Composing Messages For Best Readability

Started by MountainDon, March 28, 2008, 10:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Perhaps I notice this problem more than some others. I can't say for sure. However, when reading a longer message posting, that is one consisting of several lines worth of text stretching across the screen with no paragraph breaks, the readability suffers. It is much easier to read a long message with the thoughts broken into shorter groupings, paragraphs. When writing up something with a series of steps, it can be especially beneficial to readers if the steps are broken into lines or at least smaller groupings.

For anybody using Firefox as their browser this is less of a problem. Fire fox has a built in magnifier/reducer for text on a webpage. For those unfamiliar with the feature press and hold down the Ctrl key and press the  +  key. Text on the page will get larger. Text within images, like logos, buttons and so on will not change size. There doesn't seem to be an upper limit.

The large text can be reduced as well. This is done by holding the Ctrl key down and pressing the  (minus) key.

Just FYI, and thanks.  MD

For example I could have written this message as...

Perhaps I notice this problem more than some others. I can't say for sure. However, when reading a longer message posting, that is one consisting of several lines worth of text stretching across the screen with no paragraph breaks, the readability suffers. It is much easier to read a long message with the thoughts broken into shorter groupings, paragraphs. When writing up something with a series of steps, it can be especially beneficial to readers if the steps are broken into lines or at least smaller groupings. For anybody using Firefox as their browser this is less of a problem. Fire fox has a built in magnifier/reducer for text on a webpage. For those unfamiliar with the feature press and hold down the Ctrl key and press the  +  key. Text on the page will get larger. Text within images, like logos, buttons and so on will not change size. There doesn't seem to be an upper limit. The large text can be reduced as well. This is done by holding the Ctrl key down and pressing the  (minus) key. Just FYI, and thanks.  MD

To me that's harder to follow and that is a short message.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

One further note. When including more than one picture in series, it helps to insert an extra line feed between images.  Pressing the Enter key twice after pasting in the image tag code will achieve that.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Good point and I am to old & no time to go back to school now. I did go back and bust up what I wrote cause it is easier to read that way. Us old guys with glasses like me it is easier to follow with a few breaks in the text. Boy need to add a line on the pictures to? Mark

MountainDon

JRR

Quote from: MountainDon on March 28, 2008, 10:49:46 AM
.... Test within images, ....

To me that's harder to follow and that is a short message.

????

(LOL)