20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Quote from: CjAl on April 26, 2012, 09:46:18 PM
i had 1000 in my.living room at one point chirping away. freak cold snap. wasnt any sleeping that night.

That's a lot of chicks  :D  My grandmother from Minnesota had a hatchery business - she had a 2 story home & one story was for the hatchery.

Bob S...  I also remember my dad chopping the heads off some of our chickens & seeing them run around in circles  :o  They were my friends, used to carry them around & swing w/them  ::)  guess the fascination of seeing them run around overcame any sadness that they would no longer be my friends  d*  I also remember dunking them in a bucket of hot water & plucking their feathers off   [noidea'  Never will forget the smell  [waiting]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

JavaMan

Quote from: Sassy on April 27, 2012, 11:19:30 AM
That's a lot of chicks  :D  My grandmother from Minnesota had a hatchery business - she had a 2 story home & one story was for the hatchery.

Bob S...  I also remember my dad chopping the heads off some of our chickens & seeing them run around in circles  :o  They were my friends, used to carry them around & swing w/them  ::)  guess the fascination of seeing them run around overcame any sadness that they would no longer be my friends  d*  I also remember dunking them in a bucket of hot water & plucking their feathers off   [noidea'  Never will forget the smell  [waiting]

Ah, the smell.  that's the reason Beautiful won't let me butcher any of ours. We spent a few days before Thanksgiving two years ago with 26 of them in the brooding pen in the house (and no power for 3 days) - then the cousins showed up and one little girl loved them, but wanted to make them fly by holding them out in one hand and spinning like a top.

We wound up with 4 roos and a friend butchered three of them

Maybe next spring we'll get a few more chicks to start replacing the older hens.

I think I'll get a couple turkeys, too - call them Christmas and Thanksgiving.  :)

I love the build.  I wish I had 1/2 the energy you've got!  You're the only guy I know that can work harder than Old Jarhead ;-)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Bob S. on April 26, 2012, 08:46:33 PM
Us old farts remember that you chop off some of their heads and eat them.

LOL

Mom tried that and it got away!  Headless chickens run around like crazy.

Best to ring their necks first!

EaglesSJ

here are the latest additions to our family. Our baby girl Audrey Marie, and our 4 Nubian kids; Princess Ann, Luisa, Big Brown, and Johnny.

ben2go

The babys home.Congrats.She's cute as a button.  [cool]

mogie01

Congratulations!!  You have a beautiful family.

mtman

Congratulations!! What a doll baby!

Sassy

Congratulations & w* to your beautiful new little girl!  Your goat family is pretty nice, too  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

phalynx

Congrats...   Another addition to the A frame family....

astidham

Congratulations! she is beautiful!

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

EaglesSJ

been fencing the past couple days. 95 degrees and dry as a bone. Dug a few inches and then poured water in the hole. Waited a couple hours to soak in and then repeated. Ground was hard as a rock. Still have a couple strands of wire left to put up.

Texas Tornado

waterbug

Congratulations on adding Audrey Marie to the family!

I always enjoy seeing and reading about the improvements you have made to your place.

PorkChopsMmm

Ditto on the congratulations. It is always fun seeing new life, baby or goat or otherwise!

Quick question -- do you have a garage or any larger shed that you store vehicles or other larger equipment? I know you have your solar shed but I am wondering if you have plans for anything bigger. We have moved out to our place and are finding a garage or pole barn would be very useful. Just wondering if you have run into the same situation since you have lived at your place for so long.

EaglesSJ

Thanks to all for the congrats. We couldnt be any prouder of our family! As for the shed/barn, it has been burning a hole in my head for a couple months now. Problem is I have too much going on and not enough funds to cover it all. I still have to finish the addition. Although a barn of some sort will have to be built before winter because we have to have somewhere to store a seasons worth of hay for the animals. Around here farmers sell out by September.

PorkChopsMmm

Wow, good point on the hay. That is not something I thought of. If you find a solution for a cheap shed/barn/garage shelter please let us know. I have priced out pole barns and it looks like I would be in for $5k for an unassembled 24x28 pole barn. That is just too much money and it would take me a long time to do myself. Congrats again!

EaglesSJ

More homesteading pictures. These are our pigs, Boss Hog and Lucy. They are hamp/york crosses. They will be our breeders and we will eat/sell their offspring. Our kittens are getting old enough to walk around, and the baby chicks are already roaming around eating bugs. The kids are really warming up to us as well with the biggest buck really loving me. The others came bounding over when the seen Lindsay with the camera.

MJW

I have followed your thread and you are really living the dream! Congrats to you!

Where are you located in KY?
Michael

I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive.

EaglesSJ

Right in the middle of the state near a little place called Mt. Sherman

MJW

Your story is most inspiring.

Thanks for sharing it!
Michael

I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive.

Southern Steve

same area Abraham Lincoln was born in.   cool.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Southern Steve on June 04, 2012, 08:09:59 PM
same area Abraham Lincoln was born in.   cool.

about 15 minutes down the road

mgramann

Why the switch to 48?  Are you getting a bigger inverter?

BTW- I love your homestead!  Keep posting updates and pics-they are quite inspirational.  We hope to be doing something similar in the Michigan U.P. soon!

EaglesSJ

Adding 8 sharp 230w panels if the deal goes through. I didnt want to have to buy and wire up another $700 flexmax 80 controller so I opted to go to 48v. Ill also gain just a hair more efficiency and it will allow me to have up to a 5kW array on my current charge controller.