Plywood  Subfloor Protection

Started by pioneergal, January 17, 2006, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

Hi everybody!

DH was wondering about the effects of Thompson Water Seal or possibly some other product (?) to safely seal and protect the plywood subfloor from the rain and elements.

I thought that I had been told to NOT apply Thompson's to the pylwood.......maybe I heard wrong.

I spent some time last night trying to locate the thread about weatherizing the house shell from the outside elements but did not find it.

We bought tarps for a covering but the wind blows constantly up on the hill and keeping the subfloor covered is a challenge.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Oh yeah.....we got little more done on the walls yesterday  :)  but won't be able to work on the framing again until Saturday.

Jackie

rampage

I was going to look into renting portable tent like structures to keep over my project while i worked. I assume they have these services in the rest of the country. We use them for temporary shelter during big events, like when the TPC comes to town and i even know of a night club that uses it on thier deck overlooking the water during the winter so that they can still enjoy being out side.

glenn-k

There is a product called DEFY sold by the log home store in Oregon that keeps about 98% of the water out and will breath to allow trapped moisture out.  Helps prevent mold etc too.  I have used it and am happy with it.

Log Home Store - DEFY

Article on finishes

A temporary ridge board raised a bit over the floor will help keep water draining off to the sides if the tarp is tied tight.

pioneergal

Glen,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yesterday I applied (soaked) Thompsons Water Seal to a 12x18 piece of plywood.

I went out this morning to check  for any swelling and etc. and it looks as it did before I applied the TWS.

Our concern is  that .the pocket is a little empty and it may be a couple of weeks before we can get a top over the structure.

Meanwhile, the forcast is calling for some rain and we're concerned about the subfloor.

I called our local building supply and they've not heard of DEFY.

I'll call a few other places later today to check with them about the product.

Again, thanks for your help!

Jackie

glenn-k

I ordered mine direct from the Log Home store link above - they ship promptly.  In the meantime the tarps streched tight and raised in the center may help.