Harbor Freight Tools

Started by APG, December 01, 2006, 01:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APG

This is my first post.  Hope it's in the right place.

Ok, I have a confession.  I love going to Harbor Freight Tools  to browse. Their store is always neat.  The sales people are helpful and willing to help you. :)  I think their customer service is surperb.  Hardly ever see any high schoolers working there.   These are pluses for me.  

Here's my question:  Is there quality OK for the little guy.  I see lots of people buying from them and they have almost 250 stores.  They gotta be ok. We trying to gather our tools now - planning on breaking ground in the spring.  We need all the standard stuff (generator, air-compresser, nailers, ladders, hand power tools)  You get the idea.

Thanks

desdawg

I have a number of HF tools and I think they are OK for the occassional user. They are not, for the most part, pro grade, use every day all day, make your living with tools. For homeowner grade tools they do just fine. They do carry some name brand tools if you want to spend more i.e Campbell Hausefield compressors. Or you can get their store brand for considerably less. I consider these throw away tools. If something goes wrong it is usually more cost effective to go get another.

glenn-k

I agree with desdawg on most of this.  To their credit, some of their tools are superior to name brands.  They have a set of sockets and wrenches in a blow molded box 4 layers deep - good quality tools and there is not an equivalent anywhere that I know of that will equal this.  $149 I think and I looked for months.  The wrenches don't go real big but they are not the most important item.  Everything else you can imagine is covered.

Another think is their air impacts -few will touch the earthquake guns.

As desdawg says - use these to get started then if you find you are wearing some out, replace them with higher quality tools but also remember that most Harbor Freight tools are guaranteed for a year.

It beats taking out a second mortgage for tools when you are trying to get started.

bil2054

I agree with what the other guys say.  I have been buying and using thier tools for a few years.
To some degree, you want to be careful about them; I don't like the cheaper drill bits for example.  I have been using my framing nailer and pancake compressor pretty hard, though, and they are great!

FarmerChad

I agree, Harbor Freight is hard to beat, usually. I shop'em quite often. The only major purchase that I have made from them is the 4 x 8 utility trailer. A great buy for hauling building supplies back and forth.

olypen

This is my first post here too...

I have used their tools for years...Some are good and some are not so good...Most of the hand tools are ok but don't bother with edge tools i.e. planes, chisels etc. ...haven't had such good luck with drill bits and saw blades either...they have been a good source of sanding belts and sandpaper and grinding wheels for me...also some welding supplies like mig wire...a friend of mine, a general contractor, uses their nail guns...buts two or three every time they are on sale.  When they give him trouble he chucks  it...says it's cheaper than higher priced name brand guns.
If you know your tools and know what you are looking for you might do alright.

desdawg

You can order from them on-line at http://www.harborfreight.com/
It has been my experience that if I meet some minimum $ amount shipping is free. We have stores here in AZ but a lot of time the on-line prices are better than the store prices. Go figure. Since they have AZ stores I have to pay sales tax even if I order on-line. Bummer. I hate taxes.

FarmerChad

If you find a cheaper price on their website, print it out, and take it to your local store. They should honor it. I saved $20 on my utility trailer that way.

tibadoe

I agree with Olypen, if you know your tools and do not need the highest quality on some items, you will do OK.  We have both Harbor Freight and Northern Tools in our area and I shop at both.  Northern has a lifetime guarentee on most of their tools so I usually pick them over Harbor Frieght - I just have to weight out the cost verses quality divided by how much I will be using.

desdawg

QuoteIf you find a cheaper price on their website, print it out, and take it to your local store. They should honor it. I saved $20 on my utility trailer that way.
You are absolutely right about that. The one time I discovered that all pricing at HF is not created equal I didn't have a printout with me. It was only $85 difference.  >:( And the store is 30 miles away. But for $85 I made another 60 mile round trip.

Amanda_931

If they're competing directly against the "brick and mortar" guys where you can walk in and thump something before you buy it, the on-line guys are likely to be cheaper.

Sometimes a lot cheaper.  Even if the brick and mortar location is themselves.  e.g., Barnes and Noble on-line vs. Barnes and Noble store.

Down here in the Mid-South we didn't even know that Harbor Freight and Northern Tools had walk into them and fondle the merchandise stores.

:)

glenn-k

Easy there Amanda.  I'm trying to quit.  You've got me lusting after a new metal lathe now.  You may make me have to drive to Fresno and fondle one. :-/

Amanda_931

Just trying to be straight-woman and set you up for that.

glenn-k

Sometimes you really scare me, Amanda. :-/

tjohns01

IMHO Harbor Freight is great for disposable stuff like sandpaper, chip brushes
and stuff like that. They are even okay for really light duty tools.

For tools that you are going to use a lot or require high accuracy my recommendation
is buy high quality and they will last you a lifetime.

The one thing that you never, never want to buy from Harbopr Freight is anything with
a precision cutting edge. This means drill bits, router bits and their more expensive
saw blades.  This stuff is absolutely awful.

