Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
General Forum / Re: Can I change the Little House plans to 16x24?
« Last post by Don_P on January 24, 2022, 10:59:47 AM »
It looks like I'm talking to myself. So to continue a conversation with the smartest man I know.
This is a perspective view from my first plan attempt.
timbertoolbox.com/Pat/PatPierFnd.jpg

This is non prescriptive but goes a long way to meeting the intent of the foundation requirements in the code. There is a braced "core" that anchors the building and through the floor diaphragm, the piers that support the rest of the structure. I have built this and it works. I wouldn't do it there there are high winds, seismic, etc. In this particular instance the building official chose to require an engineer if we went that route.

The quick calculus in my head was to think about whether it was smarter to hire the engineer to say I was right. Or, would that cost about the same as putting in a full basement.

Here's what we built;
timbertoolbox.com/Pat/patrick6.18.jpg

and a good bit of the rough framing exposed in this shot
timbertoolbox.com/Pat/patricksframe.jpg
The end rafters are not in yet. count from the right hand rafter going left, you have a good sightline on rafters 3 &4. trace them down to the wall, notice they "stack" directly over the wall studs. You cannot see the 16' floor joists on the main and loft floors but they are also in exactly the same plane as the rafters. Everything "stacks" wood on wood over wood whenever possible.

Ahh, my feet have finally returned, off to the shop.
General Forum / Re: Plans adaptible to vertical log (stockade-style) construction
« Last post by Don_P on January 24, 2022, 05:19:26 AM »
A little 2nd hand knowledge of exactly that, and in that area. An engineer's seal was the path forward, they chose a different direction.  You've obviously got plenty of vertical capacity. Weak in lateral bracing, racking, so that needs to be developed in the design somewhere.
General Forum / Plans adaptible to vertical log (stockade-style) construction
« Last post by PacerX on January 24, 2022, 02:40:45 AM »
I have been researching building with vertical logs on the the internet and was lead here through a pinterest link.

Some background:
We are purchasing 30 acres in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.  25 or so acres are wooded with pine that was replanted in rows decades ago, the other 5 are hardwoods.  The pine trees are tightly spaced but look to me to be easily large enough to build with.

I am trying to find plans to build a vertical log cabin that will pass muster with a building inspection.  Something around 800-1000 square feet.  The plan would be to use logs harvested from the property.  I am hoping the folks here can help point me in the right direction.

Help!  and thank you!
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by Adam Roby on January 23, 2022, 06:36:29 PM »
+1 liked.

That would make a beautiful electric guitar. 
General Forum / Re: Dog damage to wooden door
« Last post by Adam Roby on January 23, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
I have not been impressed recently with the quality of metal traps sold at the big box stores, most of the time I just go with the PVC ones assuming it's in a place that isn't visible. They too are thing, but I find they hold up and seal better than the tinfoil ones.

I would have preferred replacing it all with PVC, but I wasn't sure how to marry it all together.  All the PVC that was there was glued so much it could not be removed without a saw, and there was no room to cut and then reattach anything without opening up a wall.  I may remove it all and do it over come spring, see how well the silicone is holding up.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on January 23, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
Version 2.7.0 - 01.23.2022
- Enabled custom materials for cavity insulation.

This update was per customer request.
General Forum / Re: Can I change the Little House plans to 16x24?
« Last post by Don_P on January 23, 2022, 03:57:54 AM »
This is non prescriptive but is using methods that I believe an engineer could seal if the building inspector required it. The posts rise from large piers (overturn resistant wide). The posts rise, unbroken from pier to top wall plate. The wall sheathing provides bracing for the posts. This is "post frame construction". At 16' wide you can make it with 2x12 joists and no mid girder or piers. That can be done either way, weigh foundation costs vs bigger framing costs.

Hmm, image isn't posting for me, this is where I've put the file;
http://timbertoolbox.com/cp/16x24postframe.jpg

Saw another pic while filing that. This is a 16x28 we built a couple of years ago. We sawed all the framing, floor and roof sheathing and siding for this job. It is on a full basement which put the washer/dryer, water heater, heater, etc down there.
http://timbertoolbox.com/cp/PatSE.jpg
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on January 22, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Version 2.6.9 - 01.22.2022
- Added an additional layer for furring into the Layers tab of the Global Settings.
- Fixed a bug with Door tab (HTML) of the Global Settings.

!!!! Critical Fix !!!!
The HTML file of the Door tab of the Global Settings was updated back in October (Version 2.4.9).  However at that time it appears that this updated version of the file somehow did not make it into the compiled codebase.  I just discovered this today and have moved the file into the correct location and released this latest update which corrects this oversight.  My apologies that this bug was introduced in the first place but it pains me further that it took until now to actually discover it.  Please upgrade to this latest version to resolve this issue.
General Forum / Re: Buildings under 200 sf
« Last post by Natalie on January 21, 2022, 03:26:14 PM »
Would the SketchUp link for Bart's Shack still be available? The link from 2009 doesn't work anymore.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by OlJarhead on January 21, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »
Ended up making a set of chains out of two others.  Had four ice chains for the old jeep and now have two for the new one.  Basically just cut the old chains and spliced in a section from one of the spares to make them longer.  They are a tad narrow but still wrap over all the tread and slightly down the side.  As long as I don' go crazy and they are tight I think it will be fine and I'll try them out this Sunday when I head up there.

Meanwhile, for those who've seen my sawmill, I milled up a nice black walnut this week and it was amazing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10