3D Home Architect

Started by IronRanger, December 31, 2008, 06:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronRanger

Does 3D Home Architect support compact appliances?

I'm working on the 12x18 Little House plans and full-size appliances eat up a huge amount of space for what I want:  a full-time living space that feels like a home (versus a cabin) greatly scaled-down.

If not, I'll continue with my graph paper cut-outs.

Thanks.
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

MountainDon

w* IronRanger. I don't know about the compact appliances in 3DA; sorry. But we did the preliminasry planning for our cabin using graph paper cut outs. After we thought we had a plan we drew it out on the concrete driveway full size.  :D

Then paper and pencil for the construction plans.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

IronRanger

Yea, I'm considering a full-size layout, including walls, appliances, etc. from cardboard.  Every inch counts when you're trying to build a small version of an average american home (minus the bedrooms  ;) )  I've considered building an additional 12x18.  I'd use a shed roof on both, so it'd be one continuous shell, but I could use the one side full-time and the other for guests/entertaining; I'd open the french doors in the winter for the wood stove I'd have on that side.   

I'm still considering other house plans off the site, I just want something small that works for me...I'd go nuts in an 8'x8', but a Victoria Cottage seems like overkill since I've been looking at the 12x18.  I was amazed at how palatial the Victoria Cottage seemed after scaled drawings of the 12x18.  All I can think now is "WHAT would I do with all that space?"  :D  It's challenging to fit my vision on paper, but I feel better and better about it as I go along.

Thanks for your response.

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

michaelosully

Yes, 3D Home Architect software can handle any size appliance.  You initally select the appliance you want and after placing it in room ... use the pointer to highlight the appliance, then 'resize' it to any dimension you want.  You can start with a 36" double door refrigerator and resize it to be a 24" double door refridgerator.  Another option to resize any object including appliances, windows, doors, etc is to look at the item in 3D view, then double click the item ... a specification window will pop up allowing you to enter the exact height and width you want.
Hope this helps.

Native_NM

Here is another idea if your current house supports it:  use it as a guide.  Our current home has a kitchen / great room area that is 18 x 40 between the two rooms.  My wife is now leaning toward the 20 x 32 based on our little test.  We actually moved furniture around, and put up some fake "walls" to  help visualize the space.  Our "walls" were actually 4 x 8 sheets of foam insulation that we will need anyway.  They are light and easy to move.  I just stored them in the garage until build time.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

tesa

along that same line, we used saplings we have cut down, and layed them on the ground, then used
other saplings to mark out walls

it was rustic, but gave us a general idea of room size, and it helped us "see" what we were thinking

the first time we did it, we went to a school and used wooden stakes with orange tape in the middle of
their football field

our property is still tree covered, but the lot next to us is 1/2 cleared, so we walked over there and layed
out some saplings

it really helped us alot

i also like the idea of using chalk on the driveway, with chalk, i could really go to town!

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

IronRanger

I replied yesterday, but it didn't post...

I ordered 3D HA the other day, so thanks for the tip, michaelosully.

As it turns out, my apartment's main living area is 16' wide, so I laid-out some scotch tape and marked-off length and width.  16x24's not nearly as large as I had it in my head, but I'll probably end up in that area (16'x24-28').  Unless I decide to go for a microhome with additions in mind.  :D So many possibilities.   :)  I'm debating how rustic I'd like to start.  I'm definitely not up for runs to the outhouse in a minnesota winter, but I could live with a wet bath...we'll see.

Thanks for the replies.

glenn kangiser

We have had a couple posting problems lately - hope it's nothing major.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.