Newbie Introduction

Started by Adam Roby, June 04, 2013, 06:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

Just a small introduction.  I have been wanting to build a cabin for as long as I can remember, and still have drawings and plans that I made back when I was 18.  I am now 41 and have yet to build an actual cabin.  I have worked on a few with some friends, and have build larger sheds by myself so I know I have the ability to accomplish it, just lacking the funding and time.  I have a 3 year old daughter which takes most of my time, but I can see us possibly working on a cabin together in the future, or at least going up on the weekends when her Mom is working. 

Most of my plans were bigger designs, consisting of perimeter blocks or cement, and this is mostly why I have never even started a build, simply because the ideas got too big and the money was never available.  My new plan is to think small, and to do things in steps.  I plan on purchasing some land within the next 2-3 years, then a couple years later build a small cabin of perhaps 16'x24' (absolute maximum size) with possibly a small loft area.  This will be a post and beam construction to reduce costs, and since I will be building it solely by myself I need to keep things as simply as possible.  I have read quite a few topics here, and will be sure to read much more before I start.  I know many are againt the post/beam but if I want to keep the entire build between 10-15k then I really can't afford any other options. 

So, I know I am far off from building considering I don't even have land yet, but I figure the better prepared I am and the more planning that goes into this the better the overall build will be.  I hope to learn as much as possible here and to eventually share my build with all of you in the coming years.

- Adam

rick91351

Welcome w* w* from Rick and Ellen from Idaho.

It is a good idea to let us know where you all are from so if issues of frost depth, or water issues or - or - or.

Looking forward to see your project take shape.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Hey Adam, you've found the right site.
These guys know what they're doin', and some are doin' it for a living.
Yeah, as Rick, it'd be good to know what part of the country you plan on building.

And, hey, good to know you haven't lost the dream.
We didn't build anything on our place until we paid it off (ten years later).
I know exactly what you're goin' thru.

You'll get yer land.

You'll build.

You'll have the time of yer life.

Can't wait to see yer pics.

Welcome to the joy. w*

Gary O'

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

cholland

Welcome Adam.
You can do it. I've been planning for years. I'm 43 and finally doing it!
Lots of information and resources here, don't be afraid to ask, someone knows or a least has a suggestion.
I considered a 16x24 or so and eventually went 20x32, with a loft. Whatever you do, plan for possible additions.
I'm stick framing mine, using 2x6. Other than standing the walls, you can do almost everything by yourself. A hand always helps, and you should always have a safety plan.
Keep the dream alive.

Bob S.

If I was planning this type of a project I would look into buying land on a contract within a reasonable driving distance. Then I would build a much smaller first structure. I would plan on the first build to be a guest cabin later. This option would get you a weekend getaway and you could build a proper cabin later.
You could use a RV at first and not have a well or septic.

Adam Roby

Wow, thanks for the encouragement and fantastic welcome.  I already feel like home here.

Quote from: Bob S. on June 04, 2013, 08:25:14 PM
...I would build a much smaller first structure...

It's funny that you mention this, because that is now my plan I think.  I was going over the numbers and don't see the real build starting for some years, so as a first step I am considering (perhaps) an A frame type building where 2 sides are actually the roof on a 12x16 base using simple patio blocks.  This can serve as a temporary camp and once the real cabin is up it can convert to a shed or as you mention a "guest house".

I currently live in Montreal Canada, but I plan on building in northern NY state.  The building laws here in Quebec are insanely restrictive.  I am considering either Franklin or Clinton county in NY, to try to keep the travel time to around 1.5 hrs.  At the very least I would like to go up every Saturday for a few hours with my daughter, because my wife works and we have the day together to hang out. 

Here is a quick drawing I did today at lunch hour.

Gary O

Excellent thoughts, IMO. You won't regret going small first.
We did somewhat as you have in mind:

new land owner

Adam

I am currently building in Franklin country NY.  The building inspector couldn't be better to work with.  The big issue in Upstate NY is the APA.  Adirondack Park Agency.  Make sure that whatever land you end up with can be built on.  There are restrictions on the size of lots needed to build in the Park.

Tom

Adam Roby

I will be modifying my plan to add a 4' knee wall at the base of the A frame, and see what cost/benefits there are.  Seems to add some space for moving around at least.  Thanks Gary!

Tom, I haven't spoken to the inspectors yet but I have had a few email exchanges with their admin office for the town of Churubusco (which is the closest town to me) just for kicks.  They seem to give the impression that once you own the land you do what you want with it.  There does not seem to be the same kind of restrictions as back home, minimum square footage to build etc.  I will definitely speak directly to the inspector in charge before buying any land.

The good side is that the land is pretty cheap in some places.  There may be a reason for this... but I can find between 6-10 acres for around $9-10k,  which is pretty decent.  Ultimately I would like to find a stream, brook, or any source of natural water flowing on the property to make the building, cleaning and overall process nicer.  Also gives some entertainment for the youngster. 

new land owner

Alan

Churubusco is above blue in of the APA.  Just search APA blue line and keep that in mind.

