I need some opinions please

Started by peternap, January 21, 2009, 07:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I'm redoing my news site while I have the Flu >:(
There are few more irritable creatures than a Grouchy Old Man who is diabetic and has the flu.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it simple looking and expand the print space. I've also added RSS feeds to several news agencies.

I need to do a lot of housekeeping yet but am interested in others opinions.

Is it to plain.
Can it be read easily.
Does it look anything like professional.
What is YOUR HONEST OPINION. Don't be gentle ;D
http://news.oldva.org/

Thanks
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

Would having pages be better then a long scroll?

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on January 21, 2009, 07:12:18 PM
Would having pages be better then a long scroll?

Good point and one of the housekeeping chores. The posts will be cut off after the first paragraph or so and a "More" icon will be at the end. Clicking on that takes you to the entire story. I just changed the compass story to more.

Is that all????????? ;)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

John_C

Peter,

It is quite plain.  That's is not necessarily a problem, but a few other things.  Keep in mind I'm on a Mac running OS 10.2.8 and Firefox.  It may look different to others

The topic headlines are too big and have too many line breaks.  For Example I have

Old Va now has more
news

That could be on one line. The text following it is very small and could be a darker shade of gray.. or black

Further down the page

VA-ALERT:
Lobby Day a
success!

That is on three lines.  The text that follows is larger than the text in the preceding article, but is still a very light gray.  Unless you are going to put pictures to the right of the text it also has too many line breaks.

Further down the page

GUN
OWNERS GET
THEIR OWN
ENTRANCE TO THE
GENERAL ASSEMBLY
ON LOBBY
DAY

southernsis

In the first part under VA-Alert it might be best to have your links as Hyperlinks. People don't like having to copy or write something in the address bar.

Perhaps not as much space between paragraphs. Close it up some. Make columns.

These were things I saw at first glance.

Keep working on it. I great webpage takes time. I am always twicking mine.
Have fun with it.
Web page designer will tell you to steal shamelessly from other sites, just as long as its not copyrighted.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

MountainDon

I don't like long pages that need lots of scrolling. Headlines and links to a new page are good.

Q: Why is the page set up so narrow?  Most people are using 800x and 1024x wide resolutions. Actually I have checked in over a year, it may be 1024x and larger by now. I do my pages generally so they are viewable on an 800x wide resolution.

I use a 1024x wide setting and the body print comes across a tad small for my eyes.

Yes, it is a little plain, but I also do not like clutter and do-dads for the sake of having do-dads.

FYI, here's a site I've managed for too long to remember http://nmdance.com/index.htm
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

I looked at the code for your page Peter and I'm confused by how some of the CSS commands are being used, especially the <span> command.

Are you building the page in a program called Wordpress?  Are you coding the CSS stylesheets yourself with a text editor?

peternap

Quote from: John C on January 21, 2009, 08:30:32 PM
I looked at the code for your page Peter and I'm confused by how some of the CSS commands are being used, especially the <span> command.

Are you building the page in a program called Wordpress?  Are you coding the CSS stylesheets yourself with a text editor?

No, they are prewritten themes in Wordpress John.
That's part of the problem I'm having...too much tinkering before they were released.

Still working on it.

StinkerBell

I don't see the free chocolate section... ;D

glenn kangiser

If you can get it for free, Stink, it may not be worth getting... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Q

Not so much a complaint or suggestion because I'll in a minority of computer users:)

On my mail laptop an EEE PC 701 the screen resolution is 800X480, this means I have to scroll in every which direction. Not a big deal side to side, but on a screen that small there is a huge amount of up/down scrolling to be done.

But like I said I represent less the .5% of computer users, so don't worry to much.