Anyway just my two cents,
Tim J

BuckiSchloo

Does anyone have any experience with their wire feed welders? I have an old Lincoln buzz box but would like to get a mig. Unfortunately I only weld a few things a year (currently building a trailer) and can't justify $600+ for another welder. On the other hand I don't want to fork out $300 and have it only work a few times.

I appreciate reading the feedback about the air tools, I too was curious how they hold up. I am happy with my porter cable stuff but occasionally see a certain type of nailer that would be nice to have for the occasional use.

glenn-k

I assume you mean 110v mig.  I use Millers in my business - they are bad enough but I still consider them the best.  We use NR211MP flux core wire - no gas needed and available at Home Depot- etc.  Flux core is more trouble (actually only at times, usually when spatter gets in the tip)  running but you don't need the gas bottle and it works better in outside conditions.  Keep the tip clean is the key to smooth running with it.

I won't even buy a Lincoln which has the name but their 110v wire feeder is very lacking.  Doesn't weld well on a long extension cord - Miller does great but is twice as heavy.  Lincoln has a plastic motor drive housing which will break if overly stressed.

That said I know your point about not spending big bucks for occasional use.  I would look for a metal motor housing if possible or be careful.  Hopefully a replaceable liner (wire guide tube).  Check out the return policy and guarantee and try it well before deciding it will continue to be satisfactory for you.  Spending half as much for a welder that doesn't work well is almost as bad as not having one.

Note that I do like the Lincoln LN25 wire feeder for big commercial work but it is not a stand alone unit - it attaches to a power source.

MountainDon

We have a nearby Harbor Freight store, though I buy mostly online from them. Free shipping on most things when total over $50 I think it is. I've had no problems (or problems expected and acceptable for the dollars spent). I don't know how good/bad their welders are, but I've used a lot of their plain MIG wire (use with argon/CO2 mix) as well as their flux core. Never bought any saw blades except jig/sabre saw blades; they've been ok. drill bits don't seem to be worth the trouble when used for much metalwork.

desdawg

Drill bits are a strange item. Even the more expensive ones don't last as long as I think they should. And I have never found a good cost effective sharpener for bits, at least not yet. On the other hand I hate throwing things away. It is one problem I have never solved.

glenn-k

Drill Doctor does pretty good - the more expensive one even does split points.  I bought one when we had to drill about 3000 holes on a job.

http://www.drilldoctorstore.us/drilshar.html

MountainDon

QuoteDrill Doctor does pretty good - the more expensive one even does split points.  I bought one when we had to drill about 3000 holes on a job.

http://www.drilldoctorstore.us/drilshar.html

Glenn, this is just what I need right now! Let me ask a question... Their website states the  750X and the 400PK go up to 3/4" with the 400 stating the chuck is optional (the 500X also states the 3/4 chuck is an option. My question is whether or not this is referring to a chuck to hold an actual 3/4" dia shaft or refers to something about being able to hold a larger than 1/2" drill bit for sharpening?? I have several bits from 9/16" thru 3/4" that need some quality sharpening and I was just about getting ready to start looking for a sharpener. I struggle sharpening them with my grinder... sometimes I get acceptable results. Other times it's like I ran the bit thru a dullener rather than a sharpener. (I should have already done it but it's one of many things that slipped my mind.) So, if you know, thanks.....

Which model do you have?

glenn-k

Here is the one I have

DD400 Pro Kit
110 volt only

The 400 Pro Kit combines our DD400 sharpener with a heavy duty carrying case, making it easy and convenient to carry your DD400 wherever you go.

The DD400 is designed for the serious drill bit user, both professional and active "do-it-yourselfers." It sharpens bits from 3/32" to 3/4" (ships with a 3/32" - 1/2" drill bit chuck; a 1/2" - 3/4" chuck is available as an accessory), as well as creating and restoring split points.

The powerful 1.75 amp motor drives a user-replaceable 180 grit diamond sharpening wheel at 20,000 RPM (a 100 grit diamond sharpening wheel is available as an accessory for sharpening larger bits).

I didn't buy the larger optional chuck as I bought it at Home Depot on the job and I think it is a company order item.  

We hand drilled all of those holes - near 3000 and sharpened cobalt bits hundreds of times.  Doing the split point makes the drills drill about 10 times faster and easier.

The larger chuck should hold a straight 3/4 drill for sharpening.  This little machine does a first class job.

Video's here too.  http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=124

FrankInWI

I seen some recent discussion about tools.....Makita, Bosch, etc. etc.  Surpirsed not to see Craftsman discussed.  I've had great luck and great buys with Craftsman.  Anyone else?  

glenn-k

I think Orchard Supply is carrying Craftsman now which is or was a Sears brand.  I don't get by the sears store as much now since I am up in the hills but have had some of their tools for years.  Table saw and wood lathe are a couple of the bigger ones - someone else has the lathe now.

MountainDon

I have an older model circular saw and one of their older drill presses. THe drill press gets a fair amount of use so must be pretty well made; about 25 yrs old now. Replaced a few small parts.

Around here a few select Kmarts also carry the Craftsman tools (as well as Kenmore appliances). That's a relatively new development since Kmart bought Sears.