Good luck looking forward to following your build.

Tom

Don_P

An A frame, especially up on walls, makes my mind wander to the next step on that path, a cruck frame;
http://www.heartwoodschool.com/cf.html
Notice the A frame buried within to resist thrust.

Adam Roby

Hmmm...  tree house... ideas are starting to fly.   :)

I have started some more detailed plans for an A frame, calculating as many costs as I can to get a good idea of overall price.  Once they are done, is this a good place to post them or is it better not to do it here?

Adam Roby

Alright, I need some advice from all the women on this forum, and any men that have had to go through the same.

My wife does not understand my absolute need for land.  My plan was to slowly save some money (I call it my pillow fund) that she is not aware of, so when I finally find my dream lot in 3-5 years, I can pull out a wad of cash and show that I was able to save and to lower the price.  My wife on the other hand, has been pressing me as of late to start some kind of savings plan (namely the TFSA or Tax-Free-Savings-Account).  Her idea was for me to put away $40 per month, which to me is a joke ($480 per year?).  The other thing is that the interest rates are almost NIL. 

The dilemma... some property has just come to light that is possibly the best parcel I could find ever (have been looking for years).  It is actually a few parcels from the same owner, the 3-4 of which are right up my alley.  Specifically, a 5A lot backing on a 60-100' wide river with excellent fishing, 1/2 wooded 1/2 cleared and the asking price is only $8000.  I have $500 saved in my pillow fund (I just started) and if the land is as nice in person as it is on paper I would offer the owner $7500 cash (he is willing to finance at 8% but my credit line is only 3.5%).  If he agrees, that is only $7000 to pay off.  If I pass on this, it might be another 10 years before I find something as good.

The wife sees this as money spent, rather than money invested.  If I were to start a savings account, putting in $170 per month for 5 years, at best I would have an extra $100 at the end of the 5 year term.  I don't see this as a very sound investment, it is almost as bad as my pillow fund.  If I however purchase $10,000 of land, and take 5 years to pay it off at 3.5% interest (OK, I will have spent more money $1700?) in interest BUT the land will probably be worth more than only 100$ more.  Whether the money is in the bank or in property, it is safe until I need the money.  The land can be sold as easily as taking money from my savings account.  The advantage to me is that I immediately get to use the land, enjoy the land (not have to wait 5 years) it becomes a true savings not a "wishy washy" $40 per month.   

How can I present this to her making it sound logical, and sound like an option that can not be ignored?  I already wrote down a letter explaining my position, but I am afraid it will not be enough.  At the end of the day, it is my money to do with what I please, but I wouldn't want to make any large purchases without her consent. 

Gary O

Check out all aspects of the land, particularly the zoning (OK to build), and comparable prices in that area.
Seems you do a lot of thinking, so I'd imagine you've already done that, so I'd take that letter, and one fine evening present it to her with the gleam that you undoubtedly have in your eyes (like Jodi finding the fawn).

Then stroll out to the porch, and kneel down, with your hands folded, resting on the porch rail, looking to the heavens.
Hold that position until she appears.
How can she object?

However, if she doesn't appear; come inside, and stroll by her (still on yer knees). You might mention that you'll be in the bedroom....praying.
If she doesn't come to bed right away, in, oh say, three hours, poke yer head out the door and holler, 'I'M STIIIILL PRAAAAYING'.
If you come back to the living room and find her knelt beside the piggy bank, you might consider that TFSA....

Wait, you might be being serious..........

Gird yer loins and do what you think is right.
5 or ten acres by yerself can be pretty peaceful

Adam Roby

Quote from: Gary O on June 09, 2013, 06:43:25 PM
Check out all aspects of the land, particularly the zoning (OK to build), and comparable prices in that area.
Seems you do a lot of thinking, so I'd imagine you've already done that, so I'd take that letter, and one fine evening present it to her with the gleam that you undoubtedly have in your eyes (like Jodi finding the fawn).

Then stroll out to the porch, and kneel down, with your hands folded, resting on the porch rail, looking to the heavens.
Hold that position until she appears.
How can she object?

However, if she doesn't appear; come inside, and stroll by her (still on yer knees). You might mention that you'll be in the bedroom....praying.
If she doesn't come to bed right away, in, oh say, three hours, poke yer head out the door and holler, 'I'M STIIIILL PRAAAAYING'.
If you come back to the living room and find her knelt beside the piggy bank, you might consider that TFSA....

Bahahahahah... It's worth a try at this point!

I will first go see the land to make sure it feels right in my gut.  It is only about 1h 20 minute drive from home so would be the perfect location.  If my gut says it's a go, the next step would be to the city to find out what the local laws are concerning building, camping, etc and to find out the exact taxes per year.  Then I would have to speak with the selling agent to know what all the closing costs are, if there is any surveying to be done etc.

Gird yer loins and do what you think is right.
5 or ten acres by yerself can be pretty peaceful

My loins?  You mean those things she promptly stuck in her purse the night of the wedding?  Haven't seen them in a while!  :)