Hey... what are these slots for?

Started by NM_Shooter, July 16, 2009, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

On the bottom of my OSB floor sheeting, there are some milled slots on the 4' ends that are about 3/8" notches.  I'm guessing these are used to help align the ends of the OSB?

Where do I get the small strips / biscuits / whatever to use with these?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Ernest T. Bass

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

NM_Shooter

Maybe! 

Since I'm supposed to leave 1/8" gap between the butt joints, it could very well be weep channels.

Redoverfarm

Frank I haven't seen any like that.  The standard biscuits are not that thick. I am thinking 1/8".   If they are not the right thickness then chances are they will not give the proper alignment.  But are they really needed as the ends will sit on the joist and be attached so where are they going to go.  I doubt structurally they will not accomplish a whole lot.  Maybe check with the lumber yard where you got the OSB and see what they tell you or if anyting manufactured by the company is available.

Then again they could be to use spacers that will give you the uniform gaps.

NM_Shooter

Take a look at this graphic.  The slots that I am wondering about are not the large cutouts in the T&G portion, rather it is the little square slots that you can see in the ends of the wood...

http://www.lpcorp.com/subflooring/whylptopnotch/whylptopnotch.aspx

Redoverfarm

The picture shows that is to let the water drain off.  Frank if this is the product you got it is similar to Advantex.  It has a wax & resin composition.  Without the picture I was seeing a slot on the 4'width similar to a biscuit joint but now I see what you were referring to.

diyfrank

I was told by the people I got mine from they will let water weep through instead of pooling. It help keep the edges from swelling.
It's the same looking stuff that I have.
Home is where you make it

diyfrank

Quote from: NM_Shooter on July 16, 2009, 10:40:22 PM
Take a look at this graphic.  The slots that I am wondering about are not the large cutouts in the T&G portion, rather it is the little square slots that you can see in the ends of the wood...

http://www.lpcorp.com/subflooring/whylptopnotch/whylptopnotch.aspx

I did notice the groove until I reread this and looked again.
That is weird..
Home is where you make it

Don_P

Yup they're drainage channels to let water that gets in over the ends off the joist underneath. Don't worry, they'll get filled with subfloor glue  ;D