24 x 32 on Tug Hill NY

Started by nysono, June 27, 2011, 09:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

Many hands make light work, as they say. Reminds me of a video I saw of an Amish barn raising. Must have been 40 people on the equivalent of several bucket brigades. At the end of the day they had a working barnhouse and silo. I don't think I even know 40 people. Maybe a sign would help... "Help needed. All you can drink cold beer".  :)

Lookin' great, sono, keep the photos coming! 

Tickhill

Why not have block layers create a "safe" room, 10' X 16' and move a gun safe before the blocks are finished, then pour solid conrete top. The door opening is smaller than the safe is so once the safe is in there, that is it, it can't be removed short of tearing down the block door opening. It gives a family a "safe" room that is protected from just about anything. A steel fire door that opens in to the room would keep you from getting blocked in.  Just an idea while your still pouring concrete. Tickhill
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

h0rizon

Awesome work sono (and friends), I think you would all make great masons if you had to  :)

Just curious, did you look at drystacking? 

If you don't mind sharing at some point, running total of costs to date would be appreciated ;D  No rush though!
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy

nysono

Quote from: Tickhill on July 12, 2011, 11:22:16 AM
Why not have block layers create a "safe" room, 10' X 16' and move a gun safe before the blocks are finished, then pour solid conrete top. The door opening is smaller than the safe is so once the safe is in there, that is it, it can't be removed short of tearing down the block door opening. It gives a family a "safe" room that is protected from just about anything. A steel fire door that opens in to the room would keep you from getting blocked in.  Just an idea while your still pouring concrete. Tickhill

I think Ive had enough concrete work for a while, besides that I want to build this without going into debt.

nysono

Quote from: h0rizon on July 12, 2011, 11:39:26 AM
Awesome work sono (and friends), I think you would all make great masons if you had to  :)

Just curious, did you look at drystacking?  

If you don't mind sharing at some point, running total of costs to date would be appreciated ;D  No rush though!

Thanks for the compliment......It is good to have a professional mason in the family to help.  I did not consider dry stacking based on the professional's recommendation.  Im quite confident this basement will last more than one lifetime.

Costs to day are:

Excavation (including stump/old camp removal and spreading dirt out of basement to low areas) $1500

blocks $1500, mortar/sand $350, concrete (20 yrds total) $2000, rebar/french drain $200.  Total +/- $5550

Tickhill

I would at least put a water/snow shield membrane on exterior of basement wall. Tar is good but the shield will be alot better and once you start backfilling, its too late without alot of extra work. I did the tar and 6 mil plastic and I wish I had done the membrane.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

nysono

Quote from: Tickhill on July 13, 2011, 03:40:55 AM
I would at least put a water/snow shield membrane on exterior of basement wall. Tar is good but the shield will be alot better and once you start backfilling, its too late without alot of extra work. I did the tar and 6 mil plastic and I wish I had done the membrane.

With the parging 1/4 to 3/8ths thick along with the fiber reinforced sealer I dont think there will be a problem with moisture especially with the camp being on a hill with grade sloped all around.  If I were building on flat ground I definately consider the membrane as additional insurance.

Turkeyhunter

looks great---did you find treasures in the old camp when you tore it down???? cool old camp as well.

nysono

Quote from: Turkeyhunter on July 13, 2011, 10:08:15 AM
looks great---did you find treasures in the old camp when you tore it down???? cool old camp as well.

The old camp was picked over pretty well by the previous owners.  I did salvage the copper and gas lights and a few other things but not much.  We did find an old Arm and Hammer baking soda CAN un opened... pretty cool the see the tin box instead of the cardboard, ill try to get a pic and drop in here

independentjim

looks awesome..where on tug hill are you? we bought some land in west turin last year and are just starting too....

nysono

Quote from: independentjim on July 13, 2011, 04:55:37 PM
looks awesome..where on tug hill are you? we bought some land in west turin last year and are just starting too....

Barnes Corners area

Sassy

I've done a lot of stucco, would not like to do that for a living & also wouldn't like to be a mason  :-\  Nice work!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

RGillispie

Thanks so much for your posts. I'm getting ready to break ground in the next few weeks on a 24X36 1 1/2 story with a walkout basement next week. Located in South West Virginia. Very rocky area. I have someone that is doing the exavation and footers for $1,500.00 unless he has to use the hammer.
Your posts contain great information and of course photos are worth a more than sometimes words can convey.  Please continue and thanks again for this thread. If you have any suggestions feel free to touch bases. [cool]

Richard

nysono

Well a great weekend if you can stand the heat.  We did get quite a bit accomplished I think. 

poured floor.

floor joists and center beam coming in

unloaded

nysono

sill plate going on

walkout wall being framed

center beam (doubled 1 3/4 x 11 7/8) and first joist going in

almost done with joists

1st sheet of flooring

nysono

floor on...no I didnt do a jig I was exhausted!!!!!  I did think about it though.

framing started...didnt dare put sheeting on without trusses going on soon.  Besides a 12 x 12 section of wall fully sheeted was more than our crew could have handled safely I think

3 walls down one to go

final wall going up....

nysono

Im very happy with the progress this weekend but man am I beat, gotta go back to work to rest up!!  3 more good days and we should have a roof over our head.  Unfortunately it has to wait for a few weeks now.

nysono

Quote from: RGillispie on July 16, 2011, 12:45:10 PM
Thanks so much for your posts. I'm getting ready to break ground in the next few weeks on a 24X36 1 1/2 story with a walkout basement next week. Located in South West Virginia. Very rocky area. I have someone that is doing the exavation and footers for $1,500.00 unless he has to use the hammer.
Your posts contain great information and of course photos are worth a more than sometimes words can convey.  Please continue and thanks again for this thread. If you have any suggestions feel free to touch bases. [cool]

Richard

Glad to help anywhere I can, if you have any questions just ask, I may not know the answer but have a few connections that are helping me a ton.  Plus everyone on here has been a great help for me too.

AdironDoc

Wow! Looks great! I was up in Herkimer working too. Very hot! Had to jump in the creek more than once. Thankfully, the nights were cool and I found myself using a blanket. At this rate, you'll be done in no time. Good to have a crew too. Keep those photos coming :)

Doc

OzarkBrandon

I'm sure enjoying watching your progress from the comfort of my air conditioned home!  Amazing job, keep it up - it looks like you and your crew are doing a hell of a job.

nysono

got a little more done this week.  Backfilled after work this past week.  Had friends and family up today and got some of the sheeting on and basement doors in.  Here are some pics:

sheeting started

back wall

It helps to have friends with the right equipment

nysono

This is the end of the day today

HoustonDave

That's some great progress!

I'm gonna show my ignorance here, though, and ask what's up with the grid pattern on the sheathing?
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

nysono

nail lines from manufacturer

nysono

Its been a slow week for building and I have to work again this weekend but off all next week.  the plan is to get the reaminder of the blocks parged and sponge sand finished, get loft built and floor on before setting trusses and sheeting next weekend, might be overly aggressive but gotta have a goal to shoot for right?