Anyone used a good brand of fake rock panel?

Started by AdironDoc, October 08, 2011, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

I'm looking at putting up faux- river rock paneling behind my wood stove and see so many brands and prices out there. They seem to range in quality from poor to very realistic. Unfortunately, the brand I liked the most is modular and with the side pieces, ends up at 71 inches wide. The space between my windows is 72, without moldings. That could be a problem. I was hoping that anyone who's used a good brand of heat-rated faux stone could tell me the brand. It's hard to get a handle on realness and quality looking at a website. Thanks.

Doc

My stones will reach 7'6" to the log running across.

http://www.anticoelements.com/river-rock-panels/267-brook-river-rock-faux-panels-boulder-gray.html

Redoverfarm

Doc you could always lay your own Faux stone.  Not that hard and you can make whatever demensions you would need.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 08, 2011, 02:43:44 PM
Doc you could always lay your own Faux stone.  Not that hard and you can make whatever demensions you would need.

Several here in have done so with great results.  I did a wall in the old house in brick that was okay.  I think you would still need to go with fire proof sheet rock behind it or better some type of james hardi type cement board.  Check on code there.  Seen some where new was two .50 inch fire proof sheet rock layered?    But that might have been in a garage with apartment over the top I was looking at the other day at the lumber yard....  ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

AdironDoc

I hadn't considered that option. The stones are fake but the cement I'd use is real? If it's not too hard, I wouldn't mind trying it. I was also wondering if it came down to using real cement, maybe just use real stones. The creek behind the house is full of 'em. Was more concerned about difficulty and overall weight with that option.

My other option is to buy the redi-boards, fireproof option, cut the edges on my table saw, then cobble together a cement or slate look edging. It could look odd that a rock sort of just cuts off at the border. Darn shame that with the fit-lock matching sides, I get less than an inch on each side of the windows. Only thing I was thinking was go without moldings on the windows of that wall.

I'd love to know more about the fake stones.

rick91351

Doc most stone work you see on buildings today are faux stones.  Here is some of John's handy work at Dogtrot at Hightop

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.740
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3613.760

If it does not take you to the right page look at page 38 and 39.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

AdironDoc

Wow! That's a mighty impressive job, and, I do thank you much for the link. Looking at it, I'd figure John's a mason by trade., but I'm starting to think I'd be up for the challenge of it.

Seems that even with river rock being most common up here in the 'dacks', the dry stack look of ledgestone just looks real nice. Wonder if it would look out of place. Something gives me the feeling it's easier to work with and means less visible cement.

rick91351

Doc check out the 'rock' available at the 'local masonry center'.  Not just HD and Lowes.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your options.

Redoverfarm

No Doc I am not a professional mason.  Just something I picked up over the years.  It is not as difficult as it may seem.  The best part of using faux stone and that you do not need a foundation to support it.  You can use it on a plywood or durarock or similar concrete board.  In fact you can double the board for extra protection.  I generally add the board and then nail lathe wire, Parge with a mortar and then lay the stones to the parge coat.  If you are really serious I can give you step by step instructions.  If they don't work out you don't have to worry about paying me. ;) He.He

Here is stone on a plywood substrate

This is stone on a block substrate.  But there is no difference in it's appearence

Here is the company that I use basicly because it is closeby and I can pick it up.  They will ship and there product is sold in Lowes Stores.  There are other companies that manufacture stone of this type.  A listing is on my Desk top so I will include it in a modfied post late.  I believe they also have a panelized stone veneer as well.  If you check out their "Products" you will see the traditional stone and the new "MSI Panels" in a variety of patterns.  If I can be of any help feel free.  

http://www.manufactured-rock.com/

This is a drystack I did at my house.  A lot of people confuse Drystack with ledge stone. Yes they are laid to appear not to have mortar joints but Drystack are normally larger sized stone where ledge stones are thinner and longer.

NM_Shooter

Do keep in mind that any material between your fireplace and the wall does not improve clearance issues if in contact with flammable surface (studs / sheetrock).  You have to have an air gap or you may be in violation. 

The faux stone may qualify as shield material, but in order for it to be a shield you still have to have that 1" vent gap or so.  If you place your stone directly on hardie board, and hardie board directly on studs, I believe that the clearance distance is now to the face of the stone, as that will conduct the heat directly back to the studs.  (waiting on Mtn Don to clarify this....)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

correct   :)

1" minimum air space with open slot at the bottom and top for airflow. There are ceramic spacers available. Don't place screws into studs directly behind the stove; okay off to the side.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: MountainDon on October 11, 2011, 06:30:16 PM
correct   :)

1" minimum air space with open slot at the bottom and top for airflow. There are ceramic spacers available. Don't place screws into studs directly behind the stove; okay off to the side.

Don is that still required if you abide by the appliance's engineered clearance requirements? 

MountainDon

Quote from: rick91351 on October 11, 2011, 07:42:50 PM
Don is that still required if you abide by the appliance's engineered clearance requirements?  

Let me answer that with some data provided with our VC Aspen wood stove.  They provide required clearances for non-protected and protected surfaces. With no extra heat shields on the stove itself:
Side clearance to a parallel non protected surface: 24"
Side clearance to a parallel protected* surface: 16"
They go on to list rear clearances, clearances for top chimney and rear chimney exits, clearances for corner (diagonal) installations and full info on chimney pipe clearances. They use distance measurements from the protruding edge of the top plate to the combustible surface.

*Where protected surface has the 1" air space behind it and a minimum of 50% of the bottom 1" is open and the top is fully open. If metal is used it has to be 24 gauge or heavier.

I believe any current EPA listed stove will have the same information available and I believe by law that info must be on a permanently attached plate on the rear of the stove. If it is a non listed stove then NFPA has recommended clearances for both protected and non protected surfaces.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/NFPA_Wall_Clearance_Reductions/

Vermont Castings has all their manuals with the info online. I imagine most other stove manufacturers would do the same.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

AdironDoc

Thanks for the info, guys. Your points are well taken. I have no intention of reducing the stove manufacturer's minimum clearance requirements because of the materials I choose. The faux wall is for appearance only but I'd feel better knowing it's heat rated. Moreover, it's my understanding that double wall pipe can be placed at any distance 6" or greater from the wall. IMO, any less than that ends up looking a bit odd anyway.

Don_P

Fake stone is one option but real stone is available in many forms. The pallets of thin veneer stone (lick and stick is often the jobsite name) at many building suppliers is the real deal and can usually be put on at 2" thick and not a whole lot of weight, generally sedimentary. Luck stone, and I'm sure others, saw the backside of rocks off to make a lightweight version of large rock. And then there's the real thing, hard to believe we ever thought of a new and improved rock  :D.