24 x 12 Cabin in Central PA

Started by williamt, January 19, 2011, 11:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamt

Hello

I thought I'd share my cabin in Central PA with everyone.  The main structure is 24 x 12 with a 12 x 12 second floor.  This is built on 12" dia concrete piers and laminated 2x10 beams.  The bathroom was added on this year and is 8x10. The bath and porch are on 8" posts. 

A view from across the foot bridge

Looking at the front of the cabin. All of the shutters are two layers of 1" thick rough cut lumber and very tough. The concrete piers will be buried in a fieldstone wall around the base of the main structure ( you can see where i started during the summer.

View of the rear, south side. The bath addition to the left.  My solar panels will be on the high roof, which gets alot of sun even in the winter. Had to install the direct tv to keep the girlfriend happy.

From the porch towards the foot bridge

Inside looking towards the front. The panels are the backing for future colonial paneling and the osb will be covered by wainscot.

Inside looking to the south. My homemade futon in the foreground (like to sleep close to the woodburner this time of year). Kitchenette. Bath doorway to the right of the stairs.

Inside the bath. the shower will be to the left with a sink behind the roll of wiggle board. the power center is straight ahead in what is to be a closet in the toilet room.

The future power center.  120v panel on the left and 12 lighting panel on the right.  The big box at the lower right connects to the battery box on the porch via 2" conduit. right now i use the lone marine battery for back up lights. the space above the battery is for the inverter and battery charger. going to put the charge controller above the big junction box.

Here's the foreman wondering why I'm taking pictures and not working!

Hope all the pics work and thanks for looking

Will

Redoverfarm

w* Will. Looks inviting.  Is this a seasonal getaway or permanent residence.  Yes the little box stove doesn't give out much heat for very long not being air tight but will work in a pinch.  Thanks for posting.

williamt

thanks

This will one day be my home, but for now i work in manhattan and come home every other weekend.  I grew up 12 mile from my land.

Im actually changing out the wood stove this weekend for a bigger one and a proper install.  The boxwood was a freebee I threw in last year just to get some quick heat.

John Raabe

Nice work on a fun project. Opposing shed roofs is a time tested design for a loft and it keeps the roof slope low.

Looks like you have a demanding boss - but looking at that bone, he may work cheap.  :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

apl.1984

this is for you pepere

nathan.principe