Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I know how you feel about the low pay jobs.  I quit taking them for the most part too.  If I can't make a bit of a profit then there's no use working.  I'm a whore but I'm not a cheap whore. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

What is it you do again Scott?  Sparky?  Nice panel BTW, nice and clean. 

I agree about the low paying jobs, its tough to work for free.  I'm finishing up on my first furniture commission, the wife cracked me the other day, "what are you making, about $3 an hour?".  Probably true, but it is for a friend who is quite special, wanna give him something he can't afford, and can pass on to his baby when grown up.  In low paying situations, I find that the employer expects lower quality as well, I just can't do that, so they get upset, and I am upset for not making anything...it's a vicious cycle!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

The ones I have a problem with is the ones who want to pay low for top quality.  I'll work at home, thank you. [crz]

When the ones that will pay good realize they need me worse than I need them, I have no trouble getting what I want. [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

I do plumbing and HVAC mostly. I had a contractor try to get me to lower my price to a point I would only have made about $8 an hour. I told him no thanks. This is a guy I've done work for years. I haven't started a new house since september. BTW the contractor that got the work uses 100% Mexican labor.

glenn kangiser

My cousin says he can hardly compete with the Mexican workforce and he is in North central Oregon.

I have nothing personally against the Mexican workers but I think it would be better for our economy if the illegal ones worked in Mexico.  Actually all the illegals who don't have a permit to work here.

Jens

I think it would be better if the greedy white man weren't trying to screw everyone, from the labor force, to the supply companies, to the subs, to the buyer of that new cracker jacks box house they are building.  If only there were more pride, respect, morals, and Biblical commands out there...being used I mean.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

I don't have anything against them either really. They are just trying to survive. Problem is they break all the rules I have to follow. No licences, no insurance, no quality. I don't see how anyone can expect skilled workers to work for minimum wage. It's a sign of the time I guess. They'll go after the white collar jobs next you watch.

Redoverfarm

Glenn that is because of your warm weather.  We had some nearby but when it got really cold they seem to disappear.  I guess the work force has downsized and there were not as many jobs available as there once was either.  That don't have to travel as far either. ;)

glenn kangiser

Some of them use antifreeze.... [waiting]

ScottA

I could use some antifreeze.  c*

Terry

ohhh, the cabin looks so pretty with the ice. Is that snow or ice on the ground? We have freezing rain here and they're talking it might ice and snow tonight if the temp drops.
Be sure and post lots of pics when you start the plumbing. I learn best from pics.  :)
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

ScottA

Ice and sleet for about 24 hours straight now. It's still sleeting.

Jens

The place looks so good Scott.  I really like the dutch gable.  You forgot some siding on the front there.

ScottA

QuoteYou forgot some siding on the front there.

I'll get right on that. Soon as the Ice melts.  :P

diyfrank

Thats a great picture!

Scott I really like your design.
  I would like to be able to do something similar, but then I would feel Like I stole Your work.
I'll keep an eye on your progress.
Home is where you make it

hnash53

ScottA,

Great story on your house!!

I am wondering, while you were building before you got the roof on, did you cover the cabin from the rain?

If not, did the water on the OSB floor do any damage?  Is that what the sealer is for?

When I built my cabin here in Wyoming (where it rains MUCH less than in OK), the little rain we did get did cause some damage to the OSB flooring.

Also, did you insulate the floor before putting on the OSB?  (Maybe that was in your story but I've forgotten after reading 21 pages!).

Thanks.
Hal

considerations

Too bad that icing didn't happen at Xmas, you would not need decorations.  Beautiful.

ScottA

Hi Hal. No I didn't cover anything while I was building and as luck would have it we also had one of the wetest winters ever last year. It rained about every 3-4 days. The OSB floor started showing some edge swelling after about 2 months. The sealer was my wifes idea. I'm not sure how much it helped but the swelling didn't get any worse after that. But it worked out OK. The damage was nominal and didn't hurt anything so far as I can tell. I spent about 4 hours with a sander and its good as new again. Insulating the floor will be one of the last things I do. I'm still arguing with myself over the best way to do this. Often when I'm not sure of something I'll put it off for a while so I can think it over.  

considerations

"Insulating the floor will be one of the last things I do. I'm still arguing with myself over the best way to do this."

1) Take Aleave/Tylenol/asprin ahead of time.
2) Do it in segments, like 2 hours a day, several times.
3) Send everyone away so what comes out of your mouth doesn't upset people.

Any way you slice it, it's a PITA.   >:(

glenn kangiser

Quote3) Send everyone away so what comes out of your mouth doesn't upset people.

You drove a truck-- you have a license.

If their ears and minds are that tender they are likely not going to survive in the wild anyway.  Let's weed them out.  :)

ScottA

Framing with a hammer has the same hazard. One miss and smashed finger and suddenly it sounds like a navy yard.

ScottA

Quick update.

As usual I managed to get side tracked the past few weeks. All the material for the DWV plumbing is on site and all the holes are drilled. I also picked up the wall cabinet for the tankless water heater so you guys will be able to see how an in the wall install works soon I hope. I'll be working on this over the next few days. I started on the sofits. I was working on the cieling for the veranda today. I got the insulation in the loft floor so I'm all itchy now. The wood for that is varnished and will be going up tomorrow. Things should be moving much faster now since I'm going full time on the cabin for a while. Atleast untill we start my brothers cabin. The wife has set the completion date as 12/09 or sooner. I'll try to remember to get some pics as I go.  d*

Terry

Good, glad to hear you're back working on the cabin. Anxiously waiting for those pictures.  :)
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

glenn kangiser

Good to hear, Scott.  I assume you can handle the plumbing OK? :)

Jens

There you go assuming again Glenn