14x24 Little House in the sticks

Started by Pa_Kettle, June 21, 2006, 09:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

Pa Kettle's exceeded his bandwidth for the day.  Oh, well.

Only the bank thermometer got up to 100 today, and they're always high.

Out here in the country--and under a table--it didn't hit 90.  But it sure felt like 90+ when I was doing a bit of yardwork.

The weather summary for Nashville in July said it had hit 100 once for the official heat-sink temperature, for the first time since 2000. (1980 was the horribly hot year for us)

Pa_Kettle

Got the walls done!  As you can see we put a bunch of windows in this puppy.

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/n/i/nibblet/land/cabin/walls_2.html

Now for the roof...  I'm thinking clipped rafters with a 2x4 tail that is at a lesser slope than the main roof and 12 inch overhangs on the gable ends.

Pk

Pa_Kettle

Finally got shots of the roof (forgot the camera on that trip  ::) )  Also got shots of the rafter extensions and the gable overhangs we did this weekend.

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/n/i/nibblet/land/cabin/roof_1.html

Next we build the gable end walls.  We so want to get this thing sheathed and out of the weather.

Funny thing, we figured we'd be seeing some cold weather by now.  While it was cool at night, I think it got up to 90 degrees during the day.

PK

Pa_Kettle

More progress...

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/n/i/nibblet/land/cabin/gable_walls.html

We've got some fairly big windows in the gable end walls.  Lots of cross breeze, we hope.

Next we'll try to sheath the walls.  Looks like we have to do those before the roof.

PK

jwv

Pa_Kettle

QuoteI get a big red Access Denied!
Judy
The site is on free webspace I get from my internet provider.  There is a daily bandwidth limit, though I don't know what it is.  If you check back a day or so later, it is usually back up.

PK

tjm73

QuoteI get a big red Access Denied!
Judy
The site is on free webspace I get from my internet provider.  There is a daily bandwidth limit, though I don't know what it is.  If you check back a day or so later, it is usually back up.

PK

I've tried a couple days in a row now and still get the denied due to access limits message.

jraabe

You will have more reliable photo posting if you host the photo you want to make your point with at one of the free hosting sites like Photobucket. Directions are HERE. Most of the photos posted on the forum are uploaded from the posters computer to one of these services.

See step 2 in how to post pictures.

And here's another thread... http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115032671

Pa_Kettle

Yeah, I've thought of linking the images to an image server but I'd have to restructure things a bit and I'm not going to do that right now.  Planning each step on the cabin and driving 4 hours each way to the build site while holding down a full time job has got my time maxed out right now.

The bellsouth site is pretty weak I guess, or else alot of people are hitting it.  I think most of the traffic drops about 3 days after I post an update here.  The site was up when I posted the response earlier today, but now it's down again.  :-/

I may bite the bullet and purchase some web space.  Then my website won't move with my ISP and I'll have more space to work.

Thanks for you patience.

PK

Sassy

Both times I've tried to access the site since you posted it, I've been able to view the pictures without any problem.  Lookin good!

jraabe

I was able to get on the BellSouth site today and capture these images. It shows the initial clipped 2x6 rafters

and then the 2x4 extensions.

Pa_Kettle

QuoteBoth times I've tried to access the site since you posted it, I've been able to view the pictures without any problem.  Lookin good!
Thanks Sassy!  I'm looking into buying web space as I type (well in between keystrokes).  Guess it would be nice to get some breathing room web-wise.

QuoteI was able to get on the BellSouth site today and capture these images. It shows the initial clipped 2x6 rafters

and then the 2x4 extensions.
Ah the (soon to be) infamous PaKettle rafter work.  ;D

PK

Pa_Kettle

Ok, got it all on a new website.  I'll probably modify things now that I have (alot) more room.

The new url is:
http://cabin.foxlore.net

Pk

smullen

QuoteOk, got it all on a new website.  I'll probably modify things now that I have (alot) more room.

The new url is:
http://cabin.foxlore.net

Pk

Its worked fine for me on both sites, but I thank you for the efforts in showing us your progress...

Looks pretty cool so far...  I'm sure much like you, I can't wait to see it finished product...

I really love watching these Cabins and Houses go up... Some of you guys really make it look easy...

PA, would you happen to have a sketch of the Floorplan or layout???

I can't wait to start on my cabin, but unfourtunatly, it might have to be a year or so...

I've got the land (really small land), but I need to get a buncha bills and credit cards paid down and off, before taking on a cabin project...

