3/4 ply that isn't T&G for subfloor

Started by dablack, July 17, 2012, 10:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

In my build, I'm using attic trusses that are giving me a 19' wide room upstairs.  I'm hoping to use the plywood with a coat of poly for the finished floor for as long as possible.  Most of the plywood that I'm looking at, that has an adiquate finish isn't tongue and groove. 

Does anyone think that is going to be a problem or cause too much movement on the 2' spacing of the attic trusses?

thanks
Austin

CjAl

put blocking between the trusses there the edges of the plywood end so you can glue and nail them around the whole perimiter

dablack

All that blocking would be a ton more work and more wood.  I've been working with the wife on this.  I'm trying to get her good with the rougher plywood that is T&G.  I'm hoping I can throw a couple of coats of poly on it and it won't be too bad.  If all else fails, the poly will be good enough to last until we put some flooring up there. 

Austin

alex trent

Agreed..rough T&G sounds like the solution.  Block, block, block..lots of work and still not great.

John Raabe

Our subfloor was 3/4" T&G ply ACX at 16" o/c for a main floor and we painted the ply with two coats of standard floor paint. It held up pretty well for three years until we could afford finish flooring. It was easy and cheap to repaint. I have also painted OSB which is quite rough and it is not barefoot friendly.

You will want to block the square edges as mentioned. You should be fine at 24" spacing for the attic.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

flyingvan

Have you considered biscuit joining the edges?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

CjAl

lowes carries a t&g. 3/4" underlayment. it is osb but with some poly it will be fine. it is under $17 a sheet

old_guy

Maybe cheap T&G with a pretty 1/4" sheet on top of it.

T&G for strength, pretty for, well, pretty.

dablack

CjAl,

HD has the rockin bid right now.  They came down a good bit and I doubt the lowes guy are going to beat it.  Their bid came in a good 15% more but they just gave me advertising price where the Depot gave me a good discount.

flyingvan,

I actually had considered bisciut joining the edges as I do have a bisciut joiner but if I don't have to, I would perfer not to.

John and alextrent,

Yeah, I think I'm just going to go rough.  if I have to rent a sander, then I will.  Sand a little and put some poly on.  No big deal.  If it is that bad, then I will come back and put something down.

thanks
Austin

CjAl

home depot is always cheaper but my closest is lufkin and thats over an hour away. my local parkers beat lowes on everything except the 2x10x10. i may just drive to lowes and buy those and have parker deliver the rest.

dablack

No Parkers up here.  My choices were Home Depot, Lowes, McCoys, and Harry's Building.  That is also the order in which I dropped off the bid sheet and the order of cost from least to most.  The more people I got prices from, the most expensive it got.  HA!