Stihl Chainsaw

Started by ChuckinVa, December 12, 2010, 05:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckinVa

I am hoping to get a new chain saw for Christmas. I have been looking at the MS290 which the literature says is the most popular selling model. I want an 18" bar minimum and to go up to a 20" bar later would be a nice. Does anyone own this saw and if so would you buy it again and if not, why not?

Also, does Stihl have factory set pricing? What I have noticed is the dealers have the same price listed as the Stihl website.

Thanks,
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

dug

I don't own a 290 but have heard good things about them (I have a 260).  I would think it would do better with a 18 in. bar, but I  am sure you could use a 20 in. as well.

I did find out that Stihl has factory pricing but I asked if I could get a few extra chains and a couple of files with the deal and they complied. Supposedly they have new (improved) caps now, I would ask about that because they are the one thing I have had trouble with on mine.

Don_P

I've got an older 034 which I've been happy with. It went down this summer and I used the homeowners 026... 260 with both 18 and 20" bars. Although I was used to more power I did like the weight. I'm glad to hear they've improved the lid over the air filter if that is the part you are referring to dug. The lid on that one was just a friction fit and I had trouble keeping it on. If the gas and oil caps are what you are referring to I've learned not to use a screwdriver on them unless and until the o rings start to fail, hand tighten them as long as possible.

(I have the dealer parts cd around here somewhere that a friend gave me. I've never really explored it, if you guys ever have a need pm me)

glenn kangiser

I have several Stihls.  026 044 046.

All older and other than use items and things that deteriorate with age which are to be expected,  I am happy with them.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cmsilvay

Used to be in the bussiness and I swear by Stihl. Was out of it for a while but a few years ago bought myself a ms290 farm boss. I have a 16,18,20 inch bars. The 18 was a mistake bought wrong size chains so I bought a bar to go with them(thats my story honey and I am sticking to it) This is my primary saw some times it will be used day after day other times it will sit for months only to be dragged out to cut a PITA limb. Either way it starts right up. One thing to consider is dealer support. We have a great dealer in this area along with  other ace stores in the area that carry Stihl. One thing I do suggest is to stick with thier cycle mix for warranty purposes.

Windpower

Stihl is great IMO

my dad was a pro he swore by Homelite (this was 45 years ago his favorite was the 7-21 )

I always say if there had been Stihls back then he might stihl be alive

my 026 is as good as it gets

I don't even want to talk about the 192 that got stolen from my garage....
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

325ABN

mldrenen

290 here with a 20" bar.  haven't put it through more than a couple tanks of fuel so far, but i'm happy with it. 

Don_P

Ah, the 044, I used to have one and our present homeowner has one, he calls it the "vibromax". I had forgotten the feeling of pre anti vibe and no chain brake till I used his. Those are a couple of innovations I am very grateful for!

I agree with dealer support especially in a rural area. My old dealer retired and I went to the next one down the list... and I do mean down the list  >:(. Had my saw for a couple of months when I really needed it and then I had a friend fix it after it laid down again within a month. Buy from someone with a good rep for service. We do have a new dealer in the next town over, he'll get it next time it needs service.

My 032 was a great saw, had to back over it to kill it  :-[

Arky217

I've had a MS290 for about 8 or 9 years now.
It has an 18" bar. After doing a muffler mod, it can nearly pull the full 18" in softwood, but not quite so in hardwood. Muffler mod does make a big difference.
Suggest using a 35 or 40 to 1 mix ratio rather than the 50:1. It might save your saw if you're not real keen on the carb adjustments and you start letting it run on the lean side.
I think 16" would be a better choice for the bar on this model.
Mine has always taken 5 or 6 pulls to start when cold.
Good homeowner saw, IMO, but not my first choice if I were using it every day.

Arky

ChuckinVa

Thanks for all of the replys. Some have me thinking I should look at something with a little more HP if I want to cut larger hardwoods and want at least a 18" bar. So I'll ask another question. in the 18 and 20" Bar, what saw would you choose for cutting Hardwoods? This is not an every day job, but If I invest this much money in it I want the saw to last for many years.
ChuckinVa

Jeff922

I have a MS 290 and have used it hard for about 6-7 years.  It's a great saw (I had a bad experience with a cheap Poulan).  The only problem I had was with a faulty gas line - no big deal.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

JRR

My dealer strongly discourages me from using bar-lengths not recommended with a particular motor.  Your planned bar may be OK ... just beware.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: ChuckinVa on December 13, 2010, 06:46:36 AM
Thanks for all of the replys. Some have me thinking I should look at something with a little more HP if I want to cut larger hardwoods and want at least a 18" bar. So I'll ask another question. in the 18 and 20" Bar, what saw would you choose for cutting Hardwoods? This is not an every day job, but If I invest this much money in it I want the saw to last for many years.

Older saws but - My 026 is OK but a little small for some of the Oak.  I prefer my 044 with a 25 inch bar and chisel chain with the teeth sharpened at 15 degrees across.  Watch your forehead with that setup though.... [ouch]

It can really kick back in some conditions..... none of those sissy consumer homeowner safety chains for me.... [waiting]

Yeah - I have had a pair of pants with a chain skid mark across the leg..... be careful... [scared]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

That is something worth considering as well. The longer the bar and the more power the stronger the lever that you are trying to control in a kickback. Chain type and the filing of cutter and raker plays a big role in how easy it is to control. But, a short bar does mean the nose is buried more often  :-\.

