Kitchen in a Box

Started by Shelley, February 28, 2005, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Remember those all-in-one units that Sears used to sell in the catalog?  IKEA has one.

Called ATTITYD Mini Kitchen.  $899.  Includes two zone cooktop (whatever that means)  fridge, sink faucet, countertop.  47w x 26d x 38h

www.ikea.com
It's a dry heat.  Right.

conohawk

I  just stumbled upon another manufacturer of mini kitchens. Acme Kitchenettes is mentioned in the bibliography of David Stiles' Cabins book:

http://www.acmekitchenettes.com/roemod.html

Chuckca

What you posted is a link...I called the CO and they gave me their web site:

www.acme3in1.com

Prices: they start at $2000 + (that's for a 72" w/4burner stove, sink, I'm guessing the 5cf frig w/manual defronst...

Overhead cabinets start at $500 +

Options"  back splash, micro, 6 cf auto defrost frig, vent hood n' light.....the list goes on for ever....

Hope this helps!

More info:
Backwoods Solar:

-Sells the Servel 8 cf propane frig $1340 pg 164 2004 cat

- Premier 24" propane 4 burner stove w/oven $320
pg 154 2004 cat

Which is a good deal?  How much more would a sink base, cabinets, and upper cabinets cost?

conohawk

QuoteWhat you posted is a link...I called the CO and they gave me their web site:

www.acme3in1.com

The Stiles book references what is apparently an earlier version of the web site.  The company is keeping that site up, exactly because of such references.  The new site reflects a better web design, but is essentially the same.

I suggest people use the link that you found to the nicer looking site:  //www.acme3in1.com

Say, Chuck,   did you happen to get any pricing information?  

conohawk

Thanks for including the pricing, Chuck.  
Seems high to me.  

Amanda_931

Those all-in-one kitchens always were very very high.

Low production, if you have to have it you have to have it, etc.

I don't imagine that they can be made terribly energy efficient.

Problems with electric burners, if you've got them, right next to the water supply--I've shocked myself a few times that way, not on the all-in-ones though.

There are a few odd refrigerators floating around--chest type, running on 12v or 24 volt, for instance.

Like the SunDanzers here.  Decidedly not cheap, but not all that awful either, considering the price of solar panels.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/refriger2.htm

Daddymem

QuoteRemember those all-in-one units that Sears used to sell in the catalog?  IKEA has one.

Called ATTITYD Mini Kitchen.  $899.  Includes two zone cooktop (whatever that means)  fridge, sink faucet, countertop.  47w x 26d x 38h

www.ikea.com

We just got home from ikea to check out the rumors that for under $3000 you can put together a kitchen.  It is true!  We have a picture of the $899 kitchen in a box if anyone is interested.  It has two electric burners and a sink all in one cabinet unit.  They also have a nice stand alone line of cabinets where each unit can be moved around!  They have software on their website that allows you to lay out a kitchen with their units and see it in 3D.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

ketdryn

If you are looking for smaller-sized appliances in a range of sizes and price ranges, check out this website.

http://www.compactappliance.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

They have all sorts of things from ranges, to hot plates, to RV and apartment size fridges and combo washer/dryers - just in case the kitchen in a box won't work for your project.

Amanda_931

Thanks.

They do have my small washing machine--the Danby Twin Tub, actually the biggest of their portables.  The one with the separate extractor.  Although the little Haier doesn't look bad, and it's extremely inexpensive.  

(Twin tub means that you get to schlep clothes back and forth between the tubs.  On the other hand it boasts a 1400 rpm extractor.)

spinnm

I just bought the  Maytag clones of the Asko.  24" each.  Stackable or undercounter w/o major surgery.

Seem to be OK.  Too many cycles.  Stainless tubs.  Matress pad seemed to be a strain.  Front loader with all that Europea reverse use-less-water stuff.

HD gave me a contractor's discount.  Surprised me, but asked anyway.  Maytag was having a rebate.  Bought both units even tho I hang to dry for <$1000.

Still, I long for a $600 Kenmore set where I can set the amount of time to wash rather than fiddling my way thru a million cycle options.

OK, so I'm a dinosaur.

Forgefan

We redid our kitchen using IKEA cabinets.  Great products and we did the entire gut and install in  days.  If anyone is looking at these I highly recommend them.

Daddymem

Which ones?  I've seen the lowest end ones and they didn't look too sturdy, but the other ones looked great.  Few more days and our store opens.... :)
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

Acme Kitchenettes, which we've linked to before, has apparently bought another kitchenette company.  I'd love to have their 4-burner cooktop, with that nice big (11,000 BTU) burner in the front.  It does require an electrical connection if you want to use the electronic ignition.  

http://www.acmekitchenettes.com/

http://www.acmekitchenettes.com/built-in-cooktops.html

Texan_lost_in_cali

I remember my first apartment had a cool little single unit stove on top refridge where the oven should be, maybe I can find a link somewhere.

StinkerBell

Re: The Ikea Kitchenette. I have looked at it a few times. My only concern is warping. I have had one Ikea kitchen island (very similar construction) that warped. I placed it out on my back porch for a night during summer (we were painting the kitchen) the next morning and a little dew the thing bubbled up. Of course it was my fault, however placing a kitchenette like that in a cabin/tiny home that isnt being used all year round may effect it.

I do love going to Ikea they have fun stuff there. I also enjoy their little floor plans too.

Amanda_931

Current issue of Dwell magazine had a bit about separate cook tops.  Mostly talking about the really expensive "commercial" but not "restaurant" jobs.  

Saying that there was a 20+ per cent decrease in rated power (even if you made the adjustments?--I think so) if you went from Natural Gas to Propane.  Kind of makes sense.  Natural gas is lighter, smaller molecules than propane--which is why propane sinks, so maybe it burns faster and more completely than propane.

Presumably the "camp stoves" are really rated for Propane.  The crude made-in-china 2-burner job I got (Northern, IIRC) did seem kind of wimpy run on propane with the allegedly required regulator.

On the subject of those kitchen-in-a-box jobs, my guess is a the refrigerator just below a stove-top would make for a really inefficient combination.  Electric burners and faucets haven't been a good combination for me--gotten shocked a handful of times.