Have you given your cabins a name?

Started by AdironDoc, December 12, 2010, 03:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

Seems only fair that a cabin gets a name, right? After all, it's a member of the family.. Boats do...some people's mansions do...(alas, I've given up finding proper names for my mansions  ;)), but I was wondering how many of you have done so for your cabins. To me, it lends a certain personality to the abode. Living near the beginning of the creek that traverses my acres risks me telling people that come Friday, I'll again be "up the creek".

So what say you all? Name or no? I'm thinking, nice carved wood over the entrance, welcoming visitors. "Skeeter Bog Lodge". Sorta rolls off the tongue, no? Finding a proper name is proving the most difficult of my projects.. A muse please!

rdzone

We haven't yet but have been talking about it.  My wife wants to have a black bear theme, so we were thinking of names along that line.  Maybe the bear den or black bear retreat.  Nothing decided yet.
Chuck

Erin

My folks have had a cabin for over 30 years.  It's still just "The Cabin."  ;)

But that's probably just where I live... 
For right or for wrong, in my part of the world, naming one's place tends to be considered a bit pretentious and/or silly. 
Even big ranches are usually just named for the owner's last name (ex., Wilson Land and Cattle, or Wilson Ranches) or their brand, ie, Mill Bar Angus. 

I doubt anyone would ever say anything, but to be sure, if someone refers to their place by a name everyone around them shoots each other sidelong looks of puzzlement and then realizations of "oh...an import."
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Don_P

We decided to call our place windyhill when the roof blew off the shed  d*

glenn kangiser

After the 9/11 false flag operation, and Cheney going to his undisclosed location to command or assist the operation (based on my take on the evidence surrounding the event) I started calling my place "The Underground Command Center"  and  "The Underground Complex".

Just stating how I arrived at the name -not really trying to start an opinion war.... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cmsilvay

Nope never named it but have called it plenty that cant be repeated  ;D

StinkerBell

We called our property in Kettle Falls..."Chicken Acre"

MikeOnBike

Every time we camped at our place this summer we had a pack of coyotes come across the ridge hunting at night.  They made a racket like a bunch of junior high kids.  We also have the most beautiful dark star filled night sky.  So it has become the 'Coyote Ridge Observatory'.

DirtyLittleSecret

Since I was born there...I call it home (even though I "live, work, and work" more than 50 miles away).
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

AdironDoc

mpls_ham

Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

MaineRhino

We just call it "The Mountain".

We also have a family camp that my grandfather built in the 60's on a nearby lake, he called it "Tranquility Cottage".

ScottA

We call our cabin home. But the property is called deer run.

MushCreek

Ours won't be a cabin, but our year-round home. I've thought of a lot of names incorporating 'farm', such as Mush Creek Hill Farm, but my all-time favorite (and I might use it) is 'Timely Manor'. Sounds like a British sit-com!

When I get my vintage truck to use around the place, it will be called the turnip truck, with lettering such as, "Mush Creek Hill Farm, Purveyors of Fine Turnips'. Then I'm gonna charge people $5 to fall of of it.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

texasgun

I usually refer to mine as the "money pit" d*
WEST TEXAS

AdironDoc

Quote from: texasgun on December 13, 2010, 05:18:03 PM
I usually refer to mine as the "money pit" d*

I think Tom Hanks' has a place by that name.  ;D

MountainDon

Our cabin is just "the cabin" but it is located on Pine Ridge Lane on Pine Ridge
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

das fisch

still trying to come up with a name for out new camp.

We are currently selling a camp in the south-west corner of the Adirondack park which was passed on to myself and my two brother from our aunt a few years ago. She instilled a love of nature and simpler ways in use (or definitely at least me), and I have been going to her camp since I was about 4 months old. Unfortunately the drive from Maine to NY is just too far (almost 7hrs) to make it usable as much as we'd like so the decision was made to sell that one and with ALL of the sale profits purchase a new one closer to home in the western Maine mtns.
So we want the camp to honor her and what she provided to us and will name it accordingly.
so we'll see what we come up with.

rwanders

Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

AdironDoc

Is that considered the Tug Hill Plateau? My camp is also in the SW Adirondacks, in Herkimer County, close to Russia, Poland and Norway. Sounds like a european vacation whenever I drive those parts.  Lovely area. How large a camp are you selling?

Quote from: das fisch on December 13, 2010, 09:31:20 PM
still trying to come up with a name for out new camp.

We are currently selling a camp in the south-west corner of the Adirondack park which was passed on to myself and my two brother from our aunt a few years ago. She instilled a love of nature and simpler ways in use (or definitely at least me), and I have been going to her camp since I was about 4 months old. Unfortunately the drive from Maine to NY is just too far (almost 7hrs) to make it usable as much as we'd like so the decision was made to sell that one and with ALL of the sale profits purchase a new one closer to home in the western Maine mtns.
So we want the camp to honor her and what she provided to us and will name it accordingly.
so we'll see what we come up with.

das fisch

we're not out as far as tug hill, we're in between Old Forge and Inlet.
the camp is about 1000 sq ft. here's the link to the realtor's page with plenty of pics

http://www.jherron.com/pages/detail.cfm?listing_id=926

AdironDoc

Wow,  fantastic cabin, and, Old Forge is a really fun town.  I can see you must have a wealth of wonderful memories at your aunt's camp. I'm sure you have a few albums filled with fond photos.

Best,
Doc

Quote from: das fisch on December 13, 2010, 10:37:24 PM
we're not out as far as tug hill, we're in between Old Forge and Inlet.
the camp is about 1000 sq ft. here's the link to the realtor's page with plenty of pics

http://www.jherron.com/pages/detail.cfm?listing_id=926

Rover

Considering the zoning only allowed me to build a tool shed or a mc mansion; we could only afford the cheaper one.  And its 108sf to avoid needing a permit.  So we call it "The Shed" or "The Cabin".  Neither word has stuck yet.

We tried saying "The Getaway" after reading many books on cabins, but too many syllables. 

We sometimes referred to it as the cottage or chalet or 'our place up north' but then friends and acquaintenances get the wrong idea.  They think I'm rich having another home and even get that sparkle in their eye wanting to get invited up.

AdironDoc

Quote from: Rover on December 15, 2010, 10:42:08 AM
Considering the zoning only allowed me to build a tool shed or a mc mansion; we could only afford the cheaper one.  And its 108sf to avoid needing a permit.  So we call it "The Shed" or "The Cabin".  Neither word has stuck yet.

They think I'm rich having another home and even get that sparkle in their eye wanting to get invited up.

I've heard some people here call their 12 x 12 a shabin. Seems the word is gaining in popularity as I find shabins on the internet too. Rich? We who have a place to run to are indeed all rich :D

MushCreek

Another name I've considered as a push-back from the Mcmansion trend is to call ours 'The McCottage'.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.