Pa_Kettle

QuoteLooks pretty cool so far...  I'm sure much like you, I can't wait to see it finished product...
Yeah, we would definitely like to at least get it out of the weather soon.  I have a nagging suspicion that "finished" is something that will come a long time from now.  The frame goes up quick but I think the detail interior work is going to take alot of time and patience.

QuotePA, would you happen to have a sketch of the Floorplan or layout???
I don't, because we really don't know how we want to lay things out yet.  We know some sort of bathroom and kitchen area will reside under the large loft area.  There will be a wood stove _somewhere_.  Besides that, we plan to put a short platform for the bed, in the large loft.

QuoteI can't wait to start on my cabin, but unfourtunatly, it might have to be a year or so...

I've got the land (really small land), but I need to get a buncha bills and credit cards paid down and off, before taking on a cabin project...
Yep, that's the best thing to do, pay cash or have the building expenses be the only thing you borrow for.  One thing I've learned is, once you get them paid off,  _never_ carry a balance on a credit card.  Once you make it a habit to consider credit card purchases that same a writing a check, it's much easier to live within you means.

Good luck with your project!  Where about is your land?

PK

jraabe

It is looking good PK - and thanks for sharing and helping others.  ;)

smullen

QuoteLooks pretty cool so far...  I'm sure much like you, I can't wait to see it finished product...
Yeah, we would definitely like to at least get it out of the weather soon.  I have a nagging suspicion that "finished" is something that will come a long time from now.  The frame goes up quick but I think the detail interior work is going to take alot of time and patience.

QuotePA, would you happen to have a sketch of the Floorplan or layout???
I don't, because we really don't know how we want to lay things out yet.  We know some sort of bathroom and kitchen area will reside under the large loft area.  There will be a wood stove _somewhere_.  Besides that, we plan to put a short platform for the bed, in the large loft.

QuoteI can't wait to start on my cabin, but unfourtunatly, it might have to be a year or so...

Yep, that's the best thing to do, pay cash or have the building expenses be the only thing you borrow for.  One thing I've learned is, once you get them paid off,  _never_ carry a balance on a credit card.  Once you make it a habit to consider credit card purchases that same a writing a check, it's much easier to live within you means.

Good luck with your project!  Where about is your land?

PK

My land is in Southern Missouri....   Around Fredricktown, Park Hills and Farmington area...  

Nothing special, but we really enjoy it....

Amanda_931

If it's going to be your home place, it is special.

smullen

QuoteIf it's going to be your home place, it is special.

For now, we wnt to build something just for weekends and summer vacations, but long term to be able to retire there; away from the city...

I'd so love to be able to get up in the morning and go for a about a 3 mile or so walk/jog/bike ride around the lake or just walk down to one of the docks and take a swim, then get on with whatever the day brings....  Be it spending an few hours working in the gargen or working out on the weight bench and punching bag...  I want a bench and a bag outside and not have to worry about them walking away...

My long time best friend (lalmost 20 yrs) has a cabin about 300 yards off to one side of our land...  We dug a big "Fire Pit" ehind his cabin thats about 4 foot in diameter and 2-3 foot deep... We spend a lot of nights out there just talkiing and enjoying the stars....  Can't wait to go back down there again...

Pa_Kettle

More progress...  I've tried to add useful tips in an attempt to make things more educational. ;D
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/sheathing_1.html

glenn-k

Looks good PK, and sharing the knowledge is what this forum is about. :)

Pa_Kettle

A bit more progress...
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/sheathing_2.html

We actually did this work before Thanksgiving, but I got caught up with holiday plans and didn't get the update posted here.

We think we have a line on a crew that can do the roof sheathing, underlayment and the metal top surface.  I think the roof is just too steep for me to tackle.  Of course that is subject to change. ;)

We are heading out there this weekend to do the rafter blocking and hopefully finish up the walls.  It's 8 degrees F out there tonight. :o  Luckily it's going to warm up a bit this weekend.

Thanks,
PK

Pa_Kettle

Yes, we are still alive...  ;D  We took the winter off and had a professional do our roof.  It turned out WAY nice. :)

Here's a link where we finished up most of the sheathing last Dec.:
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/sheathing_3.html

And here are some shots of the new roof:
http://cabin.foxlore.net/cabin/metal_roof.html

We've got a little bit of gable sheathing to do and then it's on to the windows.  We just might be sleeping in this thing by May.

Thanks,
PK

glenn-k

Nice to see you here PK.  Progress looks good.

We also had a pro do a roof on a house - much better than I would have done.

phalynx

PK,

If you don't mind, how much did the roof cost to have it installed, materials + labor?

thanks,