals - but they still provided a good base.

Google sketch up I used for the 3D stuff and working out how bits went together

I used 2 off diferent CAD programs for my actual dwgs- Turbocad and Smart Progecads free version

During this time period we went from XP to win & - I could get Smart to work by installing as an XP program- it has some bugs but works.

Google sketch up is an easier learning curve than the free available Autocad clones.

If my plan was closer to the originals I could probably have manually drawn the changes and cut and pasted what I needed from the set I bought.

Draft on squared papper and then trace onto plain paper- scan and your done

My initial plans grew and grew- then a financial and what do I really need view stepped in bring the project down to a managable size- this process took me me over a year....but a very enjoyable one with lots of help on the structure side from the people here on the site.

BenB

I played with Sketch a bit but the learning curve had me getting antsy.
I've got several 'puters and OS vary, and that old Dell still has XP so thought if I could locate on cheap a copy of the old software and then just be able to plug in thetemplate mods they have here ..... then that ol' bugger XP needed a few new drivers for new printers here and that be that. Tore out the HDs in it, few other components and it's sitting in back of truck awaiting a trip to recycle center.
So back to square 1 on all