It has always made me think when folks look at some of my skillsaws and comment on how dangerous they must be and then they go cut firewood. A chainsaw has got to be the most dangerous saw ever made.

ChuckinVa

If you look at the price point Stihl has it set up so that the MS290 is more attractive than the 280.270 or 260. I had one dealer tell me the MS250 with the 16" bar would do everything I need. He said that the 3 LBS difference in the saw would make it more comfortable to cut with and it is 50 dollars less expensive. It looks like the 290 with the 16" bar may be a good starting place and then maybe move up to the 18" or 20" later if I need to. I appreciate all of the comments. Sounds like I can't go wrong with the brand even if I pick the wrong saw!
ChuckinVa

dug

QuoteHe said that the 3 LBS difference in the saw would make it more comfortable to cut with and it is 50 dollars less expensive.

That's why I went with the 260. Pricey, but I guess I'm getting a little soft as I age and over 2 or 3 hours that 3 pounds does make a difference, especially when pruning, which is where I get the bulk of my wood. I agree that you can't go too far wrong- enjoy!   ;D

Don P- the caps I was talking about are the fuel and oil, which are the plastic "flip caps". I never really had a problem with them until I lent the saw to a friend, after which they never quite worked right.  [waiting]

Mine has a screw on air filter.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Don_P on December 13, 2010, 07:23:20 PM
That is something worth considering as well. The longer the bar and the more power the stronger the lever that you are trying to control in a kickback. Chain type and the filing of cutter and raker plays a big role in how easy it is to control. But, a short bar does mean the nose is buried more often  :-\.

It has always made me think when folks look at some of my skillsaws and comment on how dangerous they must be and then they go cut firewood. A chainsaw has got to be the most dangerous saw ever made.

They can be dangerous.  I just love the speed of cutting that dangerous sharpening and no safety chain provide though. 

It does keep you on your toes to stay safe though ... or possibly you would be on them if you did not stay safe........ [ouch]

phalynx

I have the 361 and have owned it for 2 years.  It is a pure joy compared to other "chainsaws".  It slices through the oak here like a hot knife through butter.  Its the first chainsaw I have owned that I don't have to push down on to cut.  It just digs in a goes.  It doesn't bog down unless you press hard but then it will slice through 18" in about 10-15 seconds.

Don_P

Y'all have seen the video of the chevy 350 chainsaw?  ;D

muldoon

I have two stihls.

a 028 av woodboss with a 20" bar.  It's heavy, it runs like an ape.  It's a late 90s model, I bought it from a landscaper that went out of business in 2008 for next to nothing.  Had to do some minor work on it, switch, carb clean, replace fuel line, filter.  Cuts anything I throw at it, heavy. 

a ms 190 I bought from a lady in my neighborhood off craigslist.  (searching the neighborhood name finds lots neat things).  It was 1 year old, she had the receipt.  still smelled like new plastic.  I think she said she bought it to trim a tree in the backyard.  It has an 16" bar on it.  Lightweight, strong.

both are damn good saws.  the newer one does not have the tuning controls for hi-lo carb tuning.  (damn epa).  the older one is heavy and wears me out after a few hours.  I use the ms190 for 80% of cutting now and use the big saw when I need. 

The lesson I learned was to get the right sized saw.  It sounds important to get a big saw ... and then your arms are tired and your back is sore, and thats where people make mistakes and get into dangerous situations with a saw.  You have to keep your head about you and keep focus on the task.  For me the larger saw takes focus away and it is specifically the reason why I usually reach for the smaller one. 

MountainDon

Quote from: Don_P on December 14, 2010, 09:53:41 PM
Y'all have seen the video of the chevy 350 chainsaw?  ;D

I recall one with an aluminum block Buick V6.  Like muldoon says, the big iron tires you too much.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ChuckinVa

I found a dealer who has a 361 with a 20inch Bar, which has been replaced by the 362. It is lighter than the ms290 and they sold it and the purchaser used it and did not like the power ( over powered for what they wanted ) so they took it back and are selling with the warranty for $540.00 which is about $100.00 less than a new 362 would cost. Sounds like a good deal perhaps but about $150.00 more than I wanted to spend. So now I have to decide what to do. I have a friend who says they have 2 of the MS 290 and they have not been satisfied because they bog down in a large log and the clutch slips. They use the 361 exclusively and have had no issues with it. I wish they had demo days where you could try them in a real setting to see what was what.
ChuckinVa

Don_P

That saw is used, the dealer should have no problem with you giving it a whirl. My old dealer had a log pile out back and I did try it before I bought. I can see one perhaps not wanting a new saw run, although I could have tried every demo model in the shop if I had wanted to.

MD, found it, not sure its a 350, ???. Those boys just ain't right  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAI7-Qa2Io&NR=1

phalynx

Too much power, hahahahahaha.   ???  Seriously, I'd look hard at the 361.  It will last you.