Trim carpenters

Started by Timberjack, February 25, 2011, 07:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberjack

Need an opinion from some of you trim carpenters.  I used this old barnwood on some of the interior walls in my cabin and I'm wondering if i should have added a piece at the top left corner of this window.  I'm sure its probably just personal preference but wondered if you guys had any ideas about casing windows out like this.  The tin in the corner to the left is a heat shield for a wood stove, spaced from the wall, then concrete backer board, another space, then the tin.

Redoverfarm

I think I see what you are talking about but the picture is really dark for me.  Is it the edge of the tin sheeting?  I have another question first ,that being what are you going to use above the window where the insulation is showing.  What ever you use to cover that edge will most likely have a tranisition at that intersection above the window with the other material. A lot would depend on that area above the window. Using standard thickness of the same barn wood will show in elevation.

glenn kangiser

I lightened the pix a bit.  I'm a bit more of a rustic carpenter - OK - Steel guy... that plays with wood a bit.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn It is partly steel   ;D.  I think it has tin roofing for wainscoating at the bottom.  If he continues this theme above the window I would be inclined to just cover it with a scrap of barnwood planned down or paint the edge of the tin a corresponding color up until he finishes the top portion.   

glenn kangiser

Oh- OK - I hadn't quite figured it out, John.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Timberjack

Thanks for the replys.  You're right- that is tin wainscoating at the bottom, a chair rail, then the barnwood.  Above that will be some 1" cypress.  I just thought the top left corner of the window looked a little unfinished without a piece of barnwood.  May try to make a piece for it this weekend and see how it looks, thanks again.   

Bob S.

It took me awhile to figure out your question. But I agree with you that another barn board would look good on the left side of the window.