Electric Water Heater Timer

Started by bayview, December 28, 2013, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

I am installing a "quick disconnect" in the utility room for the 40 gal electric water heater.

Would it be a good idea to also install a timer?   Would a timer save any electricity?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Redoverfarm

Quote from: bayview on December 28, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
I am installing a "quick disconnect" in the utility room for the 40 gal electric water heater.

Would it be a good idea to also install a timer?   Would a timer save any electricity?

/.

Probably just depends.  Is there long periods of time that you will not be using it?  If it is then the heater has to start up and heat virtually cold or cool water and the amount of electricity just to do that would probably be the same as leaving it on.  You might get just as much energy savings from Wraping the tank with thermal jacket and then using insulated pipe wrap.  Just my thought.

Jarek

If you are buying new water heater look for one with smart mode and vacation mode. Vacation mode keeps temp at 60 by default but you can change that, smart mode learns usage patterns and it will keep water few degrees cooler in off peak usage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

UK4X4

Water heaters...we all love hot water....

But as a travelling person I see all sorts of versions in each country

electric on demand.....make me nervous
gas on demand...lovely if large enough pipes are installed....

electric....why have 50 gallons of water sat for instant use when the whole household is asleep ....

Gas- we had a 100 gal tank in Bogota......I set the temp for the temp i like to shower at....ie zero cold water- just turn on the hot and your good to go

if your looking for lowering bills

Insulate as best you can
get a descent accurate thermostat
A timer too can add to savings

A large volume of water takes a lot of energy to heat up- but also stores well when highly insulated

The more insulation the less energy needed to maintain the mass at X temperature

The lower the temperature you maintain the volume the less energy required

low usage -ie at night why maintain the optimum temp when no one is using it

So the idea to optimise the water heater  as economically as possible would be a three stage hit

1 insulate the tank as well as possible
2 choose a temp just above what you want as hot....why have it at 80oC when when you shower at 40oC
3 set the timer to shut off at arround 9ish and back on arround 6-7 depending on what time you get up

use the system and adjust as necessary,,,adding either temp or adjusting the on off times

Getting a USB temperature data logger and putting under the insulation would give you your diurnal change

Insulation no power usage
Thermostat no power usage
the timer would have a power usage but per 24hrs would be minimal compared to 15mins of 5000watts of heat element

MountainDon

Do you have a "smart meter", different cost of power at different times of the day? Timer makes sense then. About $60

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Just for some more fodder, we were gone for ~48 hours over the holiday. I shut off the pump and water heater. The WH is a stock lowboy 40 gal and in the unheated crawlspace which doesn't freeze. The water was not hot but still warm when we returned. I've been meaning to install a timer for about a quarter century now   d*.

astidham

We keep our 40 gallon water heater off, and when we need hot water, we plan ahead and turn it on 30 minutes before use. On average as we can tell, saves us 25. To 30. Dollars a month in electricity.
Also, our water heater is in a conditioned space.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

bayview

Well . . .    I installed an Intermatic 220 Volt timer.  (Opting for the heavier outside "sealed" timer case)    Price with Sealtite flexible conduit, fittings and #8 wire was about $65.00

Our last big heated water demand is the dishwasher after dinner.    So, I will turn off the water heater about 8 PM and back on about 6 AM.   We are normally up at about 7-7:30. 

Off time - 10 hours per day.   I wonder if I will be saving any electricity.   Since the heater will have a larger demand first thing in the morning.   Obviously, no way to really tell.   Unless the water heater was on a separate meter.

/.   

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .