Victoria Cottage - end wall pier and beam

Started by highlandva, October 21, 2011, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highlandva

On the end walls of this plan there is 1 pier shown.  If I sit the floor joists on top of the main beams than what sits on these end piers?  Should this be a 2X12 nailed to the end of each beam or hung from the inside of the beams to be flush with the ends?  Or does the pier sit up an additional 12" to sit directly under the double end joist?  Thanks again!

John Raabe

Those double joists support the end wall loads above and sit on top of the beams. The center pier supports the center of this doubled joist and the loads coming down from above (if you have a ridge beam). These piers could either be taller or have a 6x6 notched to support the center of the double joists. If you are using I-joists there should be solid web stiffeners (filler blocks) between the double joists. See http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-4000.pdf for more info.

Alternatively, you could continue the beams under the end walls as well and then set the outside joists on top of the beams just as the other walls do. This adds extra support at the end walls and would be a good idea if you end up with wide openings that move the center beam loads further away from the center of the wall. If you don't have a ridge beam however there is not much load on the gable end walls.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

NavyDave

John, I believe I understood the answer but for the sake of clarity if I'm using rafter ties then the load would be minimal on the end walls. If this is the case then either increasing the height or blocking the end piers to equal the height of the tops of the 28 foot side beams is correct? The joists would then form a perimeter sitting on top of the side beams and end posts. Do I have this correct?

Also, I am planning on increasing the length of the bedroom from 14 feet to 16 feet. Would there be an additional pier needed under each side bedroom beam or is the sole mid pier sufficient for 16 feet?

MountainDon

Let me stick 2 cents worth in here about gable end walls, if I may. A gable end wall will be transmitting wind loads from the roof down through the gable end wall to the floor/foundation. So I believe you should still have doubled joists under that end wall.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NavyDave

Don, I didn't intend to forego the double floor joists at the ends of the building. i just wanted to make sure that im correct to plan on increasing the height of the center end piers to match the top of the side beams. My plan is to use the alternate, cheaper roof using 2x8 rafters at 24"oc and 2x6 collar ties. I may have used the wrong term when I mentioned "rafter ties" previously. Sorry if it led to confusion.

MountainDon

Not to worry Dave, I don't have a copy of those plans so I was just throwing that out there as info, more or less. Wasn't sure what was going on but when I saw "load would be minimal on the end walls. " I thought I'd say something.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

The double joists supported in mid span by the taller pier as you suggest should stabilize the end walls, but if you are in a high wind area you should check with a local engineer. They could also check the roof rafter system you mention. That shouldn't be an expensive consult.
None of us are as smart as all of us.