Nails or Screws?

Started by FutureBumpkin, February 10, 2013, 04:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureBumpkin

Heading down to the NC property in March to build a deck a/k/a sleeping platform so we can at least start camping on our vacant land, and enjoy the lake this summer.  We are total construction newbies!

I am going the route of a "deck kit" from 84 Lumber, so I don't have to figure out everything I need - lessen my margin of error(s) and trips back and forth to the hardware store.

The materials list includes all spiral thread deck nails.  My question is:  from both a labor and strength standpoint, should I consider going the screw route?  Thinking a power drill is preferable to a hammer, but not sure.

DIYer's opinions??  Thanks!
Perfectly imperfect and consistently inconsistent.

Redoverfarm

There is some good information in an earlier post @

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9146.msg118058#msg118058

FutureBumpkin

Geez, the subject line was even identical.   :-[  I'm such a newbie.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: FutureBumpkin on February 10, 2013, 05:18:11 PM
Geez, the subject line was even identical.   :-[  I'm such a newbie.

As an old mechanic for the company I once worked for would always say " they all do that".  No harm done. ;)

Don_P

I had the camera, vise, channel locks and some fasteners down in the shop the other day. This shows the lack of ductility in the drywall and deck screws.

rick91351

Due to the heated screw vs nail debate from last year I refuse to even start to read this thread.  LOL   ;)

By the way nails rule.........  There I feel better.  Got that off my chest.  Hanging up for now----bye......
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Just like everything else there is place for uses of screws vs nails.  Shear is not the place.  But for subfloor I would rather use a deck screw w/adhesive rather than ring shank nails.  There is less chance for the screws to work loose and create a noisy floor.

Don_P

I felt like trouble when I saw it come up again. It occurred to me in the shop the other day to bend a few and see if a visual would help make the point. The deck and drywall screws were miserable in bending, the black structural screw took much more force and finally broke after a good deal more bending than the wrong screws. The nail bends easily by comparison to the structural screw but doesn't break, no sudden failures. If you're going to use screws for structural work it's this type rather than deck or drywall screws.

MountainDon

Pictures are vivid illustrations of what we've tried to get across with words.  :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

Quote from: Don_P on February 12, 2013, 08:31:49 PM
I had the camera, vise, channel locks and some fasteners down in the shop the other day. This shows the lack of ductility in the drywall and deck screws.

You did that by hand with a set of pliers?  Interesting.

Don_P

Yes, I clamped them in the vise leaving 1.5" exposed above the vise. Leaving enough gap above the vise to not bind I grabbed the screw with a pair of channellocks and pulled. The deck screws were one hand and little pressure, and went "tink" with no real warning. I managed to not break 2 of those but you could finish them easily in your fingers. The black structural screw was a 2 handed grunt with lots of distortion before failing. I was actually wondering if I was going to pull the vise up first.

FutureBumpkin

Don_P, thanks for that great visual demonstration.  A picture being worth a thousand words and all.  Good stuff.