sheet rock thickness for ceiling?

Started by river place, September 30, 2009, 06:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river place

Until we build our main house we're constructing guest quarters in the barn.  The ceiling width is 9.5' so I'm wondering if I should use 10' long 5/8 thick sheet rock to eliminate addition mud work or use 8' 1/2 thick and deal with the extra mud work?  The joists are 2 x 10 on 16 inch centers so holdup 5/8 should not be a problem with the extra sheet rock screws.  The 5/8 thick stuff is a bit more to handle putting it up there though.

ScottA

I used 12' long 5/8" sheets on my ceiling. Makes a flatter looking cieling. They are kinda heavy though.

fishing_guy

5/8" on ceilings is usually used for trusses on 24" centers or as a firestop.  1/2" would work just fine on 16" centers.  One other option, depending on the cost would be to go with 12' 1/2" drywall and just cut off the extra 2'.

Anything you can do to minimize butt joints on ceilings would be a good thing, unless you are a very good taper.  It does tend to show.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Woodswalker

I'm pretty sure codes require 5/8" on ceilings to slow flame spread in the event of a fire.  Inspectors have told me that and I've read the same in how-to books.

MountainDon

IRC 2006 section R702.3.5 allows sheetrock as thin as 3/8" under some conditions. %/8" is better at hiding variations in ceiling joist alignment; think dips in the joist. But it is much heavier than 1/2". I'd use the 1/2" 12 ft long sheets if I had the ability (helpers and/or a jack) to lift and hold them safely.

Max screw spacing of 12" on any thickness when no adhesive used; 16" with adhesive.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

Depends on the insulation.  I can't find my chart as to how many inches deep of insulation per spacing per thickness of drywall required.  5/8 is always a safe call at 16" OC.

river place

The local big box store near me only carrys the extra length stuff in 5/8 thickness so that looks like the way to go.  I usually load up the evening before our 5hr drive to our place as it saves time.

ScottA

I'll say a prayer for you and I already feel your pain.

river place

I think I'll cheat on the install and bolt 2 2x4x10's to the one end of the room and then run the ATV winch cable over the joist to pull the 2x4's with a sheet of sheetrock up to the ceiling.  It's in the barn so room for this type of thing.  We shall see.

rwanders

You can usually rent sheetrock lifts very economically at most tool rental places----much faster and safer then jury-rigging something-----5/8 rock is not really that much heavier and ensures a flatter finish without the waviness often seen with 1/2 on ceilings.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

cmsilvay

I used 1/2x8 but ran them from then long ways , then I used 1x4's over the screws and but joints. No taping or mudding on the ceiling. i still have to finnish the trim between the collar joists

rwanders

I've seen some pretty nice looking examples of that "rock & batten" method before-----got any pictures?
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

river place

I planned on loading up Friday midday and heading off to our place however I had to attend a conference call so that delayed departure until Saturday morning.  I did try to buy so 10ft sheet rock and at the first big box store near the house there was no one around and I wasn't going to load it myself, so I left the other items we were going to purchase laying on the sheet rock stack and walked out.  Went to the competing big box store and they were all out of 10ft sheet rock. 

We went up to our place and I did a few other things like run the vent through the roof for the new bathroom and just relaxed.  After thinking about it further I think we'll just go OSB and paint it as it's a place for guests to relax and put the effort into our build when we start.  I can cover the joints with wood as mentioned.