The " $ 1,000,000.00 Question ?"

Started by schiada, July 06, 2014, 07:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schiada

How do you know and when is it the time to start building ? How do you know you have the right stuff ? Is their a test I need to take ?
Randy

John Raabe

You are ready to build when:
• You are solid with your plan (both the site plan and the building plan).
• You have your tools together and you know how to use them.
• You have your team together.

Note that much of the early work is often done by others with specialized equipment. You may be supervising road work, site clearing, well drilling, power company work, and such. It usually takes more time (and money) than you would think before you get to actually cut wood.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: schiada on July 06, 2014, 07:24:40 PM
How do you know and when is it the time to start building ? How do you know you have the right stuff ? Is their a test I need to take ?
Randy

What are you going to build? My grandfather use to say sleep on it for some time. If you are really focused, there will be a time when providence takes over and you just feel it is right.  It also helps if you love the place.  Good Luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"

schiada

Hi, Dave.
Its a 1 1/2 story,24' x 38' with a garage / shop basement.
Randy

Dave Sparks

We did a similar design.  We did forget to put the garage on the right wall  and by luck it ended up not being where the snow falls off. It would have been a pain if the roof slope was where the garage was, or any things like that.
If there are internal stairs, and if you are going to cool the place, install a door to keep the cold air from falling into the garage. It can waste energy but again we were spared from this mistake as we made the bottom of the stairway into a wine cellar for summer.  With this 2 floor design it is warm upstairs in summer without electrically cooling the air. Very nice upstairs in winter!  Good Luck!
"we go where the power lines don't"