Anyone change there permited cabin during construction?

Started by Willy, January 03, 2008, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Now that I have my permit and plans all approved I was thinking of making a little more space above the kitchen area. This is realy a storage spot but I would like a little more head room. I wonder if the inspector would blow it if I raised the roof up a little couple feet by making a slope change. I would alter the roof line to add a simple rafter area above this loft. Right now the rafters are just straite up from lower outside wall to upper outside wall. I was thinking of breaking up the rafter above a supporting (Bearing wall) and going up some(knee wall) and making a ridge area instead. It would be done to code except for summiting a plan change again. They might not even catch it if they were in a hurry?? I am thinking this may change the Sq Ft of the building and raise my permit fees even more but wondering if I could get away being a dumb home owner and pleading stupitidity?? Mark

MikeT

I have made numerous on-the-fly modifications, aka field changes, and all have passed without a hitch.  Much depends upon the inspector and your relationship with him/her.  My sense is that they do not do too much measuring--rather they look at connections, nailing, etc. 

mt

John_M

My feeling was always to be up front an honest with them.  Since I lived an hour away, I felt like I was the "new guy" in town and wanted to leave a good impression of myself with him.  I always sent him polite letters asking specific questions and he always responded quickly.  I think that this created a trusting impression of myself.

When he came by to sign off on my framing, he didn't even go inside!  He just signed the permit and seemed more interested in small talk.  I really think the impression I left him was that I was an honest hardworking kind of guy who really did things the right way and he never has had any concerns!

So my advice would be to ask him exactly what you asked us.  He'll probably say just go ahead....and if he doesn't and makes you jump through a bunch of hoops, he probably would have called you on it after the fact and made things miserable for you.  Then he might feel like he has to watch you like a hawk!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Willy

Quote from: John_M on January 03, 2008, 12:57:45 PM
My feeling was always to be up front an honest with them.  Since I lived an hour away, I felt like I was the "new guy" in town and wanted to leave a good impression of myself with him.  I always sent him polite letters asking specific questions and he always responded quickly.  I think that this created a trusting impression of myself.

When he came by to sign off on my framing, he didn't even go inside!  He just signed the permit and seemed more interested in small talk.  I really think the impression I left him was that I was an honest hardworking kind of guy who really did things the right way and he never has had any concerns!

So my advice would be to ask him exactly what you asked us.  He'll probably say just go ahead....and if he doesn't and makes you jump through a bunch of hoops, he probably would have called you on it after the fact and made things miserable for you.  Then he might feel like he has to watch you like a hawk!

That seems like such a easy answer and a good one since I have a good relationship with him now. He keeps telling me that is over kill but OK to do and has not complained. Since I up/graded to 2X6 walls from 2X4s and still went 16" on center any extra weight/modifications would be OK in the change. I will think it over but will ask when I go in to pick up the plans and see what he says. Mark

John Raabe

Good advice guys :D

It is always easier for the site inspector to gauge the true potential or problem of a detail or design change. For that reason they are often more flexible than the folks at the plan desk. But bigger changes may have issues that will force it back to the front desk.

For instance, in some jurisdictions changing the building size will change the permit fees. Adding bedrooms may change the septic design, and so on...

Still, the suggestion to run it past the site inspector as soon as possible remains the best advice.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeT

I should clarify my comments.  I have established a good rapport with my inspector, so now I send him an email in advance, asking if my planned next steps are okay.  When he is on site, I usually ask some questions of him about a future inspection, etc.  I have not added square footage to my structure.  I have, however, changed the size of my windows, the location of some interior walls, and so on.  I noted these on my plans, and he seems to be fine with things.

mt