7/16 wafer board for roofing?

Started by Jared, December 16, 2005, 08:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

I'm looking at a home package from Sutherland's lumber and it specifies 7/16" wafer board for the roof decking. What do you think of this? Doesn't wafer board seperate really bad if it gets wet? Also, it doesn't use plywood sheathing, only bracing, asphalt paper and hardboard siding. Is this still a good choice, or is plywood better? Thanks.
Jared

peg_688

Jared   Pg 2. This forum.      1/2 plywood vs. 7/16 OSB sheathing . Posted by pioneergal .  For a start , PEG ;)

Jens

For generations, houses didn't have sheathing in the walls, but were simply braced with let-in 1x4's.  For the reletively small extra cost, I would recommend sheathing with min7/16 OSB.  Plywood can be really nice, as it can be used for the shear/sheathing, and painted.  When battens are installed over it, this becomes the cheapest sheathing/siding package.  See the photos of the first Victoria's cottage for an example.  Right now ot my local Home Depot, 1/2" plywood is about $14 a sheet.  If you I were going to go single wall though, I think I would go with 3/4".  No particular reason, other than the basic rule of amatuer engineering, build it twice as strong as you think it needs to be, and it will usually end up just about right.  PEG, maybe you have a comment on shear/siding route, and thickness?  All of the jobs I have worked on usually have 7/16 OSB, or 1/2 ply.  The big custom homes have 3/4 ply on the walls and roof.  Oh yeah, if you are going 7/16 OSB on the roof sheathing, check local codes.  You may be required to run 16" centers, or at the very least, plywood clips in the bays.  A plywood clip holds mating sheets in the same plane between the rafters, and decreases the chance of material failing at the seams.  Once properly roofed, OSB should last just fine.  Don't use it on exposed eaves, run CDX ply there, the moisture in the air will eat up the OSB
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

keyholefarmhouse

7/16 OSB is on sale at our local Menards.  Is $9.68 a 4x8 sheet much of a sale?

pioneergal

Quote7/16 OSB is on sale at our local Menards.  Is $9.68 a 4x8 sheet much of a sale?

Our local Home Depot and Lowes had it last week for $9.99. I don't know if the price has changed or not this week.