dream cabin

Started by devonia111, January 08, 2006, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devonia111

can anyone draw plans for an offset cabin with shed roof to build in florida?

______
l          l    X
l          l_____
l          l        l
l          l        l
l_____ l        l
 X      l         l
         l_____l

one side great room with kitchen dining room living room: dining room with sliding glass door out to patio. One roof higher than the other for small windows across top. The other side bedroom bath laundry/pantry. with sliding glass doors out to other patio from bedroom. let's say each side about 16'x24'
 I put an x for patio spaces. Thank you for looking, any ideal welcomed.    

Jimmy C.

That sounds like two of the little house plans merged together.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/19.html
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

devonia111

Are all the plans suitable for florida( Lake City area)? hurricane braces and all that? has anyone built in florida? It is almost like 2 of the lil house plans put together. can they be built to 16x24? i would also like to make this cabin self efficent as far as solar or wind power.

rampage

Cool, a fellow Floridian! Jimmy was right on about merging 2 plans together. Where in Florida are you building? I'm in the NE.

rampage

Your close to where i live (jacksonville). I bought the Enhilada plans. I was told to run it by an engineer or architech to get the specs for wind bracing. You should look at the plans available here. They are easy to modify and are expandable.

devonia111

I was thinking about buying the little house plans and merging two of the larger ones together with a shed roof. FYI i was looking at the solar windows with the sliding glass door panels: did you know that you can get the flashing signs they use on highway construction to use  also. you can get them free from rental places, if they have been damaged they can't use them but they will still work great as solar panels. I have that information somewhere if you are intersted i'll see if i can find it and post it. you can also use them for solar hotwater heaters! excited me!

John Raabe

Yes, you could merge two versions of the Little House plans (say the 14' wide x 24' long) and have each use a shed roof (meeting together where they overlap to form a low-pitch gable).

Since you plans will need an engineering review you might want to start with the Enchilada set which has details for a full perimeter concrete foundation. You may not be able to get the post and pier foundation to fly with the heavy wind load... (actually flying might be part of the concern ;D)
None of us are as smart as all of us.